Romance Fiction posted June 7, 2015 Chapters:  ...47 48 -49- 50... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Homeland Security returns.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Diecisiete, Part Dos

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Calming herbs for Soni or her grandfather?" After Alex smiled at Jim's question, Jim continued, "I've never seen the dogs or Midnight so calm. I guess it's working on them too. It seems like Soni told me once that Kuruk means bear. Am I right?

"Yes. Why?"

"No reason, just wondering." I bet that bear had something to do with Kuruk watching over his granddaughter.

Both men watched Kuruk until false dawn rose in the East.

Butkus and Goliath raised their heads and growled as the hair on their backs bristled.

"Drop your weapons, call off the dogs, and raise your hands."


TODAY'S POST:

"Well, it's Ralph Littleton, our friendly Homeland Security officer and four of his buddies." Jim lowered his hands. "What are you doing here?"

"I told Chief Kuruk Four-Bear not to leave the ranch house and now I find him on El Capitan. He's not even on Rockin' A property."

Kuruk stood his full six feet height and his shoulders were back. "I have done nothing wrong. My granddaughter needed me."

"Old man, you're nothing but a witch doctor. Everywhere you go somebody ends up dead." Littleton held up a bloody knife.

"Now what?" Jim took a step closer.

"We passed four dead men before we found you. Are you going to deny it?"

"They ambushed us. We tied them up. They were alive when we left them." Jim eyed Miguel. While Alex and I were talking, he left to pee. It had to be him. But why?

"It's Chief Four-Bear's knife. Their throats were slashed."

Kuruk removed three knives from the sheaf. "I carry three. I have three. It's not mine."

"This one and the one taken from Hughes's back both have your signature bear carved on the handle."

"They're not mine."

"You're coming with us, old man." The agent-in-charge stepped closer to Kuruk.

"I'm not going anywhere until my granddaughter is well." Kuruk put his hand on Soni's leg.

Jim stepped between Littleton and Kuruk. "He'll come with you peacefully once we get Soni home. Besides, there are three other men here other than Kuruk."

"True, but he's the only one with a clear motive. His granddaughter has been under suspicion by Homeland Security. He'll do anything to protect her."

"Okay, but why kill the four ambushers? He has no reason. They weren't a threat." Jim eyed Miguel. They could identify Miguel.

Alex stood beside Jim. "I know how Homeland Security Agency hates bad press. Just imagine how this headline would look? 'Homeland Security arrests seventy-four year old Native American Grandfather while he rescues his granddaughter.'"

"It won't sound so innocent when we explain this grandpa has five murders under his belt. I think that ups his status to a serial killer." Littleton hesitated, before he asked, "How are you getting Ms. Alder home?"

"We haven't figured that out. She fell off a cliff. There could be spinal damage." Jim glanced toward Soni. The two dogs stood guard, one on each side of her.

Ralph Littleton moved closer to Soni, but Midnight blocked him. "I need to check and make sure she's not faking."

Alex took the horse's reins and led him away. "It's okay. He just wants to examine her."

Goliah and Butkus gave low rumbled growls.

The agent-in-charge scanned Soni's body. He bent to study the head wound and lifted her hand to inspect her scraped fingers. "She's pretty battered. Why haven't you called for help?"

"We don't have cell service here." Jim held up his phone.

Ralph Littleton took his phone and checked. "You're right, no signal."

Jim shook his head. "What reason would I have to lie?"

The agent ignored Jim's question. "I guess we carry her down. How'd you move her to this overhang?"

"A travois. One end around Butkus's neck, and I carried the other." Jim pointed to the large mastiff. "We're talking about four and a half miles. He glanced at Butkus. "About half way down, we'll switch dogs."

"I can help with Soni," said Alex.

"She won't be a problem. I'll be fine." Jim checked the travois. "I've carried heavier things than her a longer distance. At the bottom, we should have phone service, and then we can call for help."

"We're missing somebody. Anybody see where Miguel went?" asked Kuruk.




Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of a Native American medicine bag. I really appreciate the reviews and assistance you give me. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post. I do not describe the physical features of my characters in every post. Summer break has finally arrived. I have trainings and doctor's appointments for four days out of seven next week. Hmmm, something wrong with this. LOL
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.