General Fiction posted April 13, 2015 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cadence and C-Daddy search for the mysterious donor.

A chapter in the book Destiny's Angel

A Strange Encounter Continues

by davisr (Rhonda)



Background
Cadence Uriel, a teacher on her way to a meeting with a possible donor, stumbles upon a stubborn homeless man who was trying to deliver a package, and who makes Cadence miss her meeting.
This is the end of the last post:

{The man was obviously eccentric, but seemed to be in control of his faculties. She pulled a small coin purse out and snapped it open, "but you can at least let me pay for your bus fare. How much is it?"

"About five dollars," he replied, "but I won't take it from you. I insist on earning my money."

"Great," Cadence sighed, snapping her purse shut. This just wasn't going to be easy, was it?}

*****

"Then maybe you can earn it by helping me find my way to a meeting I was supposed to attend about fifteen minutes ago," Cadence suggested.

"Where is it?" C-Daddy asked hesitantly, his trembling voice betraying a desire to help despite his weakened condition.

"At the end of the road," she replied, "and right beside a bus stop I saw before this crazy snowstorm started."

"I can do that," he agreed, taking her offered hand for support, and holding on tightly as they stumbled towards their goal.

"So, how did you get the name, C-Daddy?" Cadence asked, trying to make conversation.

"You'll have to ask the folks at the shelter," C-Daddy replied evasively. "There are a lot of interesting people in there, and they all have their stories."

"What is yours?" Cadence asked, not really expecting an answer.

C-Daddy seemed to be taken off-guard by her question. A flicker in his eyes betrayed his surprise, which Cadence happened to catch as he looked her way.

"Sometimes a person starts down one road and ends up travelling in quite a different direction," he said by way of explanation, "often without realizing that the road forked off at all."

"My life has done that a few times, too," she commented quietly.

For a brief, painful, moment she allowed herself to think about an incident fifteen years previous when she had been a teenage mom and chose to place her beautiful baby boy up for adoption. She didn't regret her decision as she knew that she wasn't in any condition to raise a child at the time, but there was still an aching chasm in her heart left by the black-haired child she would never raise.

"I'm sorry for whatever pain you've gone through," C-Daddy said with quick perception, "but I guess it means you understand why I'm not very trusting of strangers."

"Probably," Cadence allowed, "but I have tried not to let it define my life."

"Nor me, but I have my reasons."

"I'm sure you do," Cadence said. "So, I guess from your name that you have children?"

"We all do," he responded, waving his hand in a circular motion intending to include an indeterminate amount of people.

"I understand that. I'm a teacher."

"I sort of figured that," C-Daddy said. "You act like one. So, who is this man you are supposed to meet?"

"His name is Nick Collins," Cadence answered, pulling at her sleeve with freezing fingers to look at her watch. "He was supposed to donate money to a toy drive my students and I are sponsoring at Benjamin Franklin High School. He told me to be there at 6:00, but I'm hoping he waited on account of the weather."

"Oh, I hope I didn't mess up your plans," C-Daddy sighed, rubbing a hand across his tender scalp, and pausing in their trek down the sidewalk. "Getting gifts to children is so important this time of year."

"It wasn't your fault," Cadence said. "Whether or not he chose to wait was entirely his own decision. You certainly didn't plan to get mugged and left on the frozen ground."

"You are quite right there," C-Daddy agreed, his spinning head causing him to stumble with almost every step. "Although I'm not sure anyone ever really does, you know."

"True," Cadence agreed, holding tightly to his arm and guiding him safely forward. He wasn't heavy, really, in spite of his stature, and they began to make their careful way forward.

To her extreme relief, the image of a bus stop loomed ahead, indicating the end of the lane, and the appearance of the shop where Nick Collins was supposed to meet her.

"Looks like we are here," Cadence announced, guiding C-Daddy to a bench underneath an awning. "Just sit here and I will go find Mr. Collins."

"I can't sit and wait while you take off in the storm," he sputtered. "I insist on seeing you completely to your donor. Either I'll earn the bus money fairly or I won't take it at all."

"But you are seriously injured," Cadence protested. The older man simply folded his arms across his broad chest and raised a stubborn eyebrow.

"Oh, okay," Cadence agreed, trying to be patient. She didn't want to tell him that she could make better time without having to keep him on his feet. "Look, the store is here close-by. We will just go in and see the owner and then you can leave."

"Well, as soon as I know you are safe," C-Daddy corrected. "I already got jumped, and I don't want to see it happen to you, too."

"Of course not," Cadence agreed. She wasn't sure what C-Daddy thought he was going to do if they were to show back up. He hadn't offered much help for himself earlier.

