General Fiction posted April 16, 2015 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Cadence meets with her Student Council Officers.

A chapter in the book Destiny's Angel

A Second Chance

by davisr (Rhonda)



Background
Cadence, teacher and Student Council sponsor, had a strange encounter with a homeless man who kept her from an important meeting. The story continues as Cadence tells her students what happened.
"No," Cadence explained with exasperation, "I did not get the donation."

"Why not?" Shanice asked. "I thought you told us in the text you sent after school yesterday that a man, a banker or something, was supposed to donate money."

"I missed the appointment, and I have no idea what his job is, besides owning a store in Ellicott City," Cadence explained to her Student Council President.

Shanice was a beautiful young lady by anyone's standards, and kind to everyone she knew, both attributes of which made her wildly popular with the other students. Her attitude and brilliance made her equally popular with teachers. She was tall and willowy, with beautiful curls that were immaculately coiffed, and outlined a soft and well sculptured face.

"It was cold; it was snowing, and I tripped over this old guy who had just been mugged," Cadence continued. "I think he was homeless or something."

"How hard did you fall?" Leonardo, the Vice President, broke in from where he slouched in his seat.

"Not hard. I didn't actually hit the ground," Cadence explained, "although I did bang my shin on something, but that's not why I missed the meeting."

"Why did you, then?" Mia, the Secretary, asked.

Mia was African American, just like Shanice, but was shorter and thicker about the waist. Her curls she kept pulled back into a no-nonsense bun, which fit her stoic personality. She wasn't as popular as Shanice, but was fine with working from the background.

"Because I stopped to help the man," Cadence explained. "It's what you do, you know, when you find someone in need."

"We're not saying you shouldn't have helped the old dude," Leonardo explained, "it's just that there are always people getting mugged around here, and you shouldn't put yourself in danger to help them. You call the cops, they show up to help and you go about your way."

"Especially when that means you can't help lots of other people because you missed your appointment," Sarah, the treasurer, pointed out quietly.

"And you shouldn't have been out there alone, anyways," Leonardo scolded. "A little white woman on the street's an easy mark. You should have waited for one of us."

"I was in Ellicott City, not downtown Baltimore," Cadence sighed, "besides, if the streets weren't safe for me, then they weren't for you, either, and that's not the point anyway."

"Right," Sarah agreed. "Point is, Miss. Uriel didn't get the money, and it wasn't completely her fault."

"Thanks, Sarah," Cadence smiled, shaking her head wearily.

"Well, we can still work this out," Shanice offered. "All you have to do is call this Nick guy back and set up another appointment. No problem. If he was generous enough to make the offer once then maybe he won't mind resetting, especially when you explain that whole sad story about the mugged guy."

"I can't," Cadence admitted with chagrin. "He didn't exactly leave a phone number."

"Oh, and you didn't find that suspicious?" Leonardo asked, his soft golden eyes flashing.

Tall for his age, the young Hispanic teen was fiercely protective of anyone he felt was family, extended or otherwise.

"Sort of," Cadence replied, "but I figured he had just overlooked it. He was, after all, offering a lot of money."

Leonardo didn't answer, leaving his silence to voice his distrust.

"And," Cadence continued, "Mr. Collins said that there were several people who wanted the money, and that it was a, 'whoever showed up on time' sort of thing."

"That doesn't sound like sound financial practice," Sarah pointed out.

Sarah, the only Anglo in the group, was the tiniest and most fragile, but wasn't afraid to speak her mind. Unlike her fellow officers, Sarah had grown up privileged. She lived in the middle of Baltimore's poorer district because her family had fallen on hard times.

"He's rich," Leonardo commented sardonically, like that explained everything.

Rich people in economically disadvantaged areas are often distrusted, if not outright despised, and Leonardo's opinion was no exception.

"Well, even more reason to carry on his business professionally," Sarah insisted.

"I agree," Cadence said, "but that doesn't really matter, does it? I mean, last year we didn't have any extra money, and we did just fine."

"That's right," Mia agreed. "We'll have our usual competition between the classes and have the students bring in new and used toys; you know, whatever they can afford. Kids around here don't care if the toys aren't new."

"I'm good with that," Leonardo said, and then his voice lowered, betraying emotion. "You know, I was one of the kids that got toys from here when I was a little kid -- toys that you collected, Miss. Uriel. That's why I decided to become a part of Student Council in the first place. We don't need that man's money to make a difference to kids."

