General Fiction posted June 8, 2015 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Cadence decides to run the race set before her.

A chapter in the book Destiny's Angel

The Strong at Heart

by davisr (Rhonda)



Background
Ongoing Fantasy/Sci Fi story about an inner city teacher, Cadence Uriel, from Baltimore who tries to help her students by chasing after a promised donation to the school's toy drive.
Last of old post:

******


"If I were to guess," he replied, "I would say that the mugging was just a seasonal crime of convenience, and they didn't know who I was at the time of it. When the bosses figured it out and discovered who I was carrying the package to, then the rest just unfolded."

"And the kids and I just happened to be..."

"In the wrong place at the wrong time," they said together.

Cadence shrugged her shoulders and tilted her head to one side, allowing long blonde curls to cascade down her shoulder and onto the pictures on the bed. She reached a hand up to brush them back, thinking, as she often did, that she was too old for girlish curls.

C-Daddy caught her hand gently and gave it a squeeze.

"Your hair is beautiful," he said. "Please don't restrain it."

Cadence complied, laying her hand back on the bed and smiling shyly. Why did she suddenly care what C-Daddy thought about her hair?

******

The Story Continues:

"So, how does Nick Collins play into this scenario?" She asked. "Just another innocent bystander?"

"The easy answer would be, yes," C-Daddy said, "but the truth of the matter may be more complicated. Events that often seem unrelated often have common strands."

"Like in the book, "The Bridge of San Luis Rey", by Thornton Wilder," Cadence said. "You know, where the bridge collapses and the people killed have relating events in their lives."

"I guess you could look at it that way."

"The students read it in English class at my school."

"Good book," C-Daddy said, "and nice man, that Thornton, for a Yale guy."

"You are not old enough to have known him," Cadence said with a laugh. "He lived in the 1920's."

"Just speaking figuratively," he said.

C-Daddy turned away and began stuffing his treasures back into the package. He hesitated on one and turned to show it to Cadence.

"Here's one of my favorites," he said. "It's my first born. Handsome guy isn't he?"

"Looks just like you," Cadence said. "Do you see him often?"

"I'm afraid not," C-Daddy replied softly. "He's one of them now, or sort of. I can't believe he's actually a functioning part of the Serpents, but he works for them and that's almost as bad. He left when the twins did. It broke my heart and my wife's, too, but you can't control your kids once they are grown."

"I'm sorry for your pain," Cadence said. "I lost a son, too, but it's my own fault he's gone -- I gave him up for adoption."

"I'm sure you did what you thought was best under the circumstances," C-Daddy said. "There is no shame in offering your child a life that you are not in the position to give him."

"Thank you," Cadence said sincerely. It appeared she had C-Daddy had more in common than she had guessed.

"So," she said, changing the subject, "are we going to take these pictures to the police to help them with their investigation?"

"It won't help," C-Daddy explained with a shrug. "I have shown them to the authorities before. They just think I'm a crazy old man. No, my dove, we will have to let them carry on their investigation in whatever method they choose. Who knows, they just might get lucky and find Sarah on their own."

"Then why did you say that the pictures were going to bring us hope if we aren't going to use them?"

"I just did," he explained. "I showed them to you."

"Yeah," Cadence said shaking her head, "I'm not so sure it had the effect you might have hoped for."

C-Daddy stood up and pulled her to her feet.

"Don't give up now, we've just begun the fight."

"But can we win? According to you, you've failed to defeat them in the past."

"I never said I failed," C-Daddy replied. "Before a tree falls, the woodsman strikes with his ax many times."

"But what if it doesn't fall this time?"

"Then when we strike, we will know that we are getting closer to the time when it does."

"But how does that help us today?" Cadence asked in frustration.

"Woodsmen must have great patience if they wish to chop down trees," he said, "and sometimes before the big one falls, they have to saw off a few branches first."

"I'm guessing you've sawed off limbs before."

"Plenty, but I need your help on this one. I can't promise you money, like Nick Collins, or even fame and fortune, but I can promise to try to get Sarah back. Will you help?"

Cadence took a deep breath and let it out in a long slow sigh. She couldn't believe that she had been pulled into such a nightmare. It had all started when she wanted to help her students get money for a toy drive. Yeah, the money had been more than she should have hoped for, but it wasn't for her. It was for the poor kids at her school. It's not greed if it's for others is it?

"I'll do it," she finally said, "but please don't make me regret it."

"Regret is a tool of the enemy," C-Daddy said. "It leads to hopelessness. People without hope are easier to control."

"Why is control so important to the Serpents?" Cadence asked.

"Simply put, they want to rule the world."

"That has been tried before."

"Yes, and it has almost succeeded from time to time, but for vigilance of the strong at heart."

"Is that what we are?" Cadence asked. "The strong at heart?"

"That or fools," C-Daddy replied. "Only time will tell which, but we have to try; it is the responsibility of all who are good."

"But not everyone does try," Cadence said, "and there are many people out there who are inherently good."

"Yes." C-Daddy nodded, "and that's when the valiant step in. Wait here a moment while I put away my package, and then we will leave."

"Is that what the Serpents want, those pictures you have?"

"No. They have very little use for my pictures except to take something away from me that I treasure. They are after bigger game than that."




Special thanks for the lovely artwork, "Hands" by Loyd C. Taylor, Sr

This is a fantasy novella about a high school chemistry teacher who is also the sponsor of the Student Council at Benjamin Franklin High School in inner city Baltimore. She and her officers receive an offer of a huge sum of money that will help her group fulfill the Christmas dreams of many of the kids in the area. Through a series of adventures, they finally have a show down with a group of gods who are trying to take over the world by sowing hate and despair.

Baltimore .....Setting of most of the story
Ellicott City ..... A quaint shopping district outside Baltimore where part of the story takes place
Benjamin Franklin High School .....School Cadence where Cadence teaches
Destiny's Angel ..... Store in Ellicott City owned by Nick Collins
Time and Time Again ..... Charles' store next door to Destiny's Angel
American Rescue Workers .....Shelter where C-Daddy lives

Serpents ..... Bad Guys made up of gods and humans
Henry/Hypnos .....Twin of Thantos: one of the bad gods - god of hypnosis and sleep
Bram/Thantos ..... Twin of Hypnos: one of the bad gods - god of death
Ares: Evil sister goddess

C-Daddy ..... Homeless man who ends up at the center of the adventure
Nick Collins ..... Mysterious Angel Donor. Owns store, "Destiny's Angel"
Charles ..... Nick's son
Alvin ..... Young man who works at the mall
Barkley: Cab driver

Cadence Uriel ..... 30 year old Chemistry teacher
Shanice ..... Student Council president
Leonardo (Leo) ..... Student Council Vice President
Mia ..... Student Council Secretary
Sarah ..... Student Council Treasurer






Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.