General Fiction posted May 19, 2015 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Patsy decides to stay a bit longer.

A chapter in the book A New Beginning

Time To Leave Part Two

by alexisleech







Patsy had been staying at the Bedford for a week. When she arrived she appeared a bit batty, not only because she constantly talked to herself, but because she’d lugged an old-fashioned computer and monitor all the way to the hotel in her suitcase. When Laura suggested she should get a laptop so she could use the hotel Wi-Fi, she was reluctant at first because she’d never been on the internet in her life.
 
 
Previous chapter ending;

Patsy patted her old computer and monitor as though she was saying goodbye to an old friend. She hoped Deirdre wouldn’t be offended because she wasn’t taking it back with her. She’d been so kind to her after her father died, by organising the sale of the house and accompanying her to the horrible solicitor who scared Patsy to death. Deirdre helped her fill in all the forms that were required, and had even helped her open a bank account to replace the post office account her parents opened for her years before. With that thought in mind, Patsy pulled out the form Deirdre had asked her to sign when she dropped her off at the station. After she glanced at it, she told her she would sign it when she got back, before stuffing it into her handbag. The fact that Deirdre’s long-term partner’s name was on the form was the thing that stopped her signing it right away. She’d never even met the man, so she couldn’t understand what it had to do with him.
 
     With just fifteen minutes to go before her taxi arrived to take her to the station, Patsy turned on her laptop and opened up Google. She then typed in the words ‘third party mandate…’


 
**********
 

When Laura realised Patsy was nowhere to be seen after her taxi arrived to take her to the station, she asked Igor to keep an eye on reception while she went to tell her it was waiting. After tapping on her bedroom door and getting no response, Laura raised her voice in the hope she could be heard.

     ‘You’ll have to get a move on, Patsy. Your taxi’s here!’

     Still nothing, although Laura was sure she could hear Patsy crying on the other side of the door. Immediately concerned, she fished in her pocket for the master key, but before she could use it, the door opened and Patsy looked back at her, tears streaming down her cheeks.

     ‘Can I stay another night?’ she begged. ‘I don’t think I can face going back today…’

     Laura couldn’t believe the change in Patsy since she happily chatted to her and Igor after breakfast. It was as though someone had sucked the life out of her in the space of twenty minutes, leaving only a blubbering, deflated shell behind.

     ‘Of course you can,’ she told her, although the truth be known, Laura had no idea if Pasty’s room would be available for another night. Being the only bedroom on the ground floor, it was often needed for the more elderly or disabled guests because the hotel didn’t have a lift. Whether the room was available wasn’t Laura’s main concern, however. Patsy was clearly distressed, but Laura was at a loss as to what to say or do. As much as she liked her, Patsy was still a paying guest, and it wasn’t really any of her business.

     ‘Can… can I do anything to help?' she asked.

     Patsy answered her by holding out the crumpled piece of paper clutched in her right hand. ‘I thought she was my friend…’ was all she said before she sat down on the edge of the bed and held her head in her hands.

     After she ironed out some of the wrinkles with her fingers, Laura started to read the document. ‘Who’s Mike Turner?’ she asked when she saw his name on the form. ‘Is he a relative?’

     ‘No,’ Patsy sobbed. ‘I haven’t got any relatives. Both my parents were only children, just like me--’

     She was interrupted by the sound of Igor tapping on the door to remind them the taxi was still waiting.

     ‘Tell him he’s not needed, Igor. Patsy’s decided to stay for another night,’ Laura called back.

     After they heard him make a hasty retreat down the corridor, Laura turned to Patsy and asked her again about Mike Turner.

     ‘He’s Deirdre’s boyfriend…‘

     ‘Deirdre?’

     Patsy shot Laura a look as if she was a traitor for forgetting. ‘The district nurse I told you about. The one who gave me her old computer. The one who’s been helping me since Daddy died.’

     As though a light bulb had just been turned on in her head, Laura now understood why Patsy was so upset. Although it wasn’t completely clear what the document was about because of the small print, it was obvious that this Mike Turner would be given full control of her bank account if the document was signed. What she couldn’t understand was why it had come to light now, on the morning Patsy was returning to Bristol.

     ‘How long have you had this? Laura asked.

     Patsy let out a disenchanted snort. ‘Since the day I arrived. Deirdre asked me to sign it after she drove me to the station and parked up outside it. I would have signed it right away, like all the other documents I’ve signed she’s put in front of me, but when I saw that man’s name on it, I shoved it in my handbag and told Deirdre I’d sign it when I got back. I only looked up ‘Third Party mandate’ on Google before I left here because Deirdre’s picking me up at the station when I get back.’

      She put her head back in her hands. 'I’ve been really stupid letting her take over since Daddy died, haven’t I?’

     As though she’d travelled back in time, Laura looked down at the paper in her hand and remembered back to the day a similar document had lost her and her husband everything. Because she hadn’t checked out the small print on their hotel lease, all their hard work turning it into a successful business had been for naught. Not only did they lose their home and livelihood, but their life savings as well. No, Patsy wasn’t stupid; she had just put her trust in someone who abused it, in the same way as she had done with their unscrupulous landlord.

     ‘No you haven’t,’ she told Patsy after she sat on the bed beside her and gave her shoulder a reassuring squeeze. ‘From what you’ve told me, she was the only friend you had. I can understand why you trusted her, especially after all the years you’ve known her.’

     Laura could see the cloud lifting in Patsy’s eyes, but only momentarily. ‘But what if I’ve signed something else I shouldn’t?’

     Exactly the same thought had occurred to Laura, although she didn’t say it out loud. ‘Don’t worry,’ she told Patsy as she stood up. ‘We'll sort it out if you have.'
 



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. alexisleech All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
alexisleech has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.