"I didn't realize that about you," Cadence said softly, "but I'm glad you joined us, and you are quite right, we are capable of running our toy drive as we always have. Still I'm not ready to give up on Mr. Collins yet. The last time he called was after 4:00 and it is only 3:45 right now. Maybe he will still call."

"Well, I'm going to stay and see what happens," Shanice announced, folding her arms in front of her chest determinedly.

The others in the group voiced their desire to stay as well. They may have debated the wisdom of pursuing the offer, but the whole thing represented an adventure, and they were young and courageous enough to feel challenged by it.

"I have no problem with you staying, but how will you get home safely?" Cadence asked a bit hesitantly.

"I've got a car," Leonardo announced, holding up a new set of keys as proof. "I told you that this morning, Miss. You told me, 'Wow, cool, now you can drive places for us'. Come on, you seriously need to get it together today."

"I remember now." Cadence chuckled. "I guess I am a bit distracted, it's just that I have so much on my mind. Not only did I miss my meeting, but I have that huge bruise on my shin that's throbbing."

"Gotta watch that snow," Shanice pointed out with a smile.

"And bums on the street," Mia added, her face, as often the case, was calm and stoic.

"Now, we don't really know that he was a bum," Cadence reminded them. "He could have just been a bit down on his luck."

"He could be in a lot of bad luck if what he had in that package was as valuable as it seems," Leonardo stated. "Folks 'round these parts get pretty ticked when people lose their stuff."

"Are you suggesting there was something illegal in that package?" Cadence asked, looking at Leonardo doubtfully.

"I don't know what was in it," Leonardo retorted. "Just saying, if that old guy got beat up for it, then maybe it had something in it that wasn't quite legit. This ain't some little country town, Miss, and not everyone is as innocent as you want them to be."

"And not everyone is up to no good," Cadence countered, looking reproachfully at the young man.

Cadence knew that many of the children in the area were exposed to drugs and violence at an early age. She was trying to change their outlook when and where she could. The reality was, she knew he was probably right.

"Even nice people can be forced to do things if they are hungry enough," Mia said matter-of-factly.

"Or if they are offered enough money," Leonardo added.

"Are you trying to say that everyone has their price?" Cadence asked.

"We mean that in hard times, people have to make hard choices," Leonardo clarified.

"I understand that," Cadence said, "and that's why I'm always telling you students to get an education. It tends to increase your level of choices."

"We know," Leonardo said, "but change isn't easy, Miss."

"And," Mia added, sort of glancing Sarah's way, "even rich people can lose their jobs and need help."

"Well said," Cadence nodded, "and way too true. I'm afraid a lot of lawyers and financial wizards got a rude awakening when they lost their 6 figure incomes in the recent financial market crisis."

"We've been studying about that in history class," Shanice said, her eyes brightening in recognition. "It started in 2007, didn't it?"

"Yeah," Mia agreed. "That's what Mr. Williams said."

"History?" Cadence snorted unattractively. "Already it is history? I guess 9/11 is too."

"Yeah," Shanice said. "I know all of you adults were really affected by it, but we were just little kids when it happened. All we know is what we hear in stories."

"And study in history class," Mia reiterated.

"I guess I know what older people feel like when they talk about Pearl Harbor," Cadence said. "We just don't want the younger generation to forget."

"We forget nothing," Leonardo stated, crossing his arms, "but our lives here in Baltimore, and out on the streets, are all just the same one way or the other. The world is at war, but we are at war in the 'hood', too, and that's why you didn't need to be out walking alone, and why I don't trust what that old dude had in his package."

"Point taken," Cadence said, and then was cut off from further comment by the dramatic ringing of her classroom phone. Fifteen minutes had passed by and the Student Council group had barely felt it.

For a moment, everyone sat and stared at the phone like it was a Poltergeist, afraid, it seemed, to move. Then, as if in one motion, they leapt to their feet and rushed towards it. Cadence reached it first and pressed the button on the speaker. Immediately, they heard a deep mellow voice.

Cadence recognized his distinctive voice immediately, and indicated so by pointing at the phone and mouthing, "it's him".

"Good afternoon," the man said, his powerful voice permeating the room. "I hope all is well after our missed meeting yesterday."

