General Fiction posted July 10, 2015 Chapters:  ...24 25 -26- 27... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Laura retrieves her phone

A chapter in the book A New Beginning

A Ghostly Call Part Two

by alexisleech


Laura had decided to scare off the woman she thought was Igor’s girlfriend by switching off the lights in his room and ringing her mobile with the recently acquired, ghostly ringtone that she’d hidden under his bed. Fortunately, she finds out the girl waiting for Igor is not the corpulent Mazeija who had turned up the week before, but a pretty Polish girl he’d met at the gym, so she aborts her plan. On the way to her top floor flat, she bumps into Igor. He’s in a state of panic because Catarina nearly passed out when he kissed her. Unbeknown to either of them, Samantha had possessed Catarina's body while they kissed, but she jumped back out again when Catarina felt faint. Satisfied that Catarina is fine, Laura leaves them in peace and goes to her flat. After she leaves, Igor and Catarina make love, then Igor walks her home.



From the previous chapter

Samantha lay on the bed where Igor and Catarina had made love before their hasty departure. Watching them had unsettled her so much. It had reminded her of how it was with Andrew. Their nights together at the hotel were not only passionate, but loving as well, and just like Igor and Catarina, they had talked as lovers do afterwards, their bodies flushed with the afterglow of their lovemaking. She closed her eyes and imagined his arms around her, his lips on hers, and the aching inside her was so intense she could hardly bear it.
 
     ‘Oh, Andrew,’ she cried. ‘I miss you so much…’
 
     Her eyes snapped open when the sound of a ghostly voice filled the room.
    

 
**********
 
 
All around the bed there seemed to be a halo of light as the voice called out to her. The sound of rattling chains echoing in the background was one of the scariest things Samantha had ever heard both in this life and the last.
 
     ‘Andrew…’ she whispered. ‘Andrew… is it you?’
 
     The voice let out another agonised moan and the chains clanked again, which had Samantha pulling up her knees to her chest and hugging them as she cowered on the bed. Had her Andrew died and ended up in hell? And if that was the case, had he been sent to get her? Much though she loved him, the thought of ending up in a place that represented a fate worse than death, filled her with a feeling of incredible dread. Did she deserve to go to hell? She had hoped not, although she knew committing suicide was regarded as a sin by many. Maybe it was because she had an affair with a married man who had been joined to his wife in the eyes of God. Andrew had told her he and his wife no longer loved each other, but what if that didn’t matter? Her Catholic upbringing had taught her that the sanctity of marriage should never be broken, the reason she’d assumed Andrew would never leave his wife. Yes, that she decided, was why he had been sent to get her.

     ‘Please, Andrew…’ she sobbed. ‘Please don’t take me there…’

     Suddenly, it went silent, and the dim light that had radiated from under the bed disappeared…
 
**********
 
Laura glanced up from the TV when a flicker of movement on the CCTV monitor caught her eye. Although there was nothing anyone could steal from the reception area where the camera was located, Laura still liked to keep an eye on it until she went to bed. When she saw it was Igor and Catarina leaving through the front door, she let out a sigh of relief. Having to get out of her pyjamas and go downstairs to deal with a roaming guest was the last thing she wanted at this time of night. She also realised it would give her the opportunity to retrieve her mobile phone from under Igor’s bed, instead of getting it in the morning after he went down to the kitchen to cook breakfast. She hadn’t really thought things through when she put it there in the first place, and should it start ringing and Igor discover it, she had no way of explaining why it was there in the first place.
 
     With the retrieval of her phone foremost in her mind, Laura quickly pulled on her dressing gown and shot down the stairs before she padded quietly along to Igor’s room, the master key in her hand…
 
 
**********
 
 
Mark was beginning to feel very frustrated. What had started as a relaxing evening watching Big Brother, with the added bonus of hopefully making love to his wife after it was finished, had turned into a huge disappointment because Karen was still fretting about the bloody kitchen door being unlocked at the Bedford.
 
