General Non-Fiction posted April 14, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A childs look at spousal abuse

The first time

by justafan


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.

I remember the first time I witnessed my mother getting beat by my stepfather.

It was late. We had just returned from visiting his family in Mississippi. He was drunk as usual.

My mom had told us to go on into the house and get ready for bed. The oldest of my siblings, I ushered my brother and sister into the house and got them ready.

Mom wasn't inside still.

So, I took my little 8-year-old ass outside to see where she was.

Rounding the side of the house where the car was parked, I witnessed this man (hate giving him any title that denotes "father" status) with his hand full of my mother's long red hair wrapped around his fist.

He had wrapped it around the metal of the door that separates the front from the back...and was yanking her head back, over and over...

I screamed at him "Let her alone!"

He turned and looked at me and said, "Get back inside you little bitch or you're next".

I turned and ran to the next door neighbor's house and called the cops. At that time, we had no phone of our own. Being the coward he was when I came back and told him what I had done, he ran into the woods.

He was not caught that time and I am sorry to say that my mother didn't press charges against him. He continued beating her for another 7 years, along with my brother and sister.

He never beat me because he couldn't catch me.

I was smarter than the average abuser!!!



I Remember writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Begin your non-fiction autobiographical story or poem with the words 'I remember...' Complete the sentence conveying a moment, an object, a feeling, etc. This does not have to be a profound memory, but should allow readers insight into your feelings, observations and/or thoughts. Use at least 100, but not more than 1,000 words. The count should be stated in your author notes.


My mother finally got away from this man when I was 17 years old. She never remarried and passed away at the young age of 52...I miss her very much! There are 268 words in this story.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. justafan All rights reserved.
justafan has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.