Romance Fiction posted May 31, 2015 Chapters:  ...46 47 -48- 49... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Kuruk, Alex, and Miguel arrive.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Diecisiete, Part Uno

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Both dogs stood, their ears upright, and their eyes focused toward a sound.

Jim glanced toward the bear. It sat there, but was slightly harder to see. He rubbed his eyes. I must be tired. He appears to be fading. He looked again. Only half the bear's outline could be seen. Again, he rubbed his eyes, this time shaking his head. What's going on? The black bear had disappeared.

TODAY'S POST:

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN


Goliath and Butkus walked toward the sound. As they got closer, they slowly swished their tails.

Jim followed behind the dogs but didn't stray far from Soni. He often glanced at the area where the bear had sat.

After what seemed like an eternity, Jim shook Kuruk's hand. "I'm glad to see you. I knew you'd come." He did the same with Alex. Once he saw Miguel, he said, "I don't think we've been introduced."

"Miguel Sanchez. I'm Soni's boyfriend." He offered his hand.

"Jim Burns. I was under the impression Soni didn't have a boyfriend." He accepted Miguel's hand and shook it firmly.

Kuruk eyed Miguel before he removed the medicine bag from around his neck. "Where's my granddaughter?"

"Over here. She's spoken twice but neither time lasted more than a few words." Jim pointed and moved aside so the Shaman could get closer to the patient. There's a bear on his bag. He walked over to where the bear had guarded Soni. Soni needs to answer some questions. He stood beside Alex. "I guess we wait."

Butkus and Goliath lay next to Soni; one on each side. Their huge heads settled on her thighs. Midnight looked over Kuruk's shoulder.

"That's right, son. Let's back up and give the Shaman room to work." Alex motioned for them to sit on nearby rocks. "Not very comfortable, but it'll work."

Jim, Miguel, and Alex watched the Shaman take dried plants and incense from his bag. The incense was lit. He spread the herbs over his granddaughter and began to chant.

"Kuruk's methods worked on me, but I don't understand them. Can you explain it?" Jim waited for Alex's answer.

"I can try. I have watched him work for years, but I don't understand most of it myself." Alex watched the Shaman for a few moments. "Soni's in a coma or to a Shaman the soul is out of body. This is very complicated because he must figure out which way the soul's trying to go."

"Are you saying the soul may not want to enter the body?" Jim studied Soni and Kuruk.

"Yes, but knowing Soni I'm sure it wants to reenter. Shamanism dates back over forty thousand years. Kuruk once told me there are over two thousand medicinal plants." Alex watched Jim's reaction before he continued, "Trees, ferns, flowers, nuts, vines, grasses, shrubs and forbs are all among them.

"What's a forb? I've never heard of it."

"When I first heard the term, I asked the same question. It's a broad-leaved herb other than grass. It's found growing in prairies, fields and meadows."

"Which ones is he using on Soni?"

"I'm pretty sure there isn't an herb that works on comas."

Jim said, "But's he's covered her with them." He paused. "Should we call the dogs back?"

"No, my guess is they're as soothing and calming as the herbs." Alex took out some gum and passed it around. "I have a feeling it's going to be a long night."

"Calming herbs for Soni or her grandfather?" After Alex smiled at Jim's question, Jim continued, "I've never seen the dogs or Midnight so calm. I guess it's working on them too. It seems like Soni told me once that Kuruk means bear. Am I right?

"Yes. Why?"

"No reason, just wondering." I bet that bear had something to do with Kuruk watching over his granddaughter.

Both men watched Kuruk until false dawn rose in the East.

Butkus and Goliath raised their heads and growled as the hair on their backs bristled.

"Drop your weapons, call off the dogs, and raise your hands."





Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of a Native American medicine bag. I really appreciate the reviews and assistance you give me. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post. I do not describe the physical features of my characters in every post. We only have 4 days left with students and 5 days left for teachers. YEAH!!!!!!!!! I am really looking forward to this break. This year has worn me out.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.