General Fiction posted May 11, 2015 Chapters: -Prologue- 1... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Dublin, Ireland circa 1640

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Book Two

A Minstrel's Daydream

by michaelcahill


THE STORY CONTINUES
Previously we were introduced to Vision and Sound. These are two souls who encounter each other on Earth in various lifetimes. As humans, they are not aware they are soulmates. Humans have no knowledge of other lives, or their lives as spirits in Heaven. The souls within them feel and sense things beyond their existence, but there is no evidence these feelings are a manifestation of lessons learned and lives lived. Magic Felix is an angel, for lack of a better term, with special knowledge of Heaven and Earth. He is the story teller. We last left Vision and Sound, the two souls in question, as they neared the end of a previous life on Earth. Vision was a woman named Julia who had uncommon knowledge of the other side and even saw past events unfold before her. Sound was a young doctor named Valerius who accepted her as a patient. Vision recognized him as someone she had known in other lives. He was skeptical, but drawn to her in ways that astonished him. Well, reading the previous book would help, but I'll try to make part two clear enough to follow without the first book as a referrance.
 
 
 
As your storyteller, I feel compelled to answer questions. Yet answers are complex and often human lack of knowledge regarding this side of existence only leads to confusion.
 
"But, Magic Felix, we must know what it all means. It is an insatiable yearning." I'm often asked.
 
Yes, I am aware of this thirst, it is a part of us here as well. The creator gifted this thing to all of us. Curiosity is an amazing force. It is the means by which knowledge is discovered. Even things seemingly a force unto themselves, like love, hope and faith are all sought by the spark of curiosity.
 
Why do I feel so lightheaded and giddy around this individual? In the quest to answer the question, love is discovered. Further, it is enjoyed and participated in. We here in Heaven understand this, yes. Only as human beings are we able to feel and explore it.
 
Already it sounds as though I speak in circles. In many ways, that is an apt description.
 
Vision and Sound returned to Heaven and rejoined the familiar timeless existence we all share here. The clear separation between spirits and flesh and blood no longer is as definitive as it once was.
 
Heaven teems with souls now, billions of them. Where do they all come from? We don't know--even I don't know. Well, I realize the creator creates them, but how has never been known. The question, "Why?" is one we ask as often as you do.
 
Their brief life together as Valerius and Julia brought revelations to Vision and Sound they had never before had the opportunity to experience. To not only experience but understand something of their connection was rare. They had never before experienced each other physically to this extent. It was apparent when they returned. The connection remained here in Heaven even though they had no physical form.
 
Past lives are a part of all humans. They are also a part of us here. Here we have full knowledge of being human and of being specific humans who once walked the Earth. Your awareness comes from feelings and sensations which you have no conscious connection to.
 
"It seems like I've known you all my life."
 
"That guy gives me the creeps."
 
"It feels like I've been in this same situation before; but that can't be."
 
Having followed these stories, you know to a small degree where these feelings come from. But there is still no concrete memory you can offer as explanation.
 
Well, you see, I have rambled on as usual. I imagine nothing is any more clear than when I started.
 
Vision returned to Earth in Ireland in 1621 by your reckoning. She was born to The Sheriff of Dublin, one of nine children. Liam Fitzwilliam IV had come to the position of High Sheriff through his Father's connection to King James. Liam Fitzwilliam III held favor with the King when a potential assassination was averted due to the elder Fitzwilliam's quick thinking.
 
Vision is the seventh born known as Lady Anne.
 
Sound is the son of Leland Cooke, a farmer killed in battle. Sound is an orphan named Keith. He is an only child whose mother, Mary, died giving birth to him.
 
