Fantasy Science Fiction posted April 22, 2015 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Cadence and her group try to reconnect with the donor.

A chapter in the book Destiny's Angel

Return to Ellicott City

by davisr (Rhonda)



Background
Cadence Uriel, high school teacher and Student Council Sponsor, was thwarted by an injured homeless man from retrieving a generous offer of money from an secretive donor. Now she is going to try again
Cadence parked her Volkswagen a few stores down from the little shop, Destiny's Angel. The weather, this time, was accommodating, allowing a clear view of both sides of the street. Before getting out and heading to her destination, Cadence paused a few brief moments to absorb the atmosphere of Historic Ellicott City, Maryland.

She could see Holiday shoppers scampering about excitedly, carrying large plastic bags teaming with seasonal purchases. The various colored stores sported decorations of all variety and hues, lending a festive aura to Cadence's big adventure. If not for the seriousness of her mission, she might have relaxed and enjoyed herself.

Moments later, Cadence detached from her visual journey. She and her Student Council officers climbed out of the car and then headed separate ways, each following a well-orchestrated plan.

Cadence approached Destiny's Angel warily, pausing once she reached the door. Almost subconsciously, she ran a hand lightly across its surface and sighed, as though this simple act would give her the courage she needed to face her mysterious donor.

Twinkling lights still graced the door in all their Christmas glory, and the strange Santa seemed to be looking straight at her. Floating above him, the angel in the gossamer gown looked at Cadence as though she harbored a deep secret. Cadence marveled at the detail the artist had taken on a drawing that would be removed as soon as the Christmas season was over.

"That is so beautiful," Shanice whispered, joining her at the door. "Nick Collins might be a strange guy, but he does know his art."

"It is nice, but there is something strange about it, too."

"What are you two looking at?" A voice asked from behind.

"Not you, too," Cadence complained, turning to look at the newly arrived Mia. "I told both of you that I wanted to meet with Mr. Collins alone."

"Miss," Shanice defended, "there is strength in numbers."

"And I definitely smell cupcakes coming from out of this store," Mia added. "We couldn't allow you to go in there by yourself when there are clearly cupcakes involved."

"Of course not," Cadence stated, sarcasm beginning to replace patience. "So, where are Sarah and Leonardo?"

"They're out there," Shanice answered, motioning with her arm towards the sidewalks. "Someone has to organize the other Student Council members. So, what's going on in there?"

"I don't know, yet," Cadence admitted. "I haven't even opened the door. It looks like it might be closed."

Shanice, the tallest of the group, peered through the space between Santa's red-capped head and the bottom of the angel's lacy gown. All she could see was what Cadence had seen the night before; a single candle glowing upon a table. In the shadows antique looking objects began to appear as shadowy images across the room.

"Let's go in," Shanice urged. "We don't want you to be late this time."

"Okay, but let me go first," Cadence insisted. "I don't like the fact that we can't see anyone in there, and that you two were supposed to wait on me ."

*****

Directly across the road from Destiny's Angel, Leo sat alone in a softly tinted gold Mustang watching the front door of the store like a lion guarding his den. He had several Student Council members strategically placed around town where they could materialize if needed. Unbeknownst to Miss. Uriel, a few other friends had shown up to help, too -- ones he could not admit to his favorite teacher were part of his circle of friends.

A few stores down, Sarah waited pensively on a bench. She was bundled snugly in a warm fur-lined coat that her mother had given her in a happier time. It was one of the luxuries her father had chosen not to sell when times grew tough. Like Leonardo, she refused to be sidetracked by the many available distractions in the town, or to enter Destiny's Angel before the designated time.

Cadence glanced quickly at both Leo and Sarah and nodded so that they knew she was aware they were there before she reached to turn the knob, but though she grasped it firmly, it resisted.

"He knew we were coming," Cadence muttered. "Why lock the store?"

"Back up," Mia said, squeezing her way through.

Grabbing the handle with both hands, she twisted as hard as she could, and the knob yielded.

"Gotta put some effort into it," she explained, swinging open the heavy door.

A soft overhead light flickered on upon their entry, exposing a room sparsely stocked with items that had the look and smell of antiques. Not to anyone's surprise, there were no people visible anywhere, but wafting across to them from a counter was the distinct aroma of freshly baked Christmas treats and warm apple cider laced with cinnamon. Cadence took in a deep refreshing breath, as though the scent had healing powers. She noticed the girls doing the same. It almost made her less perturbed that they had chosen to ignore her orders and enter the store with her.

With a wry smile that bordered on grimace, Cadence strolled over to the counter hoping to find some evidence of the owner. Instead, she found a plate of freshly baked cupcakes with multi-colored icing, and a carafe of apple cider. Beside them sat several empty coffee cups and an envelope with her name on it.

Cadence picked up the envelope, noticing strong artistic writing on its surface. She held it up to her nose and breathed in the scent of candied yams. Did everything in this store have to smell like Christmas?

"What's that?" Mia asked, reaching for a cupcake and glass of cider.

"I'm guessing it's a note for me," she replied.

"Read it," Shanice urged when she noticed Cadence hesitate.

"I was about to," Cadence responded. "I just find this whole situation weird. Nick should have been here."

"Maybe he explains everything in the note," Mia offered.

Cadence nodded in agreement, and then tore open the envelope, her fingers trembling at the seam. Carefully, she pulled out a folded piece of paper, and smoothed it out on the counter next to the plate of cupcakes. All three bent over to look.

"You've got to be kidding me," Cadence said, slapping her hand on her forehead.




Special thanks to Dick Lee Shia for his artwork, Christmas Angel.

This is a fantasy novella about a high school chemistry teacher who is also the sponsor of the Student Council at Benjamin Franklin High School in inner city Baltimore. She and her officers receive an offer of a huge sum of money that will help her group fulfill the Christmas dreams of many of the kids in the area. Through a series of adventures, they finally have a show down with a group of gods who are trying to take over the world by sowing hate and despair.

Baltimore .....Setting of most of the story
Ellicott City ..... A quaint shopping district outside Baltimore where part of the story takes place
Benjamin Franklin High School .....School Cadence where Cadence teaches
Destiny's Angel ..... Store in Ellicott City owned by Nick Collins
Time and Time Again ..... Charles' store next door to Destiny's Angel
American Rescue Workers .....Shelter where C-Daddy lives

Serpents ..... Bad Guys made up of gods and humans
Henry/Hypnos .....Twin of Thantos: one of the bad gods - god of hypnosis and sleep
Bram/Thantos ..... Twin of Hypnos: one of the bad gods - god of death
Ares: Evil sister goddess

C-Daddy ..... Homeless man who ends up being at the center of the adventure
Nick Collins ..... Mysterious Angel Donor. Owns store, "Destiny's Angel"
Charles ..... Nick's son
Alvin ..... Young man who works at the mall
Barkley: Cab driver

Cadence Uriel ..... 30 year old Chemistry teacher
Shanice ..... Student Council president
Leonardo (Leo) ..... Student Council Vice President
Mia ..... Student Council Secretary
Sarah ..... Student Council Treasurer
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.