Fantasy Science Fiction posted June 19, 2015 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Cadence and C-Daddy go the the mall to follow a theory.

A chapter in the book Destiny's Angel

The Mall

by davisr (Rhonda)



Background
Cadence and C-Daddy left the police station where they let them know Cadence was safe and offered their theory about who had taken Sarah. Dismissed by the police, they head to the mall to investigate.
The Last Post:

C-Daddy paused a minute as he turned the key in the ignition and waited for the engine to fire up. Only then did he turn to Cadence and answer.

"Of course," he replied, "and I know his brother, Henry's real name, too. I plan to use them one day when I'm ready for the axman's final thrust."

"Great, it all comes down to a name, and names seem to fly about around here like those little butterflies on Bram's arm. So, where are we headed?"

"To the light."

Once again, Cadence wished for a larger and stronger vehicle, but, she wondered, would it make any difference if they were in a tank?


*****

New Post:


"The mall?" Cadence asked. "Why are we at mall? You think this is Serpent's hideout?"

"It is one of them," C-Daddy replied, "and as this is the Christmas season, it's where they are most of the time."

"Why?"

"What better place to spread discord? Oftentimes, seasons that should inspire love for one another, become breeding grounds for chaos and despair, and that is exactly where the Serpents would want to be."

"Why didn't you tell the detectives when we were at the police station earlier?"

"They have their own investigation, and aren't interested in an old man's theories."

"But this is more than a theory, right?"

C-Daddy paused to think as he pulled into a parking spot close to the entrance.

"We shall soon see," he replied, "and now, enter C-Daddy the Conqueror, and his trusty sidekick, Cadence, the strong at heart."

"Are you serious, C-Daddy? We are way out-gunned here."

"Are you scared?"

"Of course I am, and frustrated, too. Sarah's mother hasn't even shown up, and this story is all over the news. You would think she'd at least care enough to come see what's happening to her daughter."

"That would be nice, but not everyone who gives birth is cut out to be a parent. Sarah has her father, and he loves her enough for both parents. Sometimes that's how it works, and it's okay. Don't worry, remember, we have right on our side."

"I would be happier with a team of SWAT officers."

"Oh, my dove, often a few succeed where many fail."

"Really? Name one example."

"There was once a man who had twelve very special friends," C-Daddy said, "and they changed the world."

"They were also martyred."

"Some things are worth dying for."

"Is that what we came here to do?"

"Not if we can avoid it," C-Daddy said. "Now, let's head inside, because I have a feeling that's where Sarah is being held."

Cadence chose not to question C-Daddy further as she knew that to do so would get her nowhere. She had already made the choice to follow him, and follow him she did, right into the center of a Christmas shopping wonderland. In spite of her situation, Cadence breathed in the atmosphere and exhaled out tension and worry. What was it about Christmas that resonated with her inner being? She hoped the feeling would be enough to carry her through her trials ahead. Like she told C-Daddy, she was scared.

"So, where do we start?"

"Where do you think is the busiest part of the whole store?" C-Daddy asked.

"Either the Food Court or the toy store."

"I completely agree. Why don't you take the Food Court and I'll go to the toy store?"

"Do you think it's wise for us to split up?" Cadence asked. "I have absolutely no idea what to do if I find the Serpents."

"Call me."

C-Daddy headed away and towards the left, presumably for the toy store.

"But you don't have a cellphone," Cadence yelled.

C-Daddy glanced over his shoulder and cupped both hands to his mouth to indicate that she should scream. Fine, she thought, she could definitely do that, but she felt doubtful about his ability to hear her across a crowded mall. But then, again, he had found her at the school when she needed him.

Suddenly, Cadence wondered how C-Daddy had found her earlier when the twins assailed her. It had never occurred to her to ask when she had the chance. She had been so glad to be rescued that she hadn't bothered to find out how or why. Hopefully he would find and rescue Sarah as easily. The thought gave her a measure of hope, and sometimes that's all you need.

Cadence let herself think for a moment and consider her options. She decided she could run to the police and tell them what was going on, wimp out and follow C-Daddy to the toy store, or she could gather the pieces of her shattered courage and go to the Food Court alone. None of the options felt comfortable, but what had C-Daddy told her earlier, that she might have to leave comfort behind for awhile? Fine, she would go to the Food Court. Before she got far, however, a familiar voice called out to her.

"Leo," Cadence said. "What are you doing here?"

"I work here. Remember, I told you I got a job."

"I know you said you were working, I just didn't know it was at the mall. Which store?"

"Oh, it's not a store. I'm working at Decoria's Diner."

"In the Food Court?"

"Yeah."

"Great, that's where I'm headed."

