Satire Poetry posted June 15, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Scientific name: Oncidium Cariniferum Ballerina

5-7-5 (this ballerina)

by Dawn Munro

this ballerina
cannot perform pirouettes
no shoes for dancing



Recognized


Videos courtesy of YouTube.

This orchid is found in Australia, although it is so rare there is a website devoted specifically to sightings of it.

However, interestingly enough there is also a website selling the seeds! (Hmm, I wonder if they are hard to grow...)

Without the picture you would not know the ballerina is a flower, but that is the (subtle) point - she has no shoes because as beautiful as she is, she has no feet. (Imagine - a dancer with no feet!) (Perhaps she is lame, perhaps she is just too poor to buy shoes, and so on.)

A senryu is not about nature - it is about people - this poem should not be about a flower to be a true senryu - the orchid is merely the vehicle for the message.

The beauty of Japanese poetry (IMO) is how truly complex it is, rife with hidden meaning or layers beneath a very deceptive simplistic surface.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dawn Munro All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Dawn Munro has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.