Mystery and Crime Fiction posted April 25, 2015 Chapters: -1- 1... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The Autopsy

A chapter in the book The Curse of 'Gator Bayou

'Gator Bait Part 2

by justjo66


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for language.



Background
"Curse of Gator Bayou "is a story about a young girl's survival and the efforts of a young sheriff to erase the guilt he feels of not keeping a promise.
The Coroner's office wasn't far from the police station in an old red brick building built in the 1800's. Renee did not look forward to watching an autopsy, but this one he would attend. He trusted Jake Smith; he was a professional at his work. If anyone could give him some answers, he could.

"You ready Sheriff to do this thing?" Jake walked towards the silver double metal doors pulling up thick rubber gloves all the way up to his elbows. "If you feel yourself getting sick just step outside the door for a little fresh air."

"Thanks, Jake, I will."

Renee's first impression on entering the room was its coldness and smell of cleaning fluids. Three metal rolling tables were parked in the right corner. Various ominous tools and instruments were lying on and hanging above a white cabinet.

"Okay, here we go." Jake pulled out a large drawer and the body of the man that had been in the bayou just that morning came rolling out. A white sheet was draped loosely over the body and a toe tag was in place.

Jake Smith did a thorough exam of the body first looking then taking samples of hair, nails and body fluids. He then made a 'Y' incision from shoulder to shoulder and from waist down. "Sheriff, you look a little green around the gills," Jake smiled.

"Yep, not feeling too well. I think I'll go back to your office and wait 'til you're finished."

"Fine, fine...I won't be too much longer," Jake said as he reached for a power saw. "Just got to get his brain out, and weigh it then sew him back up. I'll join you in a while."

"Okay, take your time." Renee turning sweaty and greenish lunged for the double doors.

Renee looked up at the large clock hanging over Jake's office door. It had been exactly an hour since Renee had felt faint and left the autopsy room. Jake came through the door wiping his hands on a clean towel. Unlit cigar in his mouth.

"Well... we have a male approximately forty-five years old, dark hair, weight probably around 250ish. I think he might have been 5ft. 8 or 9 inches, of course, without legs or arms just a guess. He ate about four hours before he died. Rice and Beans it appears. A knife to his heart is the cause of death. I can tell you for sure he was dead when he entered the water. No fluid in his lungs. No grasses or swamp filth in the lungs or stomach either. All that tells me, he didn't hit the water alive. Teeth in bad shape but no fillings so no need to try to get dental records."

"Was he drunk?" Renee asked.

"I won't know for sure until I get the toxicology report back, but I can bet you he was loaded. His face pretty puffy from being in the water a couple days. Lots of red broken capillaries on his face and nose most likely from excessive alcohol use. He also had a shallow stab wound to his back left shoulder. The alligators and critters had a picnic off his body. I'm not sure why he wasn't eaten completely. Maybe just not enough time in the water. Anyway, that is what I can tell you for now. I'll have more in a week when my reports all come back."


"Thanks Jake. Now if we just knew his name."

"That's no problem. I know who he is."

"You do? Why the hell didn't you tell me right off?"

"I usually try to think of these cases as non-persons; it helps me get through the process. His name is Claude Terrebonne. He lives out on Bayou Cane with a wife and passel of kids. They don't get to town much, but he's in town every weekend and some weekdays. He hung out down at the Crab Shack. I've heard he was a pretty mean bastard...liked to throw his weight around. Did anyone find his pirogue? He would have had one unless someone stole it or killed him up bayou and threw him in for the alligators to finish him off."

"No, the pirogue hasn't turned up. I remember that family. I especially remember a dark- haired girl about fifteen. She had the prettiest sad blue eyes. The day I made my rounds out on Bayou Cane the husband wasn't home. I never met Mr. Terrebonne."

"You didn't miss much. Like I said... he was a sorry mean cuss. Guess you'll be going out to tell the wife?"

"Yep, and ask a few questions."

"Better not go out by yourself. Those people aren't too keen on strangers in their swamps."

"Thanks Jake, I think I can handle it myself."

"Well don't say I didn't warn you. Some crazy ass cajuns in them bayous."







Chapter one A : A body is found floating in the bayou. The story continues...
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by lynnkah at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. justjo66 All rights reserved.
justjo66 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.