"What happened to you today?" He asked. "The police showed up right after advisory to find out about Sarah. They wanted to talk to you, but you were nowhere to be found. Someone said they saw you following some man out the side door and towards a blue sedan - one just like the security cameras showed that Sarah got into. You need to get hold of the police and let them know you are safe."

"I have," Cadence said. "They questioned me for a bit, and then told me I could go. They said they would get back with me later if they needed."

"Okay, but what are you doing at the mall now? Surely it's not just to go shopping."

"You remember how I told you I met with C-Daddy at the homeless shelter?"

"Yeah, the homeless dude, that got you chased all over Baltimore by guys with guns."

"Yes, well, he rescued me from the kidnappers earlier. They just about got me, too - long story, but it seems they are old friends of his that have gone bad."

"Okay, that's creepy, but I'm glad you weren't kidnapped. I guess you told all of this to the cops while you were there."

"C-Daddy went with me, and we told them everything. They noted the information down, but, they took very little notice of his theory. Apparently he's been in there before complaining about the guys, who are twins, and they are a bit tired of the story."

"So what do you have planned here?"

"I'm not really sure, but C-Daddy seems to think they and the other Serpents are holed up here, and might even have Sarah with them. I'm guessing he wants to make sure, and then call in the police with evidence they can act on. He's chosen to go look around in the toy store for clues, and I to the Food Court."

"That's it? That's your plan, and you are basing it on the word of homeless dude?"

"Leo, I know it sounds crazy. It does to me, too, but I trust this guy. He is definitely more than he seems. Not only did he rescue me from the weird twins, but they are scared of him, Leo, and he knows things about them, things the police don't even know. We have to give him a chance. It's not like the police aren't following their own leads."

Leo thought a moment and then nodded.

"Okay."

Cadence suspected the reason he gave in so easily was because of his innate distrust of law enforcement. She hoped this distrust could buy her enough time to check out C-Daddy's plan, although she was a bit surprised at her eagerness to do so. What happened to her careful, conservative ways? All she had wanted was the donation promised to her toy drive, and now here she was in the middle of some bizarre adventure.

"Let's go get something to eat and see what happens," Cadence said. "If C-Daddy is the crackpot you think he is, then nothing will happen, and all we will do is eat. If not, and he's actually on to something, then we might just find Sarah. It's worth a shot."

By this time, Cadence and Leo had made their way up to the Food Court. They headed for Decoria's Diner upon Leo's insistence. He didn't need to clock in for half an hour, but he wanted her to "check out" his new place of business. Cadence walked up to the counter and placed her order for a chef salad with chicken. Leo got a hamburger and fries.

They sat together at a table beside a beautiful fountain complete with a surrounding wishing well. Several children played around the outside. Some threw in pennies for luck, while others splashed in the cool water with eager chubby hands.

"What are we looking for?" Leo asked, interrupting the scene.

"I have no earthly idea, and I don't even know if I'm in the right spot. I figure I will just play it by ear."

Leo laughed and acted like he was going to comment, but no words escaped his mouth. Instead it fell open in shock, and his eyes stared incredulously at the fountain.

Cadence followed his gaze. There standing in the middle of the spraying water, was a woman of surpassing beauty. Long amber curls surrounded pale skin, and bright glassy blue eyes shown from an ageless face. She wore a shimmering blue gown that flowed with the water, but seemed untouched by it. Red lips parted to show perfectly white teeth. Her hand was held out before her as though bidding someone to take it, and that someone she was gazing at was Leo.




Thank for the artwork, " Green Fountain" by GaliaG. It is beautiful and inspiring, and adds to the meaning of the chapter.


Baltimore .....Setting of most of the story
Ellicott City ..... A quaint shopping district outside Baltimore where part of the story takes place
Benjamin Franklin High School .....School Cadence where Cadence teaches
Destiny's Angel ..... Store in Ellicott City owned by Nick Collins
Time and Time Again ..... Charles' store next door to Destiny's Angel
American Rescue Workers .....Shelter where C-Daddy lives

Serpents ..... Bad Guys made up of gods and humans
Henry/Hypnos .....Twin of Thantos: one of the bad gods - god of hypnosis and sleep
Bram/Thantos ..... Twin of Hypnos: one of the bad gods - god of death
Ares: Evil sister goddess

C-Daddy ..... Homeless man who ends up at the center of the adventure
Nick Collins ..... Mysterious Angel Donor. Owns store, "Destiny's Angel"
Charles ..... Nick's son
Alvin ..... Young man who works at the mall
Barkley: Cab driver

Cadence Uriel ..... 30 year old Chemistry teacher
Shanice ..... Student Council president
Leonardo (Leo) ..... Student Council Vice President
Mia ..... Student Council Secretary
Sarah ..... Student Council Treasurer
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.