General Fiction posted June 29, 2015


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a flash fiction

a mother's eyes

by judester

The Drink Contest Winner 

John was living the perfect life. He had a beautiful wife, two young boys and his dream house. He worked hard at his popular restaurant and everyone loved him.

He had a rough beginning in life. His mom raised him alone and worked as a cleaning woman. It was hard work, but allowed John to go to college for a business degree, then cooking school in Italy.

It was there that he acquired a taste for wine. After cooking school, he decided to stay in Italy for a year. He ran with the jet set crowd and was introduced to cocaine and heavy drinking.

When he returned home, he continued to party.
His mother was disappointed in him. He would come home in the middle of the night drunk to the point he could not stand.

One day she sat him down and in tears they both decided it was time for him to stop drinking and get his life together. In his mother's eyes, he saw the light.

The next day John checked himself into a clinic to stop drinking. During his two month rehab, he met his future business partner and best friend.

He then met Sarah at the restaurant's grand opening and they got married within a month. The children came soon after. John was settled and happy. He had everything and thanked God for turning his life around.

His partner's wedding was on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. As he sat watching his wife and kids dancing on the dance floor, the waiter came by and offered him some champagne.
"Uh, no" he said, then suddenly, he took the glass offered.

The cold champagne was like a sweet elixier going down his throat. That was his last sober thought.

He remembered his wife looking at him like a dirty stranger as he stumbled across the grass to his car.

He awoke in the hospital with his mother and wife by his side. His mom didn't say anything. She didn't have to, but eyes shone with a light of forgiveness and love. His wife saw mother and son and knew that an unknown demon had been beaten.

He was an alcoholic and that was the sad truth.

The feeling of regret and failure blanketed him in sorrow, but in his mother's eyes he saw that familiar light. The love that let him know that it was going to be okay. He smiled at his wife and mom, knowing that he was truly free.

He now knew that he would never have another drink. He returned home, to his perfect life.


Writing Prompt
You (or your character) take a sip of a drink and feel different. What happens?

The Drink
Contest Winner


Thanks to suzannethompson2 for the perfect eyes
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by suzannethompson2 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. judester All rights reserved.
judester has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.