General Fiction posted June 24, 2015


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Two women meet at a bar

What are the Odds

by Ric Myworld

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

A sweltering-hot afternoon, Nancy decided to stop working for the day as she wheeled into the parking lot at Sweeney’s on the Green and headed to the bar for some libations.
 
She had no sooner sat down than another woman took a seat at the other end of the bar.

Tom, the bartender, greeted them with his usual charismatic smile, and said, “Hello, ladies.” He finished washing a glass and stepped over to take Nancy’s order.

“What’ll you have, Miss Nancy?”

“Well, I don't know Tommy, how about one of your famous frozen-strawberry margaritas?”
 
“Great choice, my dear,” he said, as he grabbed up a shaker and started spinning it like a top on the tips of his fingers.

“And what’ll it be for you, pretty Patti?”

Patti thought for a moment before choosing, “You know, I’ve never had one of your specialties, so just fix me one of what she’s having."

“Two salt-rimmed, icy Rita’s coming up,” Tom said, shaking the mix as he jiggled his hips and strutted to the Latin beats coming from the Jukebox.
 
“So Nancy, where have you been hiding ...? You don’t grace us with your presence much anymore.”
 
“Well, I work all the time, these days ... and really, I don’t get out or drink very often.”

“Now, girl, I can remember when you could guzzle booze with the big boys. You were always here on weekends and a time or two during the week.” Her cheeks reddened and her angry eyes glared daggers at Tom; making it impossible for him not to get the message.
 
“Yeah, I guess that’s true, but for the last year or so I’ve been seeing someone and staying home.”

“Oh, sounds serious.” Tom chuckled and winked.

“Well, I thought it was ... but the last month, I’m beginning to wonder.”

“Uh, oh, might be trouble on the home front.”

“You could be right. He was a sweetheart ... but as of late, he prefers running with the boys. At forty-four, I would say that he should have already outgrown all that.”

“Well ... let’s hope that for his sake, he has ... it sure sounds like he’s about to get an ultimatum.”

“I don’t give ultimatums, Tom ... but, I am just about fed up with his attitude and lies.”

“Ouch! Go get him girl.”

“What about you Ms. Patti ... is all good?” Tom asked.
 
“Hell if I know," she said. "I gave up years ago trying to figure out when it’s good or bad ... I never know what’s on my man’s mind, or when and if he’s coming home ... therefore, I just quit cooking and keep busy with the kids. Now, it’s got to where lately, my old man comes home more than ever.”

“So, I guess it's all good then, huh?”

“Oh, at this point in life, it’s fine either way with me ... I’ve put up with his foolishness so long that I don’t give a damn what he does anymore. We say hi in passing with a peck on the cheek and go our separate ways.“

“You girls have to sit so far apart? Come on down here Patti and sit beside Nancy. That way I can talk to you both without having to walk back and forth.” Patti walked over to the stool beside Nancy, held out her hand, and Tom made the introductions.

“So, Patti, what do you do for a living?” Nancy asked.

“I’m a pharmaceutical rep, and a mother of two. What about you?”
 
Nancy hesitated, taking a deep breath and exhaling with a sigh before answering, “I’m vice president in charge of sales for a manufacturing company, covering the Eastern U. S. I love children, but I don’t have any.”

“Do you want a couple? I have two that you can have, cheap. Forget I said cheap, you could have them ... take ‘um, please,” Patti, offered jokingly, pretending to pull her hair out. Those words hit their buttons, both bursting into giggles.

“I know good and well that I don’t want any children whose own mother is willing to give them away. They must be little monsters.”
 
“Seriously, they are wonderful and I wouldn’t trade them for the world. Nevertheless, they can drive me crazy at times. Of course, I’m sure that’s true of all children. Hell, men are three-times worse.”

“I’ll second that ... for sure. Nothing is more aggravating than men.” Nancy’s expressionless face gave evidence of her unhappiness.

“You know Nancy, I don’t want to sound meddlesome, but if you don’t mind, let me give you a little friendly advice. Don’t let your whole life revolve around a man ... not saying that you do, just in case.”

“I’m actually new to this relationship thing. I haven’t had a steady boyfriend since junior-high school. And right now, I’m beginning to understand why.” Her phony laugh, as she tried to stay upbeat, couldn’t hide the agony in her eyes.
 
“Well, Nancy, I’m sorry you are having such a hard time ... I’m sure it will get better.”

“I’m not so sure ... and I’m beginning to wonder if I even want it to. This isn’t what I bargained for. I guess you could call it women’s intuition, or imagination, or whatever, but I just feel like there is someone else ... and if there is—when I know for sure—it’s over ... right then and there.”
 
“Nancy, dear, I’ve said those same words a million times, and I’ve even caught mine cheating, twice ... I swore my whole life that if I ever caught a man cheating on me that it would be over, but both times I took his mangy butt back, for the kid’s sake."
 
“I’m so sorry Patti.”

“Oh, it’s okay ... it really is. As long as the children are happy, I’m good.” Sounding convincing, and who knows, in time, she might even make herself believe it.

“I’ll tell you what ... let me give you my name, address, and phone number ... sometimes, we all need someone else to talk with besides friends and family, who can make matters worse. Here, take this, and please don’t hesitate to call if you ever need someone to listen.”

“Thanks, I appreciate your kind offer,” Nancy said, as she read Patti’s information from the cocktail napkin. Then, she asked, “Osborne, huh ... you wouldn’t have a brother named Bobby Osborne would you?"

"No, Nancy, I don’t ... just a husband."

 



Two women sit at a deserted bar writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story using the premise two woman sit at an otherwise deserted bar. They share a secret. They strike up a friendship.

Recognized


Two women meet, have a conversation, and attempt to become friends while sitting at a bar.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Ric Myworld All rights reserved.
Ric Myworld has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.