Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted April 26, 2015


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Shortage of thinking

I believe

by Cogitator

I believe...NOTHING

Belief is only assumption. If we assume something to be true without understanding WHY it is true, we must inject faith as a temporary bond to live according to it. Assumption is what makes fools of us all.

The majority of the world's population makes decisions on its belief and value systems. These belief and value systems are schools of thought, or isms. Once an ism is adopted, it creates a mental prison from which escape is very difficult. Groups form based upon their common belief(s) and get together to bolster their way of thinking. Whenever a greater truth tries to infiltrate such groups, it is categorically rejected because it would destroy wrongful belief upon which the groups had formed. That would cause a huge loss of self-esteem for the members and the groups would dissipate. People kill and die for their beliefs. No one who lives with truth would ever want to kill.

This "need to believe" is caused by ignorance. Unless we seek to remove ignorance by gaining knowledge, which can lead to understanding, there is no escaping our self-made prison. Ignorance is not understanding; not wanting to understand is stupidity. It is impossible to improve our understanding without awareness and an open mind; also much patience.

We all know there is more to our lives than occupying an animal body for a short period of time before we give it back to Mother Earth. Belief systems based upon superstition, tradition and ignorance (or rejection) of scientific facts cannot continue without causing more pain. There should be a quest for understanding consciousness (there is among many) that would unify us all in truth, rather than dogma.

"There are two ways to be fooled; one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to accept what is true." Soren Kierkegaard

When I hear someone say "I believe," I hear "I'm ignorant of the truth." There does not exist one belief that can be true. If it were true, we would call it knowledge. Knowledge is a synonym for Science. When scientists come upon a new theory, they earnestly try to disprove it through observation and testing. Religion creates illusory ideas and tries to make them true for its followers by indoctrination, propaganda and even force.

Belief is the curse of mankind.



I Believe writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story or essay that begins with the sentence: I believe _______ (finish the sentence). Maximum word count: 1,000.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Cogitator All rights reserved.
Cogitator has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.