Supernatural Fiction posted May 11, 2015 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 19... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Berwick Witches Series: Book One

A chapter in the book Dark Covenant

Silent Victory

by amahra




Background
New Berwick, Illinois, a mystical land where witches rule under the watchful eyes of the Dominions.
(Recap from previous chapter)
Thanks to Jewel and Beatrice, the moon curse is broken. The werewolves are in no danger of Sheriff Wayne Tilbert and the Sheerfield County Police discovering their secret.  The wolves can shapeshift at will, but are no longer slaves to a monstrous full moon. And Russell Sooner is alive and well—that is, as well as a little werewolf can be, and back into the loving arms of his unsuspecting parents.  At last, all seems quiet in New Berwick.

 
River Porter couldn’t get enough of the bright full moon. It was the beginning of a series of new nights for him and his wolf pack. Families of wolves camped out and sat around a crackling fire roasting lamb, guzzling beer, singing and rejoicing in their new found freedom from the curse of the moon, while their children played night ball nearby.  It was the first time the pack had witnessed what other creatures had known for centuries—just how beautiful and glorious the full moon could be without dreading its curse of shapeshifting, violence and bloodlust.

River took a deep breath and closed his eyes. The night air filled his lungs with ecstasy and the fragrance of joy. Jewel joined him on the patio. She placed her head upon his shoulder and spoke to him softly.

“I’m pregnant,” she said.  “The goddess has forgiven us and has granted me a son.”

River’s eyes glassed over.  A warm pool of tears streamed down his cheeks. Without looking at her, he slipped his arm around her waist and held her at his side. They stood blank-faced and gazed at the moon. He kissed her forehead many times as they listened to the high-pitched laughter of their nearby neighbors. Neither spoke for hours.
*****

On the edge of Norwick Forrest near Hamstead Creek, the young adult wolves held their own party away from the prying eyes of their parents. Interpol's rock classic, All Fired Up, defined the mood as a young blonde scooted by and shoved fresh cold bottles of beer into Matthew's and Kayla's hands, then pranced off shoving one into each hand that was reaching.

The night wind lightly brushed against Kayla's hair. Matthew threw his head back and downed his beer in one breath, then tossed the empty bottle into the trash basket. He grabbed Kayla and pulled her gently to his chest. She let the half empty beer bottle slip from her fingers to the grass. He parted his lips and took hers into the warmth of his mouth. She moaned and wrapped her arms around his neck. The torrid sounds of the rock album helped them lose themselves in the sweetness of their own world. He kissed her long and passionately. She broke away momentarily and rested her cheek against his chin. She pulled back a little and noticed his gaze.

"Why do you keep looking up and smiling? You act as if you've never seen the moon before."

"Oh, be... because I'm happy to be with the most beautiful girl in the world," he stammered, looking down at her.

"Then...shouldn't you be looking at me," she teased, cocking her head to one side.

He grabbed her by the waist and lifted her above his head. "You're right," he said, smiling at her. She giggled as he brought her down to earth.

He gently pushed her down on the grass--tumbling on top of her. His body pressed against hers and he smothered her neck and shoulders with multiple kisses. She ran her fingers through his dark hair and tightened them around the locks. She pushed him away playfully and pouted her full lips like he'd been naughty.

"I've missed you," she said. "I thought you were avoiding me."

"No. I just had some urgent family matters I had to deal with. I'll make it up to you. I promise."

She looked over at him and frowned. "I hope nothing too serious."

He sat up. She popped up and slid next to him. The light of the moon, mixed with the park lights, loomed above them. Earlier, Matthew had explained to his cousin Rick why he wanted to tell Kayla he was a werewolf, but Rick advised against it. He told Matthew that human girls simply couldn't be trusted with a secret--especially one as delicate as theirs. Matthew disagreed. He would wait for the right moment, he told Rick. Matthew was sure she'd understand. Their love for each other was stronger than any secret. I hope you know what you're doing, Rick had warned.

"Hey. Earth to Matthew. Come in," Kayla joked.

His mind snapped back to the moment, and he looked over at her. Then playfully pushed her back onto the grass and stroked the night lights from her hair. "I'm sorry," he said, flashing his perfect white smile.

"Where were you just then?"

"I was lost in the beauty of your love," he said, clowning.

"Liar." She playfully smacked his face, and they rolled about on the grass kissing and wrestling.
*****

Doctor Lorac was just about to have a nightcap when her doorbell rang.

“Who the devil is that at this hour?” she thought out loud.

She walked briskly to the door and peeked through the peep hole. It was Charlton Daniels, the young Pathologist from the medical center. She unbolted the door, undid the night chain and opened it.

