General Fiction posted April 26, 2015 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Cadence and her students meet with Charles, the donor's son.

A chapter in the book Destiny's Angel

Time and Time Again

by davisr (Rhonda)




Background
Cadence and her students talk to Charles Collins, the son of the mystery donor who has promised a donation to their toy drive.
This is the last few lines of the last chapter:

*****
"So, do you guys want to walk away now? I'd say this is the time to do it if we are going to."

"Not until we find out what the dude next door has to say," Leo spoke up for the group. "I mean, he is this Nick Collin's son. That's closer than you've gotten so far, Miss."

"Okay, then," Cadence said, taking the note and sticking it in her purse. "Let's go talk to Charles."

*****
New Chapter:

There was no need to peer into the window of "Time and Time Again". The door was propped open and a stream of people poured in and out, smiles on their faces, and excitement in their steps.

Where Destiny's Angel was dark and austere, this store, was full of vibrant colors. Loud Christmas music blared over a speaker system that seemed to have outlets all over the store. A large bearded man dressed in full Santa attire stood behind a countered and beckoned to them.

"Merry Christmas," he boomed out with a smile and a very Santa-like chuckle. "Can I help you fine folks this day?"

"I'm not really sure," Cadence answered with a well-practiced smile.

Years of asking for donations, planning school events and running drives had taught Cadence how to deal with all kinds of people. Dealing with a boisterous Santa was nothing compared to planning an ice cream party for the whole freshman class after they won a newspaper drive.

"I was supposed to meet with Nick Collins, next door, about a business venture," she explained, "but he left a note instructing us to speak with his son. Are you Charles?"

"No, ma'am," he replied, still smiling broadly, "but I will be happy to help you."

"Charles isn't here," a brunette elf next to the Santa figure interrupted. "He's our boss, but he left about half an hour ago."

"Of course he has," Mia muttered.

Cadence ignored her comment and then turned to the Santa expectantly.

"Do you know where he's gone? It is very urgent that we speak with him."

"I have no idea where he is," the portly man replied, his bright smile fading a bit. "He said he would be right back."

"I understand," Cadence said using her teacher voice. "If he isn't here, he isn't here, but maybe there is something you can help me with."

"Sure," Santa said hesitantly. "What is it?"

Cadence leaned against the counter and looked at both figures conspiratorially. The large Santa and the gum smacking elf leaned in as well.

"Can you tell me anything about the owner of Destiny's Angel?" She asked quietly.

"Not really," the elf began. "I mean, he's not really here that much. He's definitely our boss's father, but he doesn't open his store on a regular basis. To be honest, I don't know how he hopes to make money the way he does business."

"I don't think he really needs the money," Santa offered, his voice loud in spite of their closeness. "They say he's loaded and only has the store for a hobby."

"Or maybe you two talk too much," a voice snapped as a medium sized man with dark shaggy hair approached from somewhere in the back of the store.

"Mr. Collins!" The elf sputtered. "I didn't know you were back."

"Apparently not," her boss stated.

He walked over and joined the group, a jolly manner belying his scolding words.

"Hi, I'm Charles Collins, and I assume you are Cadence Uriel. I've been expecting you. Who are these fine young people with you?"

Cadence introduced her students, each shaking his firm hand in turn. Inspite of her earlier frustration, she was drawn into the man's infectious personality. He wasn't at all what Cadence would have expected from the son of the eccentric donor.

"I was supposed to meet your father," she explained. "There was a package of his that was lost three evenings ago by a man who got mugged down the street, and he had asked us to help retrieve it."

"He told me about that," Charles said, pulling Cadence into a warm Christmas hug. "He was pretty upset about the loss of that package."

"And I hope he was worried about the man who was injured," Shanice said.

She crossed her arms across her chest and tilted her head to the side.

"Naturally," Charles intoned sweetly. "I'm sure that's one reason he wants you to find the man. Apparently he wouldn't let you call an ambulance or take him to a doctor."

