Fantasy Science Fiction posted May 5, 2015 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Cadence and C-Daddy try to outrun a team of thugs.

A chapter in the book Destiny's Angel

Cut to the Chase

by davisr (Rhonda)



Background
Cadence and C-Daddy chase through the streets of Baltimore trying to shake off a group of rifle-toting thugs.
Last of chapter 8:

"I wish I could tell you, my dear," C-Daddy said, reaching for the handle on his door to get out. "If only to see you smile, but I can't."

"Can't or won't?"

C-Daddy glanced over his shoulder to reply, and then let out a yell as he slammed the door closed.

"Step on it," he commanded, pointing towards the driver's window.

A long dark blue vehicle had suddenly appeared with two men hanging outside, guns pointed straight at them. Cadence took in a deep gasping breath and then did just what C-Daddy suggested and floored it.

***** New Chapter *****

"We can't possibly hope to outrun these guys," Cadence stated. "My car doesn't even go over 55 mph. I had the guys at the dealership put a governor on it."

"Why?" C-Daddy asked in exasperation.

"You, know," she said, steering the car out into traffic. "It saves gas and lowers emissions that can cause Global Warming."

"Here, change places with me so I can drive, Tree-hugger," C-Daddy insisted, taking control of the steering wheel. "What were you thinking?"

"Not that I was supposed to flee for my life in my car," she responded, scooting under the larger man, who, she noticed, could move rather quickly when needed.

C-Daddy didn't reply, but, instead, jerked the steering wheel to the side, ran up onto the sidewalk, and then darted down an alley. The larger car was right on their heels, but didn't fire any guns. They didn't need to, faster and stronger, they bore down on the little Volkswagen until they rammed right into its back. Cadence was thrown violently backwards into the headrest. She could hear every vertebrae in her neck crack painfully. As an afterthought, she fastened her seatbelt.

For a quick second, C-Daddy glanced over and betrayed concern, but then returned his eyes to the road and his attention to their predicament. Cool and calm, he turned out of the alley and into oncoming traffic. He headed straight down the wrong way, dodging cars right and left, sending several careening to the shoulder.

"Do you even have a driver's license?" Cadence gasped, her fingertips clutching the dashboard.

"No," he replied. "Why, do you think I need one?"

"I think you might just as well let those men shoot us," Cadence responded. "It would be a quicker death."

She covered her eyes with a hand she pried loose from the dash as he flew onto the sidewalk, executing a doughnut, and then entering the normal flow of traffic.

"No need to now," he responded, pointing to the blue sedan that had just crashed into the side of a brick building.

"You could have gotten us killed!" Cadence shrieked, slapping C-Daddy on his arm. "Are you crazy?"

"Some people think so," he responded, turning a corner and ending up in front of the homeless shelter, "but they have to agree that I am a darn good driver."

Cadence let her head drop onto the dash on folded hands, and let out a huge sigh that sounded like she might have held her breath for the entire trip.

"You okay?" C-Daddy asked, reaching a hand over to stroke her hair in a gesture of tenderness that surprised Cadence.

"I guess," she answered, raising her head to look at her companion. "Now you want to be honest with me about the package?"

"I told you," he began, looking away, "I don't know where the package is. I wish I did, but, I just might have an idea who took it."

"And when were you planning to let me know that?"

"I guess when you asked, which technically speaking, you did not."

"Okay," Cadence said in exasperation. "Who took it then?"

"Serpent goons would be my guess."

"Are they like a gang or something?"

"Not in the sense you are thinking," he replied. "I mean, they are organized, have leaders with god complexes, and have evil tendrils infiltrating about all major crime areas, but they aren't a neighborhood gang per se."

"I've never heard of them."

"Not many have," C-Daddy said, "but all have felt their effects."

"That's a bit vague," Cadence pointed out, "and rather paranoid, too, if you want my opinion."

"Paranoia is when you think you are going to be chased by a random blue car, wisdom is when you know it, and skill is when you get away from it."

"How do we find them, then?" Cadence asked, yielding the point.

"I've been trying to figure that out ever since they jumped me for that package," C-Daddy explained. "I guess they found me instead."

"I guess so, too," Cadence agreed, "but the point is, why? They already took the package from you. What else do they want?"

"I don't know," C-Daddy admitted. "They are pretty nasty customers who have been causing trouble in my world for years."

"What world is that?" Cadence asked.

She couldn't imagine anyone spending time chasing someone who was already fallen, or pursuing a man who had nothing left to take besides a package he was trying to deliver.

"There are many worlds," C-Daddy replied, catching the meaning in her words, "and many players in them. Do not suppose that you understand all of their motives, but if you are insinuating that I am involved in criminal activity myself then you are much deceived."

"I'm not insinuating anything," Cadence defended, "and I don't know you well enough to judge. I just want to know what I'm up against. In my line of work I'm not usually chased by armed men in any color car, blue or otherwise."

"I can't imagine that you would be," C-Daddy conceded, "and I'm terribly sorry it happened today. You seem like a really nice lady."

"Thank you, but that's not my point. Wouldn't these Serpent guys make better use of their time if they went after whoever it was that sent that package rather than us?"

"You would think so," C-Daddy admitted, this time opening the car door and lumbering awkwardly out. "I'm guessing they must want something else. Come back by Monday and we will talk again. Maybe I will know more by then."

"I can come when I get off work," Cadence offered.

"That's fine," C-Daddy said, turning to limp away.

Cadence got out of the passenger side and walked towards the driver's door. She looked at the car, carefully scrutinizing it for damage. She was surprised to find it in better shape that she had feared.

"Who were you before your life fell apart?" Cadence asked softly, thinking the older man out of earshot.

"Who said it fell apart?" he whispered back, his voice carried to her by a gentle breeze.




Thanks to, suenethery, for the great graphics!


Destiny's Angel is an ongoing Fantasy/Sci Fi story about an inner city teacher, Cadence Uriel, from Baltimore who tries to help her students by chasing after a promised donation to the school's toy drive. Through a series of adventures that ultimately culminate in a showdown of good against evil, Cadence finds more than the donation she had bargained for.



Baltimore .....Setting of most of the story
Ellicott City ..... A quaint shopping district outside Baltimore where part of the story takes place
Benjamin Franklin High School .....School Cadence where Cadence teaches
Destiny's Angel ..... Store in Ellicott City owned by Nick Collins
Time and Time Again ..... Charles' store next door to Destiny's Angel
American Rescue Workers .....Shelter where C-Daddy lives

Serpents ..... Bad Guys made up of gods and humans
Henry/Hypnos .....Twin of Thantos: one of the bad gods - god of hypnosis and sleep
Bram/Thantos ..... Twin of Hypnos: one of the bad gods - god of death
Ares: Evil sister goddess

C-Daddy ..... Homeless man who ends up being at the center of the adventure
Nick Collins ..... Mysterious Angel Donor. Owns store, "Destiny's Angel"
Charles ..... Nick's son
Alvin ..... Young man who works at the mall
Barkley: Cab driver

Cadence Uriel ..... 30 year old Chemistry teacher
Shanice ..... Student Council president
Leonardo (Leo) ..... Student Council Vice President
Mia ..... Student Council Secretary
Sarah ..... Student Council Treasurer




Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.