"I'm fine," Cadence replied, her tone professional. "We all are. The students and I were just discussing that meeting and hoping that you would call and reschedule."

"And give us a second chance," Leonardo interjected. "Our teacher got waylaid by an old dude on the pavement."

"I heard about that," Mr. Collins said, "and I am sorry that it happened. I sincerely hope you were not injured, Miss. Uriel.

"Not much," she replied. "Just a little bruise from slipping on the ice. I'm fine, really."

"That's good," Mr. Collins responded. "So maybe you wouldn't mind helping me with something rather important. It will help make up for your tardiness, and guarantee that your group gets the donation I offered before."

"What do you have in mind?" Cadence asked cautiously.

"Well, it seems that the, 'old dude,' you chanced upon was a courier that was supposed to deliver a package of extreme importance to me yesterday. In it was an object of such great value that I could not possibly afford to part with any money until I receive it intact."

"See, I told you," Leonardo whispered, nudging Mia with his elbow and pointing towards the phone. "Folks don't like to lose their stuff."

Cadence heard his comment, and put her finger to her lips to indicate that she wanted him to be quiet. He shrugged his shoulders as though he might be quiet, but still believed his theory. She shrugged her shoulders back.

"How can I help?" Cadence asked into the speaker phone.

"We help?" Leonardo corrected, loud enough for everyone, including Nick Collins, to hear.

"Well," Nick began slowly. "I was hoping that you would track the older gentleman down and retrieve the package he lost."

Cadence had no idea what Nick Collins looked like, but pictured a small thin man with partially balding hair, leaning forward onto folded hands.

"He said he was mugged and the package stolen," Cadence spoke up. "I, personally, saw that he was badly beaten. I'm pretty confident that he doesn't know where your package is."

"I disagree," Mr. Collins stated, his voice taking on an urgent tone. "He might have received a beating, and the package taken from him, but I'm willing to bet that he knows exactly who took it and where it might be found."

"That may be," Cadence said, "but he didn't leave me with any contact information. Don't you know where to find him?"

"I wasn't the one who hired him," Mr. Collins replied.

"Then maybe you should ask whoever did," Mia suggested from the background.

"I can't," Mr. Collins explained curtly. "It seems the sender is away on urgent business. You are my only hope."

"I don't know," Cadence hesitated. "This seems pretty shady to me. Maybe you should call the police or hire a private investigator."

"I will do neither," Mr. Collins insisted, his voice rising in intensity. "I have asked you for help, and don't have time to waste training anyone else . Now, do you want the donation for your toy drive or not?"

"I will have to think it over," Cadence decided. "I'm not even sure if I can find C-Daddy, let alone convince him to find a package he got beat up trying to deliver."

"C-Daddy?" Nick scoffed. "Was that the courier's name?"

"That's what he told me," Cadence replied, "and I didn't press him."

"You have until Saturday at noon," Nick stated, ending the discussion. "Meet me at my store in Ellicott City, and don't be late or the deal is off."

"I will be there no matter what decision I make," Cadence retorted, hanging up the phone. She didn't plan to banter with the man.

"As I said," Leonardo spoke first, "people will do about anything for money."

"I didn't tell him I would do it," Cadence said defensively. "Besides, it's not like he's asking me to do anything illegal."

"And you know this, how?" Leonardo asked.

"He just wants us to find the man who was supposed to deliver a package," Cadence explained weakly.

"I agree with Leo," Mia interjected. "It does seem a bit suspicious."

"He offered the money before the whole C-Daddy thing happened," Cadence reminded them.

"Then if he's on the up and up," Shanice spoke up, "he should go ahead and make his donation."

"How much did he offer anyway?" Sarah asked, her pen poised over a sheet of paper.

Cadence hesitated as she looked around the room at the Student Council officers, and then glanced over at her wall of honor, noticing the many certificates and awards that graced its surface. The Student Council had achieved much since she took over ten years ago. She had dreamed for years of having enough money to reach large numbers of needy children -- children like Leo, who had nothing.

"Five hundred thousand," she enunciated, to the collective gasps of her students.

One by one, they lifted their eyes and looked at Cadence, disbelief written on their faces. Half a million was clearly more than they had expected, more than they could even comprehend. Only Sarah, to whom such numbers had once been a part of life, smiled and nodded.

