Horror and Thriller Fiction posted May 4, 2015


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Chapter 1: Brandon McCann

The Clown

by Brett Matthew West


Ten year old Brandon McCann raced his brand new bicycle, the one he had just gotten two days before for his birthday, down the lush green hill like his blonde hair was on fire and his tail feathers were catching. The faster he pedaled the harder his breathing became. To say he was in a hurry put it mildly.

He knew he was supposed to finish mowing the yard around his one acre home. He also knew the consequences of not doing so would be a very sore bottom when his Daddy got home from work that evening. Still, he sped on as fast as he could possibly go.

The warm afternoon sun beat down on the boy. He could feel its rays bathing his tender skin even though, like always, he was wearing his favorite pair of bluejeans, his beat up, old, once white, now dirty sneakers, and a pullover who's tail hung out over his jeans as he pressed on. Brandon McCann was in a hurry to get nowhere fast.

Passing through a clearing he paused just a moment to give his burning lungs a chance to suck in some much needed oxygen, stood up on his bike, surveyed the area, and headed through two large oak trees to his destination.

Up in the distance he saw it and slowed his pace way down watching as lions, and tigers, and bears in their various circus train wagons slowly passed by. The vivid array of colors impressed Brandon and he was one happy little boy. He knew where he would be going come Saturday night. After all, a hard working boy such as himself deserved a special treat every once in a while.

Totally wrapped up in the excitement of the circus wagons passing by Brandon could have watched them all afternoon, but, he remembered what his Daddy had told him about mowing that grass, or else, and knew he had better scoot on home and get that chore taken care of, especially if he wanted any chance of going to the circus on Saturday night, so he meandered on back home the way he had come.

With two more hours before Daddy was expected home Brandon figured he would get his chores done, and if he was working when Daddy's pickup truck pulled up at least he would still be the obedient son he always was, and would be doing what his Daddy had wanted him to do. That way he would not get into any trouble over it. And, that is exactly what the boy did.

Back and forth in straight lines Brandon pushed the mower. He was an expert grass cutter having learned how to properly mow a lawn a long time ago. Brandon's creative mind imagined all the circus held in store with its jugglers, sword swallowers, and particularly the clowns. How he always loved the clowns the most and their funny antics.

Having finished his chore, and swept the cut pieces of the grass off the mower with a broom kept inside the door of the shed for that very reason, Brandon watched as his Daddy pulled up the driveway and stopped his truck. Getting out of his truck the boy saw a glowing smile on his Daddy's face.

Tom McCann walked up to where his son was standing and placed his fingers on top of the boy's head then playfully mussed his blonde locks. He then reached down and firmly swatted the boy's bottom, saying "After you put that mower up Little Man, and wash your hands, how about us going out and tackling us a pizza tonight?"

Now it was Brandon's turn to beam and he did. "With lots and lots of ooey, gooey cheese on it?" he asked his Daddy.

"You know of any other way to eat a pizza, Son?" his Daddy questioned him, "Cause I sure don't".

"No Sir," Brandon responded back to his Daddy then hurriedly went inside their little cabin and cleaned himself up knowing how good that pizza was going to taste. He also knew this would be the perfect opportunity to sweet talk Daddy into taking him to the circus come Saturday night. The sun was definitely shining brightly in ten year old Brandon McCann's world.




Recognized


This story is something a little different from the pen of a Country Music Songwriter with more than one bow in his bag and this is its first chapter.

Thank you Cleo85 for the use of your picture. Fits my story very nicely.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.