General Fiction posted May 24, 2015


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a descriptive story

my little log cabin

by judester

As the natural paths winds upwards, all senses are invigorated. The sweet, fresh smell of cedar, the sunlight through the trees, the dried pine needles underfoot.
This pine log cabin has sat sweetly on this ledge for thirty five years.

The sun setting in the west highlights the local mountain Jay Peak, the wires from the tram shimmer in the afternoon sunlight.
The front door is a 2 inch double dutch door,painted barn red. Eight solid brass points from a dusty Zanzibar antique shop, create an exotic touch.

The cabin smells of old wood. Your eyes are drawn to the hand polished pine ceiling and end walls made from a hundred year old Vermont barn.

In the middle of the cabin is a cedar post, a few branches left on act as handy hooks.
The 4" exposed beams,( made from leftover 6 inch logs ) hold up the planked floor of the cozy loft.
The interior of the cabin is filled with antiques. The Belanger stove in the kitchen works like a top and the wood burning Findley stove, made in my father's hometown, provides a touch of yesteryear.

A bright red kilim carpet and signed picture of Bob Marley are my two favorite things. All the windows here were found in the old barn of a man that was overjoyed to help with the building of the cabin. Only the two windows in the loft are not from him, they are stained glass windows that my mom made for me years ago. The loft turns into a golden, warm cocoon when the rising sun shines through them.

The antique kerosine lamps are lined up on a thick plank that was recycled and sanded, made into a unique shelf. Many were ''finds" at small farmer's markets and estate sales.

Wooden stairs lead up to the loft with a branch as a handrail. The brass bed is covered in a blue and green quilt, an old elephant trunk at the foot.

My favorite time of day is the early morning. The shattered sunlight through the trees is magical. the forest is alive with birdsong and chattering.

Hot cups of coffee and cool breezes make this one of my favorite memories.
The bonfire surrounded with field stones, still smoking from the night before.

This is my little place of beauty. The old, green mountains of Vermont





Sense of Place Short Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a 400 to 700 word essay describing a place. This should be a descriptive short story, make sure you describe the place very well. This place you are describing can not be a place in your imagination, dreams, ext. It has to be a real place, preferably a place you know very well. You do not have to have been to this place, and this can be a made up story. Be creative and descriptive!


Thanks Sharon Routley for the perfect illustration.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. judester All rights reserved.
judester has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.