"Just found my price," Leonardo finally spoke up.

No one spoke for just a moment while the enormity of what they both said sank in.

"So, have you changed your mind about finding C-Daddy, then?" Cadence asked.

"Oh, yeah," Leo stated, sitting upright, his golden eyes alight with adventure. "As I said, I have a car, and plenty of connections on the street."

"Hold on, Leo," Cadence cautioned. "If we take on this challenge, we do it the right way. We don't involve anyone's connections. I would rather turn it down then to encourage you to make bad choices."

"Not all my connections are shady," Leo defended, "but point taken."

"I vote, yes, too," Shanice responded, shaking her head and giggling. "That's more money than even I can think of a way to spend."

"Not me," Mia said. "I could make a long list of things to get for the needy, and programs to invest in."

"It would make great seed money," Sarah added. "It takes money to make money, and if we invest it wisely, we could fund programs for years."

"Just think how much hope we would bring to the community," Shanice smiled brightly. "Miss Uriel, this is so exciting."

"Slow down, guys. I'm happy that you are on board with everything and all," Cadence said, holding up a warning hand, "but we still have to think it through. Like you said, we don't know either man."

The group sat awhile and said nothing. They had just been offered an enormous sum of money to do something that wasn't illegal, but certainly wasn't safe. After a bit, Cadence spoke up.

"I'm going to go ahead and meet with Mr. Collins Saturday and have a chat. If he can give me information I'm comfortable with then I will agree to look into finding his courier. Maybe if he knows I'm putting forth an effort, he will go ahead and donate the money. Sometimes rich people need a little encouragement."

"I can't argue there," Sarah agreed. Her own mother had ditched her father when he lost his money, leaving him with two kids to raise by himself and very little money to do it on.

"Miss Uriel," Shanice interrupted. "I don't think it's safe for you to go to the meeting alone, but what If we all go together, and then fan out once we get there? That way no one is really in danger and we can all be part of the meeting."

"And I can have some of my buddies stationed around the street for extra protection," Leo added, "and I mean my real friends, not the shady ones, Miss."

"Okay," Cadence agreed with the flash of a grin. "What about the rest of you?"

"We're in," Shanice answered for the group again, "but I say we look this Nick Collins guy up on google first. If the internet hasn't heard of him, he doesn't exist."

"I've just done that," Cadence stated, holding up a sheet she had just printed off her computer. "It says that he is a retired businessman out of Baltimore who made millions in the Stock Market, and works now as a small store owner and philanthropist."

"Did it list him as a possible serial killer," Mia asked, "or say that he is quirky or something?"

"It didn't say, quirky, exactly," Cadence explained, "but he seems to be a bit illusive. However, there is no known link to him for any unsolved murders in the Baltimore area."

"Or anywhere else?" Shanice asked.

"Nor anywhere I could find."

"So you looked," Leo pointed out, an eyebrow arched knowingly.

"Of course," she replied, laying the paper on her desk dramatically. "So, meet you here tomorrow at 9am, go for breakfast, and then make our way to Ellicott City. All in raise your hand."

They all did.




Special Thanks to CDFisher for the wonderful artwork!


Baltimore .....Setting of most of the story
Ellicott City ..... A quaint shopping district outside Baltimore where part of the story takes place
Benjamin Franklin High School .....School Cadence where Cadence teaches
Destiny's Angel ..... Store in Ellicott City owned by Nick Collins
Time and Time Again ..... Charles' store next door to Destiny's Angel
American Rescue Workers .....Shelter where C-Daddy lives

Serpents ..... Bad Guys made up of gods and humans
Henry/Hypnos .....Twin of Thantos: one of the bad gods - god of hypnosis and sleep
Bram/Thantos ..... Twin of Hypnos: one of the bad gods - god of death
Ares: Evil sister goddess

C-Daddy ..... Homeless man who ends up being at the center of the adventure
Nick Collins ..... Mysterious Angel Donor. Owns store, "Destiny's Angel"
Charles ..... Nick's son
Alvin ..... Young man who works at the mall
Barkley: Cab driver

Cadence Uriel ..... 30 year old Chemistry teacher
Shanice ..... Student Council president
Leonardo (Leo) ..... Student Council Vice President
Mia ..... Student Council Secretary
Sarah ..... Student Council Treasurer
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.