     ‘But you don’t understand!’ she wailed. ‘There must be about four hundred pounds worth of meat and poultry in the walk-in chiller. Not only is it valuable, it would take me hours to replace all that stuff at short notice, and nobody delivers on a Saturday. I have a fiftieth birthday party booked for thirty-six people tomorrow night. It would be a total disaster if it was stolen.’
 
     ‘And she’s not answering either of her phones?’ Mark asked as he feigned interest in what Karen was obviously turning into a full-scale drama in her head.
 
     She shot him an irritated look. ‘I told you. I tried to phone the hotel number before I left the carpark, and I’ve just tried her mobile. She didn’t answer either of them. I think I’m just going to have to go back. I won’t get a wink of sleep worrying about it if I don’t.’
 
     Mark flopped back on the pillows and realised that making love to Karen definitely wasn’t going to happen if she went back to the hotel to lock up. ‘Why don’t you try ringing her one more time?’ he suggested as a last ditch attempt to put their evening back on track. ‘She might have been in the bar or on her way to her flat when you rang before. There could be a dozen reasons why she didn’t pick up. Anything’s got to be better than you driving all the way back there when she could just nip down the stairs and lock the door instead.'
 
     Karen stopped pulling on her top and looked back at him. ‘You think?’ she asked. God knows, she didn’t like the idea of having to drive back to the hotel either.
 
     Seeing her hesitate, Mark tried to drive the point home. ‘Well, what have you got to lose? If you manage to get hold of her on the phone, it could save a wasted journey and…’ He picked up the edge of the duvet and pointed to his rapidly deflating manhood. ‘It would save wasting this as well.’
 
      That did it! Since they’d got back together their sex life had been wonderful, and Karen was enjoying it as much as Mark. After she grabbed her phone again, she sat on the bed beside Mark and felt him massage her shoulders while she waited for Laura to answer.
 
 
**********
 
Samantha was literally climbing up the wall. Her need to get out of the room before Andrew came back to take her to hell, had her trying to melt through the walls and window, to no avail. She was trapped in this launch-pad to the hereafter, and now she thought she knew what that hereafter was, she was desperate to escape. In all the movies she’d watched before she died, ghosts could wander around freely and pass through inanimate objects, but she couldn’t work out how to do it. She thought, when she merged into Catarina’s body earlier, she had discovered some hitherto unknown powers, but it would seem that was where her power stopped. Like a rabbit caught in the headlamps of a car, she watched in horror as the halo of light appeared under the bed again and the ghostly voice started to wail just as loudly as before.
 
     ‘Please…’ she begged as she waited to be sucked through the floor like she’d seen happen to bad people in the movie, ‘Ghost.’ ‘I promise to repent my sins… I never meant to hurt anyone…’
 
     When Laura reached the door of Igor’s room, she panicked when she heard the faint sound of the ghostly ringtone of her mobile. By the time she opened the door and grabbed it from under the bed, it had stopped ringing. It wasn’t a problem though because it was a call from Karen, and she could return it as soon as she got back to her flat. Her main priority now was to get out of Igor's room before he came home.
 
     As she climbed the flight of stairs to the third floor, Laura felt relieved that she’d averted a disaster, but she also felt ‘different’ in a way she couldn’t quite understand.



 



Recognized


For those who haven't read the previous chapters, the 'ghostly' voice is actually the ringtone on Laura's mobile phone, which she hid under the bed because she wanted to frighten Mazeija, the woman she mistakenly thought was Igor's girlfriend.

My thanks to Cleo85 for the use of this wonderful image.

Please note Igor's speech is sometimes spelt incorrectly deliberately.

Laura; The owner of the Bedford hotel

Igor; The Sous chef at the Bedford hotel

Karen; The head chef at the Bedford, and Laura's friend

Mazeija; Igor's half cousin who caused him to leave his uncle's house after he arrived in the UK because of her unending sexual advances.

Catarina; The Polish girl Igor has admired many times at his local gym, but only met for the first time the week before.

Samantha; The Bedford's resident ghost who had been without company for years because her room was turned into a storeroom after she frightened all guests who slept in it. She is determined not to frighten Igor though because she loves having him there.

Andrew; The lover who turned up too late to stop Samantha from committing suicide several years before.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. alexisleech All rights reserved.
alexisleech has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.