When they reached the shop door, she noticed that it was decorated in the typical red and green of the season, complete with flashing lights and a wreath. Beneath the decoration was a unique painting that drew her attention. Even through the snow, she could see a very moving image of Santa Claus in his sleigh flying over the rooftops of Baltimore.

This Santa was a bit different from the many others gracing windows throughout the city. He was leaner, almost athletic, with ageless piercing eyes that made a person feel as though he was alive and checking each heart for naughty or niceness.

Flying above Santa was an angel of extraordinary beauty. Again, the image was not typical. This one seemed almost human, her outspread arms sheltered unsuspecting inhabitants below. Above the figures and the wreath, painted in sparkling silver and gold paint, was the name of the store, "Destiny's Angel".

There was the faint aroma of spiced apple cider and warm cupcakes easing through cracks in the door. Cadence touched the glass, almost reverently, and find it warm and welcoming. For a moment, she didn't feel quite as cold and anxious. Peering through the door, she could barely make out the small glow of a candle, and nothing else. She tentatively pressed down on the handle, but It wouldn't budge.

"It doesn't look like anyone is there," C-Daddy observed after Cadence stepped back in frustration. He leaned weakly against the warm door. He reached out and took her hand.

"I'm sorry," he said, giving it a gentle squeeze.

Cadence looked down and noticed that his hand and knuckles were as bruised as his face. Apparently he had fought back against his attackers. As he was a large man, Cadence couldn't help but wonder what damage he had meted out on the muggers.

"Oh, well, it happens," she sighed, turning loose of his hand and bouncing back down onto her heels.

"Yeah, it looks like it happened to both of us," C-Daddy commented as they made their way carefully back to the bus stop bench.

"It sure does," Cadence nodded. "Who was the man you were supposed to deliver the package to, anyway? It would be funny if it was the same person I was supposed to meet."

"You know, I don't quite remember his name," C-Daddy admitted. "My head is a bit foggy on the details after taking a few shots back there, but he was supposed to meet me at the end of the street. Maybe it was the same guy, like you said. If so, it's been as bad a day for him as it has been for us."

"Good point," Cadence chuckled. "If you are having problems with your memory, do you remember where you live?"

"Yes, that I do," he nodded, sitting down now on the bench. "I'm banged up and sore, but my homing device is still intact."

"Good," Cadence said, handing him a five dollar bill and a card from her purse with her phone number etched on the front beneath the words, "Representative of Benjamin Franklin High School". It was the one she gave out to potential donors for all the drives she and the Student Council ran. "Call me when you can and let me know how you are."

"I will indeed, little lady," C-Daddy nodded, taking both. "But just so you know, I still owe you for the money. I might not be able to help you like I want right now, but I will someday, and you have my promise on that."

"I'll take it," Cadence agreed shaking the tall man's trembling hand, and turning back down the lane to return to her car.

Cadence walked this time with her back to the wind, which had died down considerably. It wasn't long before she passed a Santa ringing a bell, perhaps the only other person not afraid to brave nature's unprecedented onslaught. She walked over and dropped some change in his bucket. He smiled in surprise and wished her a, "Very Merry Christmas", after which she replied in turn.




A special thanks to delenaloyd for her artwork, Snow Storm Brewing


This is a fantasy novella about a high school chemistry teacher who is also the sponsor of the Student Council at Benjamin Franklin High School in inner city Baltimore. She and her officers receive an offer of a huge sum of money that will help her group fulfill the Christmas dreams of many of the kids in the area. Through a series of adventures, they finally have a show down with a group of gods who are trying to take over the world by sowing hate and despair.

Baltimore .....Setting of most of the story
Ellicott City ..... A quaint shopping district outside Baltimore where part of the story takes place
Benjamin Franklin High School .....School Cadence where Cadence teaches
Destiny's Angel ..... Store in Ellicott City owned by Nick Collins
Time and Time Again ..... Charles' store next door to Destiny's Angel
American Rescue Workers .....Shelter where C-Daddy lives

Serpents ..... Bad Guys made up of gods and humans
Henry/Hypnos .....Twin of Thantos: one of the bad gods - god of hypnosis and sleep
Bram/Thantos ..... Twin of Hypnos: one of the bad gods - god of death
Ares: Evil sister goddess

C-Daddy ..... Homeless man who ends up being at the center of the adventure
Nick Collins ..... Mysterious Angel Donor. Owns store, "Destiny's Angel"
Charles ..... Nick's son
Alvin ..... Young man who works at the mall
Barkley: Cab driver

Cadence Uriel ..... 30 year old Chemistry teacher
Shanice ..... Student Council president
Leonardo (Leo) ..... Student Council Vice President
Mia ..... Student Council Secretary
Sarah ..... Student Council Treasurer
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.