“Charlie?”

“Doctor Lorac, may I come in? It will only take a minute. I promise.”

Doctor Lorac moved aside. “Of course,” she said. “Come in.”

He wiped his feet before stepping onto the shiny hardwood floor. She closed the door then gestured to him. “Please, have a seat. “  As he turned and walked over to the multi-colored sofa, she said, following closely behind him, “Can I get you a Brandy? I was about to have one myself.”

“Yes, thank you. And make mine a double if you don't mind," he said, giving the living room a good looking over.

Doctor Lorac frowned as she walked over to the Brookfield bar and poured Brandy into two short, thick glasses. She walked back and handed one to Charlton. After a few gulps, he leaned forward and gazed down into the glass; his eyes appeared to be searching. She eased down in a high back chair facing him and took a sip of her drink. He looked up at her.

“Doctor Lorac, you’ve known me a long time. I…I mean at least a few years.” He stopped and took another gulp. Doctor Lorac sat watching him under her dark lashes—her eyes fixed on his mouth. He continued. “What I’m about to tell you is going to sound crazy, I know. But I…I beg you to hear me out.”

“Charlie, what on earth has gotten you so overwrought?”

“Just hear me out,” he said, then drained his glass. “You know the Sooner boy’s blood sample you sent me?”

“Yes. What about it?”

“Well, I lied about the results.”

“What do you mean, you lied?”

“Two of the blood collection tubes were missing labels. I'm not sure what happened.  I checked the list and saw whose labels were missing. So, I went down to the children's ward, found the two kids and drew their blood again. Both hated being stuck a second time, by the way. If their little pouts could kill, I'd be dead."

“Okay, but you stated that Sooner's results were normal. Now, you're telling me you lied. Why?”

“I didn’t know what else to do.” Charlton looked at her sternly without batting an eye. “The truth is, Doctor Lorac, the blood is not human. I know it sounds incredible, but I tested it three times to make sure. And...and, I'm telling you, it's not human. I'm going to take it to the state lab and get their opinion, but I wanted to run it by you first." Charlton took a deep breath and waited for her response.

Doctor Lorac just stared at him at first, then she slowly placed her drink on the glass end table and shot up from the chair. “Charlie,” she said, walking swiftly to the door, “I think you should go home and get some sleep. And I wouldn't mention this to anybody else if I were you.” She pulled open the door and stood with the knob still in her hand.

Charlton rose, walked to the door and stood facing her. “Doctor Lorac, what I've told you seems ridiculous, but I can assure you…”

“Good night, Charlie,” she said, avoiding his eyes.

The night air breezed through the door as she held it open. Charlton lowered his head and eased by her. “Good night, Doctor Lorac. Sorry I bothered you,” he said. He walked slowly out into the night. She closed the door behind him then casually walked over to the kitchen nook, picked up the phone and dialed. She drummed her fingers on the counter as it rang.

The ringing broke through the dark silence of the bedroom. A sleepy Jewel rolled over from beneath the arm of her husband. She lifted her head from the pillow and turned on the light. She clicked the phone. “Hello,” she said in a whispery voice.

“Jewel, wake River. We’ve got a problem.”
*****








 



Recognized


New Berwick, Illinois is comprised of four regions: Falcon Haven, Northern and Southern Greyscott Falls, Sheerfield County and Ironforge.

Main Characters

Northern Greyscott Falls:

River Porter....... Main Character
Jewel Porter....... River's wife
Their daughters....Chelsey, Abby, Dria, and Becca

Southern Greyscott Falls:

Dex Porter.........River's brother
Matthew (Matt) Porter... Dex's son
Jan Porter ....Dex's wife and Jewel's cousin/sister-in-law
Raymond Carter.. Dex's neighbor
Debbie Carter... Raymond's mother

Falcon Haven:

Beatrice ....... Jewel's best friend
Kayla Morrison.. Beatrice's niece

Sheerfield County:

Wayne Tilbert....... Sheriff of Sheerfield County
Reece Tilbert....... Wayne's wife/Sheerfield Bank president
Veronica (Ronnie) Tilbert...Wayne daughter/Kayla's BFF
Christopher Tilbert.........Wayne and Reece's son
Christa......................Veronica and Kayla's BFF
Bob Wilson..................Sheerfield County Coroner

Ironforge:

Corina Brewer...............Sorcerer
Hollie Brewer...............Corina's sister/Sorcerer
Gunner Lenox................Sorcerer
Amber Moore.................Sorcerer

Supporting Cast

New Berwick residents


Art Work: Her Eyes by Diane Azdamar at dianae.cgsociety.org


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. amahra All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
amahra has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.