General Fiction posted July 4, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Seniors don't live as well as prisoners

Homesick

by Spiritual Echo

I noticed an old, dishevelled woman sitting on a park bench, sobbing and obviously in distress. Though she looked dirty and had a distinct odor, I sat down and asked if there was someone I could call.

"No," she wallowed. "There's no one. Last week I had a bed, clean clothes and decent meals."

"No longer?"

"They released me. Said my time was done and to get out."

"You were a prisoner?"

She nodded.

"How can I help you?"

"You could let me steal your purse."

"I want to get you help--not more trouble."

"Please...I want to go home."



 



The Prisoner writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
In 100 words, or less, write a short story--not necessarily a flash-fiction, though it could be--on the theme/subject/topic of 'prisoner'. It could be literal or metaphoric.

Recognized


The per diem food budget for prisoners is more than is allocated for seniors in nursing homes. Many desperate seniors will commit petty crimes hoping to get into the prison system so they have a clean bed and enough food to survive. Sad, isn't it?

100 words
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Spiritual Echo All rights reserved.
Spiritual Echo has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.