Romance Fiction posted May 10, 2015 Chapters:  ...43 44 -45- 46... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Jim rescues Soni

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Dieciseis Part Uno

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

At the cliff's edge, Soni round-house kicked a man off the ledge.

Jim hurried but arrived as the man flew over the edge. The unstable limestone gave way under Soni's feet. She slipped and grabbed at the rock and brush growing out of the limestone. Then she landed on rock, about thirty-five feet below.

Jim closed his eyes. Kuruk, you have a special bond with Soni. She needs you now more than ever.

TODAY'S POST:

Jim glanced at the four injured ambushers and noticed the two dogs, Butkus and Goliath. They held their heads high and their tails were raised and rigid. They positioned themselves over their forelegs ready to lunge. They glared at the men. The dogs' muzzles wrinkled and their lips were retracted vertically, displaying their front teeth. A low, threatening snarl came from both dogs. They're in control. He glanced at Midnight. That's one strange horse. He shook his head at Midnight, whose teeth also showed. "At least you're normal." Jim patted Smoky. "I'm sure Adler used you around the ranch." He removed a rope and tied one end to the saddle horn. "I'm going to Soni."

Smoky knew what Jim needed and kept the rope taunt as he descended over the cliff.

When Jim's feet were firmly on the ledge, he released the rope and noticed Smoky backed away. He knelt beside Soni, placed two fingers on the side of her neck, and closed his eyes until he felt a pulse. Thank you, God.

At least she landed on her side. That should help a little. Jim took out his cell phone. I need to get you to a hospital. "No!" He raised his arm to throw the phone. "Maybe I'll have a signal on top." He tugged on the rope and then grabbed it.

Smoky continued to keep the rope taunt as Jim returned. After Jim checked and saw the ambushers remained contained, he attempted a call. Still no cell service. Now what? He leaned back against the limestone formation.

"We quell the storm and ride the thunder! OOH RAH!" Jim grabbed the two extra ropes and a thick blanket from Midnight's saddle. "I hope Soni trained you to be a ranch horse." After securing one rope to two corners of the blanket and doing the same with the other, he tied one end to Midnight's saddle horn and the other to Smoky's. "This should hold Soni. Okay, boys let's do it." He glanced at the dogs. "Keep up the good work."

Jim led the horses to the ledge and dropped the blanket. Then he grabbed the original rope tied to Smoky and descended to Soni. Jim released a deep breath. It better work. He glanced up at the darkening sky. There isn't much light left. Of course, buzzards. They won't get dinner here tonight. After Jim laid down the blanket, he gently lifted Soni onto it. He noticed a puddle of blood under where her head had lain and examined the wound. "It needs stitches, but doesn't look too deep."

"Okay, boys, pull!" Jim motioned with his arm for the horses to back up. Then he steadied the blanket, making sure Soni was centered. As she rose, he grabbed the other rope and climbed alongside her.

About a quarter the way up, one side of the blanket tilted sideways. "God or Great Creator, we need help!"






Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Thank you Brian, for the photo of El Capitan Peak with Guadalupe Mountain in the background . Brian, Andrew, and Katie climbed Guadalupe Mountain, in West Texas two weeks ago. I really appreciate the reviews and assistance you give me. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post. I do not describe the physical features of my characters in every post. I have already written 267 pages. Their descriptions were about 250 pages ago. I updated my profile and lost the photograph. Since I lost it, I thought I would use the cover of my published book. I got a message it would take a few days for it to show.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.