Romance Fiction posted May 3, 2015 Chapters:  ...42 43 -44- 45... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The eight men find Soni and Jim.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Quince; Part Tres

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Why are you riding along?" asked Gus

"If she needs help, somebody will be there to help." Jim stared at the saddle.

"Sort of like, always swim with a buddy?" Gus grinned.

"Yeah, that's right. When you're tracking somebody, you should take a buddy. I'll be that person."

"It has nothing to do with you being sweet on Soni, does it?"

"No, of course not." Jim's voice cracked, and he avoided eye contact.

"My instincts are never wrong." Gus laughed as he proceeded to get the horses ready.


TODAY'S POST:

Soni entered the stables and handed Jim three containers of food. "Put these in your saddlebags. Tatiana packed enough for an army. I guess she's worried you'd starve." She added arrows and ammunition to her bags. "Are you packed?"

"Almost. I just need a few things from the house." Jim jogged toward the house.

"Gus, please hand me that extra rope." Soni took it from the stable manager. "For some reason, I need it."

"Don't argue with gut feelings." Gus checked his watch. "You have about five hours of daylight left."

"I need to know where they came from. Maybe I can figure out what they want."

Minutes later, Jim returned. Alex, Tatiana, and Grandfather followed. After hugs were given and traveling mercies were expressed, Soni and Jim mounted their horses and rode toward the area where the eight men were spotted.

Goliath and Butkus followed.

At the correct area, they stopped. Soni dismounted and studied the tracks. She squatted and touched the horses' hoof prints. "See this?"

Jim nodded.

"This horseshoe doesn't fit the hoof. If it isn't repaired, the horse could go lame."

Soni climbed onto Midnight. "I hate it when people don't take care of their animals." She pointed west. "They went this direction."

*****
After an hour, they came to a partially dried creek. Soni adjusted her hat so it blocked the descending sun from her eyes. "It doesn't make sense. Why did they cross the creek? Something isn't right." She got off Midnight and dropped the reins. She walked about a quarter of a mile and then said, "They figured we would follow. They're traveling down the middle hoping we can't track them." She pointed. "Here the water isn't flowing. I can see their tracks in the mud."

"How far down creek can they take it?" Jim wiped his brow.

"Probably about another mile. As dry as it's been, the creek should be dried up."

"What are those blue flowers along this creek?"

Soni smiled. "Bluebonnets. They're our state flower. See those orange and yellow ones?" After Jim nodded, she continued, "They're Indian Blankets."

The sun continued to lower in the sky. "Did the Marines teach you to track?" Soni took a drink from her canteen.

"I can track some, but not nearly as well as you." Jim pointed at a dark brown mound. "I know a horse was here and crapped." He laughed.

"Very good," teased Soni. "I'm glad these men can't pull anything over on a former Marine.

Jim tapped his saddlebag. "Any chance we can grab a bite to eat?"

Soni pointed. "I'd like to make that peak, El Capitan, before we take a break. It's the eighth highest point in Texas. Behind it is Guadalupe Mountain, the highest."

"It looks higher than the one I fell from."

"It's a lot higher than Ol' Grizzly. Just don't get close to the edges. They're unstable." Soni hesitated. "Did you bring those binoculars?"

"They're right beside the sandwiches."

"From the top we should be able to see for miles. Maybe we can get a glimpse of them. They aren't moving fast."

"Doesn't that seem strange?" asked Jim.

"It does."

*****
After they climbed single file to the second ledge of the peak, Soni stopped and whispered, "Something isn't right. We need to leave." She carefully turned Midnight around.

Jim followed. "I feel it too."

The hair on Goliath's and Butkus' backs bristled.

A stocky man leaped from the next higher ledge onto Jim and knocked him off Smoky. Jim knocked him out.

Butkus attacked the next man, a short, husky, Hispanic man.

Jim grabbed his Glock .40 cal as a skinny man aimed at him. Jim took the only shot he had, a head shot. He turned when he heard a man yell.

Midnight kicked backward and hit a tall slender man in the groin, causing him to fall to the ground in pain, holding his crouch.

Goliath attacked an older man, who had grabbed Soni from behind. Freed, Soni landed near the edge of the cliff.

A man about Jim's size attempted to engage him in hand-to-hand combat. The heel of Jim's boot flattened the attacker's nose, driving the splintered bone into the brain, instantly killing him. We're missing two. I'd better help Soni with that one. She's too close to the edge and he's big.

At the cliff's edge, Soni round-house kicked a man off the ledge.

Jim hurried but arrived as the man flew over the edge. The unstable limestone gave way under Soni's feet. She slipped and grabbed at the rock and brush growing out of the limestone. Then she landed on rock, about thirty-five feet below.

Jim closed his eyes. Kuruk, I know you have a special bond with Soni. She needs you now more than ever.








Recognized


Thank you Brian, my husband, for the photo of El Capitan Peak with Guadalupe Mountain in the background . Brian and our son, Andrew, and his wife, Katie, climbed Guadalupe Mountain, in West Texas last Sunday. I have found a lot of verb tense issues in this post. I don't usually make that mistake. Please let me know if I didn't catch them all. I really appreciate the reviews and assistance you give me. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post. I do not describe the physical features of my characters in every post. I have already written 259 pages. Their descriptions were about 235 pages ago.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.