We pick up the story in the summer of 1641. Lady Anne is skilled in the arts, but not taken seriously even by her father. He loves her dearly and even encourages her, but his encouragement is patronizing and serves to sadden her.
 

~~~~~~~~~~~Anne Fitzwilliam writes a song

 
"Father, I've written a song for the festival. Do you suppose you might see fit to introduce it to one of your many friends?" Anne knew the accommodating smile greeting her.
 
"Of course, dear one. I can't guarantee they will accept it, but I will gladly see it is given attention. Would you play it for me?"
 
Liam knew her work would be dismissed. Had his fellows not been cowed by his position they would surely advise him to direct his daughter towards more worthy activities. After all, she wasn't getting any younger and suitors would be more impressed by baking skills. A song didn't fill the belly or clothe the bare back.
 
Anne played her song and he enjoyed it. Truth be told, she had uncommon gifts in composition and her lyrics had great depth. Liam knew nothing of these things. As far as he was concerned, anything his daughter did was golden. Perhaps it was of no practical value, but he was in no hurry to see her whisked away by a young suitor. He had yet to meet one worthy of his daughter.
 
Liam's great wealth removed any sense of urgency for his children to wed. They were all to be desired and pursued in earnest, even Anne. Anne required love to be a component of any liaison with a gentleman. She had yet to feel so inclined.

 
~~~~~~~~~~~~Keith Cooke in front of the blacksmith's barn
 

Keith Cooke took up his usual position in front of the blacksmith's barn. As a minstrel, he was well known to the local villagers and even those from nearby villages found his presence familiar. Bartholomew O'Cahill, the village blacksmith, enjoyed Keith's presence and looked upon it as means to draw attention to his business. Many a passerby would stop, attracted to Keith's music, and strike up a conversation with Bart. Keith was good for business. Bart grew to be found of Keith in spite of Keith's somewhat dark and volatile personality.
 
A minstrel's life could be difficult especially when it was an undertaking born of necessity. As a childless widower, Keith had little to be happy about. His modest home was slovenly to say the least. His meager existence was not fueled by ambition on his part. He was content to survive and found great solace in his talents. But talent was not celebrated in a beggar the way it would be under the auspices of Palace appointment. Beggars weren't allowed into the palace. Entertainment was plentiful and the need to solicit commoners non-existent.
 
Lady Anne Fitzwilliam heard Keith's playing from across the street as she purchased a dress for the upcoming festival. It enchanted her, though she was admittedly put off by the dark tone of the stories he told. His melodies belied the darkness of the words. She dearly wished to meet him, but that would be most unseemly.
 
Keith Cooke noticed the woman who seemed to be listening from a distance across the street. She didn't look at or acknowledge him in any way. But the way she paused and the tilt of her head was familiar to him. She was listening to his music and listening with great interest it seemed.
 
Ah, there's fodder for a lovely ballad, the lovely Lady of privilege and the disheveled town minstrel. Keith continued to play for the crowd, all the while letting fantasies of secret forest meetings swirl in his mind. If they knew he was English, he would be drummed out of town or worse. His accent, born of poverty on the streets of London was not identifiable as English proper. It differed somewhat from the familiar patterns of the locals. But, he could easily be from another area perhaps from the south.

He didn't stand out as English and that served him well. Only the blacksmith knew of his origins and he had no reason to reveal them to anyone. He had practical reasons, true, but, a fondness for this young man existed as well.
 
Keith began a new song:

 
From a ways over yonder a fair lady did listen
as the minstrel's tune filed the streets on that day
she paused and her heart rose on the melody
and she yearned for love as the poor minstrel played
 
perhaps there's a forest where souls go to play
and no one will notice their absence today
but the world doesn't listen to the words in his songs
and a minstrel is bound to be where he belongs



 



Book of the Month contest entry


I feel out of practice! I'll take it slow this time. All input is sought and most appreciated. I promise Magic Felix won't interrupt the story. Do these sound like good characters? The times are a contrast to the last story. This is an era teeming with creativity. But, class distinctions and war loom as always. Keith is English and she is Irish. He is poor and she is rich. Those are huge obstacles. Well, I guess I'll post and take it from there. :))
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.