General Fiction posted April 25, 2015 Chapters: 3 4 -5- 6... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The story of Cadence and her students continues.

A chapter in the book Destiny's Angel

The Note

by davisr (Rhonda)



Background
Cadence and the students find a note from their benefactor after discovering he isn't where he said he would be.
Ending of last post:

*****
Cadence nodded in agreement, and then tore open the envelope, her fingers trembling at the seam. Carefully, she pulled out a folded piece of paper, and smoothed it out on the counter next to the plate of cupcakes. All three bent over to look.

"You've got to be kidding me," Cadence said, slapping her hand on her forehead.

*****

The note began in the same unique handwriting that addressed the envelope, and gave Cadence a cold chill that raised the hair on her arms. It seemed to match the commanding voice of Mr. Collins, and she wasn't even sure why it did.

"Sorry to miss you again," it began, "but this time it's my fault. I have gone to check out a lead on the package. If you go next door to the store, Time and Time Again, you can talk to my son, Charles. He will instruct you further in your task. If you choose to take on the challenge, I wish you luck. If you do not, then I will understand that the assignment is out of your comfort zone and that you would be better suited to wait for other types of donations."

Cadence dropped her hand from her forehead and growled in frustration.

"What on Earth is that supposed to mean?" She asked. "What do you two think?"

A mumbling was heard as the girls reread the note, partially to themselves and partially out loud. Finally they looked up puzzled.

"Sounds like a challenge to me," Mia decided.

"Sounds like the run-a-round," Shanice disagreed.

"He's definitely rich," Mia stated, once more expressing the prevalent attitude of her peers.

"I can't argue with you there." Cadence nodded. "But it still leaves us with a difficult choice, and with no chance to quiz Nick about the contents of the package."

They all turned as they heard the door open with an audible pop. Leo strode in with a look of concern on his face, followed closely by Sarah.

"What's going on?" Leo asked.

"I thought you two were on duty," Cadence responded, raising an eyebrow dramatically.

"And I thought Shanice and Mia were supposed to be, too," Leonardo countered. "What's up with that?"

"We were curious," Shanice explained.

"And we were worried when you guys went into a dark store and didn't come back out." Sarah ended the debate.

"And where's this Nick guy?" Leo spoke up. "He's the one who was all demanding we be here on time."

"Apparently called away on some urgent business," Cadence answered. "We got this note telling us to go next door and talk to his son, Charles."

She held the slip of paper up for him and Sarah to see.

"Now that's just wrong," Sarah said with exasperation. "Can't he simply act professional?"

"Doesn't look like it," Mia replied. "He cut out like my Uncle Melvin when the rent's due."

Cadence barely suppressed a smile as she looked around at her students.

"It is getting rather frustrating trying to connect with the man," she finally said.

Leo took the note and read it for himself. A dark look came over his face, and In his usual non verbal way, communicated disapproval with silence.

"Well," Cadence began, "he's the one with the money to give away. I guess that gives him the right to be eccentric."

"Maybe," Mia allowed, "but he's being rude, too, and money doesn't excuse that."

"No, it doesn't," Cadence agreed. "So, do you guys want to walk away now? I'd say this is the time to do it if we are going to."

"Not until we find out what the dude next door has to say." Leo spoke for the group. "I mean, he's this Nick Collin's son. That's closer than you've gotten so far, Miss."

"Okay, then," Cadence agreed, taking the note and sticking it in her purse. "Let's go talk to Charles."




Thanks to photobeat for the artwork to enhance the story!

This is a fantasy novella about a high school chemistry teacher who is also the sponsor of the Student Council at Benjamin Franklin High School in inner city Baltimore. She and her officers receive an offer of a huge sum of money that will help her group fulfill the Christmas dreams of many of the kids in the area. Through a series of adventures, they finally have a show down with a group of gods who are trying to take over the world by sowing hate and despair.

Baltimore .....Setting of most of the story
Ellicott City ..... A quaint shopping district outside Baltimore where part of the story takes place
Benjamin Franklin High School .....School Cadence where Cadence teaches
Destiny's Angel ..... Store in Ellicott City owned by Nick Collins
Time and Time Again ..... Charles' store next door to Destiny's Angel
American Rescue Workers .....Shelter where C-Daddy lives

Serpents ..... Bad Guys made up of gods and humans
Henry/Hypnos .....Twin of Thantos: one of the bad gods - god of hypnosis and sleep
Bram/Thantos ..... Twin of Hypnos: one of the bad gods - god of death
Ares: Evil sister goddess

C-Daddy ..... Homeless man who ends up being at the center of the adventure
Nick Collins ..... Mysterious Angel Donor. Owns store, "Destiny's Angel"
Charles ..... Nick's son
Alvin ..... Young man who works at the mall
Barkley: Cab driver

Cadence Uriel ..... 30 year old Chemistry teacher
Shanice ..... Student Council president
Leonardo (Leo) ..... Student Council Vice President
Mia ..... Student Council Secretary
Sarah ..... Student Council Treasurer
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.