Mystery and Crime Flash Fiction posted May 11, 2015 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Into the night, the assassin followed her

A chapter in the book Short Stories

Lady In Red

by Begin Again






Smoke hung in the air. Frank Sinatra crooned from the juke box. Couples shuffled around the dance floor.  

Jack tossed the whiskey down his throat. He savored the warm sensation, then moved toward the exit.

He stepped outside, glancing up and down the street. It was a typical night in the red light district; half-naked women feverishly selling their bodies for the right amount of dollars.

Declining two provocative offers, Jack strolled down the block, stopping near some trees. Cloaked in the shadows, he watched and waited.  

He lit a cigarette, readying himself. A blonde approached. Her red dress clung to every curve. Her heels tapped in perfect rhythm as she glided toward him.

“Gotta light, tough guy?” She smiled..

“I might.” His eyes lingered on her bosom. “You’re looking pretty hot tonight.”

She moved closer. Her perfume was intoxicating. ”I’m just looking for a light.”
She placed the cigarette between her lips.

Jack opened his jacket.  His fingers touched the steel blade hidden inside before retrieving the Zippo. The flickering flame illuminated her face. He lit her cigarette. His fingertips brushed across her breasts.

Her voice was sultry, “Sorry, this girl’s not free.” She stepped back.

A chuckle rattled in Jack’s throat. “Oh, Darlin’, I can pay.”

The smoke drifted across her lips. “Sorry to disappoint you, but I have a prior engagement.” She turned, took a step or two, and turned back to him. “Thanks for the light.”

He watched as she disappeared into the park. He liked her game. It suited him just fine.

Checking the area, he slipped into the darkness and stealthily closed the distance between them. His movements were routine and polished. His motive was simple - to remove another slut from the streets.

He spotted her leaning  against the fountain, waiting for him. He knew her kind. Seduction was her game. She was begging for it. He slid his blade from its sheath. His adrenalin pumped as he moved in for the kill. It was going to be too easy.

Approaching footsteps caught him off guard. He hesitated. He could see a man approaching.

“What the -”

His eyes registered fear. Pain raged through his body. Lifeless, he crumbled to the ground. Blood gurgled and ran down his chin.

The man stood over him, smirking. “You picked the wrong girl tonight, my friend.” He pulled the bloody knife out and dropped it into a plastic bag.

Jack’s former prey stepped over hs body and squatted down. “That’s right, tough guy. I’m afraid your vigilante days are over.”

She stood and turned to her co-conspirator. “It’s done. No regrets?”

“None. Until we find our sister and get her off these streets, it’s our duty to protect all of them.”
He wrapped his arm around her waist. “We promised Dad we’d do whatever it took.”

Without looking back, they disappeared into the dark.



 



Assassinate Me A Thriller! writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
In 500 words or less, write a thriller (or/and horror) prose involving an assassin/assassination or hitman/hitwoman. No poetry or script, please. Be creative and have fun! :)

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.