"No, he wouldn't," Cadence said, "and that was certainly frustrating, but my lack of ability to connect with your father is another. He has asked us to fulfill a very strange request, one I'm not really sure we are up to, and we can't seem to meet up with him."

"I'm sorry to hear it," Charles said, his voice as sincere as his words suggested. "But this time really wasn't his fault. He called all the local homeless shelters to ask if anyone had shown up Thursday looking like he had been beaten up. One said that they had and so my father left to go check it out. You see, he's not asking you to do it alone."

"Why even ask me to help at all?" Cadence asked. "What could I possibly do? You father seems to have an over inflated view of my abilities. Doesn't he realize I'm just a teacher?"

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but I have no clue what my father knows or thinks, but if he has asked you to do something, you can be sure that he is quite certain you are equal to the task. He is quite a remarkable judge of character."

"He doesn't even know me."

"He doesn't need to."

"Seems to me he could hire anyone he wants."

"Apparently he's hired you," Charles replied, "and from what I understand, at a very healthy price."

"I hear that," Leo commented, "but I still don't know how I feel about how safe this whole thing is."

"The shelter Dad is visiting is very secure," Charles explained. "We actually know the people who run it. They give people a safe place to live and a new beginning. I can personally vouch for your safety. Dad would never ask you to go if it was dangerous."

Charles held up a piece of paper. "It's here in a note Dad left with me."

The handwriting on its surface looked very much like the note in Cadence's hand.

"What else does it say?" Cadence asked, pausing before taking it from Charles' hand. "Have you read it?"

"I watched him write it. Basically, he asks you to join him at the shelter where he would like you to help him check on the old man's health and ask him some questions."

"And the reason why he wants me to do this and not the police?" Cadence asked.

"Dad thinks the man, C-Daddy, I think they say he is called, would come closer to trusting you than the authorities. Most people in shelters of any kind tend to be very distrusting, and Dad hopes that you two might have developed some sort of rapport."

"Okay, I'll buy that," Cadence said, "although I'm not sure how much of a connection we made in our brief encounter. He does feel as though he owes me a debt for giving him bus fare money, and that might help open conversation."

"This kinda reminds me of a treasure hunt, Miss Uriel," Shanice commented. "Phone calls, missed appointments, cryptic notes...all part of the game."

"I'm not sure it's a game," Charles said, holding his father's note up enticingly, "but it is an adventure. The choice is yours, Miss Uriel. Take it or leave it."

"I'll take it," Cadence decided, reaching for the note. "But this time, kids, I am going alone."





Thank you to the artwork from lynnkah from FanArtReview. Gotta love the wonderful artwork from our "sister site".

This is the continuing story of Cadence Uriel and her teenaged students who are trying to help an eccentric store owner connect with a package that was intercepted one snowy evening. They are promised a huge sum of money once the missing package is found. While seeming somewhat innocent on the surface, it will quickly become the adventure of a lifetime as the real world becomes entwined with the gods of lore.


Baltimore .....Setting of most of the story
Ellicott City ..... A quaint shopping district outside Baltimore where part of the story takes place
Benjamin Franklin High School .....School Cadence where Cadence teaches
Destiny's Angel ..... Store in Ellicott City owned by Nick Collins
Time and Time Again ..... Charles' store next door to Destiny's Angel
American Rescue Workers .....Shelter where C-Daddy lives

Serpents ..... Bad Guys made up of gods and humans
Henry/Hypnos .....Twin of Thantos: one of the bad gods - god of hypnosis and sleep
Bram/Thantos ..... Twin of Hypnos: one of the bad gods - god of death
Ares: Evil sister goddess

C-Daddy ..... Homeless man who ends up being at the center of the adventure
Nick Collins ..... Mysterious Angel Donor. Owns store, "Destiny's Angel"
Charles ..... Nick's son
Alvin ..... Young man who works at the mall
Barkley: Cab driver

Cadence Uriel ..... 30 year old Chemistry teacher
Shanice ..... Student Council president
Leonardo (Leo) ..... Student Council Vice President
Mia ..... Student Council Secretary
Sarah ..... Student Council Treasurer
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by lynnkah at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.