Humor Poetry posted April 27, 2015 Chapters:  ...228 229 -230- 231... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Clerihew

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Barrack Obama

by Treischel

Barrack Obama
And the Dalai Lama
0ne lives near Siam
The other abandoned Afghanistan






Another poetic format I just learned about as I read reviews by those in the National Poetry Month challenge, which requires a posting daily during the month of April in the required format. I'll describe it below, but I'm not surprised that the form was invented by a 16 year old who was passing satyrical comments to his classmates.

This poem is a Clerihew.
A Clerihew is a whimsical, four-line biographical poem invented by Edmund Clerihew Bentley. The first line is the name of the poem's subject, usually a famous person put in an absurd light. The rhyme scheme is AABB, and the rhymes are often forced. The line length and meter are irregular. Bentley invented the c
Clerihew in school and then popularized it in books.
A Clerihew has the following properties:
It is biographical and usually whimsical, showing the subject from an unusual point of view; it mostly pokes fun at famous people
-It has four lines of irregular length and metre (for comic effect)
-The rhyme structure is AABB; the subject matter and wording are often humorously contrived in order to achieve a rhyme, including the use of phrases in Latin, French and other non-English languages.
-The first line contains, and may consist solely of, the subject's name. According to a letter in the Spectator in the 1960s, Bentley said that a true Clerihew has to have the name "at the end of the first line", as the whole point was the skill in rhyming awkward names.

I captured these two images from Yahoo Images, then combined them here.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.