Letters and Diary Fiction posted July 15, 2015 Chapters:  ...35 36 -37- 38... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Life through a child's eyes.

A chapter in the book Miscellaneous stories

The Hippo-Cat

by CD Richards


Dear Father Thomas,

When I grow up, I want to be a hippo-cat. That's what my big brother Johnny (he's 14, and he's kissed a girl before) says my parents are.

He says he knows they are hippo-cats because they tell us that fighting is bad and violence doesn't solve anything. But they fight all the time -- mostly when they think we aren't listening -- but not always. And what happens when we do something wrong? They hit us!

My mom got as mad as hell when I told her I got a B in science, but it was really a C-. She made me spend the whole day in my room for lying. But dad told the IRS (I'm not really sure who that is, but they are bad people) that he earns much less than he really does. I guess lying is ok when the people you lie to are bad, or you need a new car.

Mom says that Jesus told us we should love our neighbor. Well, that's cool, because Mrs Watson is really nice. She even throws my ball back when it goes over the fence. And just like mom and dad, she doesn't like wetbacks and towelheads either.

Johnny got belted for stealing dad's cigarettes. I sure hope dad doesn't notice the whiskey that's missing from the bottle in his study.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about that. But one day when I'm big I want to be a hippo-cat too.

From,

Kevin.


P.S. I didn't like that game we played yesterday, it made me feel funny.



Through the eyes of a child writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short story (100-500 words). The story must include a child's perspective of an object or situation. The story may be told from the viewpoint of the child, or an adult.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. CD Richards All rights reserved.
CD Richards has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.