Fantasy Science Fiction posted April 12, 2015 Chapters: -1- 2... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cadence Uriel sets off to find a mysterious Angel Donor.

A chapter in the book Destiny's Angel

A Strange Encounter

by davisr (Rhonda)


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.


Background
This is the first chapter in the book, Destiny's Angel. It begins with Cadence Uriel experiencing an unusual encounter with a homeless man as she tries to get to a meeting on time.
I am revising and completing a novel I began on this site last year. Some or much will be changed as I've learned much from my FanStory friends. I am re-posting the beginning chapters since I'm making changes. New ones will follow where I left off. Thank you for reading (again).

The story begins:

Cadence Uriel heard distinct sounds of a fight. There were angry cries, the thudding of fists on flesh, and responding groans of pain. She couldn't see much due to an unexpected snowstorm, but could tell by the shouting voices there were at least three or four combatants. With more reaction than forethought, she sprang into full teacher mode, her voice piercing the storm.

"What's going on here?"

She might as well have said, "Don't make me have to call a principal," because it elicited the same conditioned response.

There were a few more thrown punches, pride always called for that, and then rapidly retreating footsteps.

"Yeah, I thought so," Cadence said, and then added in a grumble, "Why is it that even a blizzard is incapable of curbing mankind's baser nature?"

Before going much further, she stumbled across the groaning figure of a man on the sidewalk.

"Oh my gosh," she said, and knelt and touched him on the shoulder. "Are you okay?"

Another moan, inaudible, yet insistent. Cadence shook his arm.

"Can you hear me?"

"Yes."

"Are you okay?"

"No."

"You sound like you're in pain. What happened?"

"I... was... robbed."

"Oh man, uh... let me call the police." Cadence pulled her cell phone from her pocket.

"No, no, just help me to my feet and let me go my way. I don't do cops."

"But you clearly need help. I can see you're bruised and bleeding. At least let me call for an ambulance."

"I know you are trying to help, but, please, put away your phone."

"Okay," Cadence said, "but it goes against my better nature."

"I know. Just help me up. I appreciate you stopping. Many would have walked past in this terrible storm."

"I'm just glad I saw you. Here, take my hand."

Cadence put her phone away and reached out to the old man. She braced her feet as best she could on the slippery sidewalk and they struggled upwards. It wasn't an easy task, but eventually they both ended up vertical.

"Thank you, again, young lady," the man said. He put out a hand and braced himself against the wall.

"You are quite welcome."

Cadence looked upward at a very tall, very solidly built man. Even through swirling snow, she could tell he had strong features in a wizened face. His head was covered with a green knitted cap that had been knocked askew by his recent fight, and black curly hair mixed with gray spilled out.

"Can I help you find your car?" Cadence offered.

"I don't have one. I came by bus."

"Then let me help you to the bus stop."

"It's too late."

"What do you mean, it's only 6:15? I'm sure there will be another bus soon."

"That's not what I mean." The man hesitated as though picking his words carefully. "I was supposed to meet a man down the street who was going to give me money for a package I was delivering."

"Then let's find him and give it to him," Cadence said. She shivered as she pulled her coat tightly against the blasts of wind and snow.

She was cold and had been since she parked her yellow Volkswagen Beetle beside the road on Main Street in Ellicott City. She had been heading to a store located on the corner of Maryland Avenue. She had an appointment at six o'clock with an investor who had promised to make a generous donation to her school's toy drive.

When she first arrived in town, there was a gentle powdering of snowflakes that kissed her nose and cheeks like so many snow fairies. They tantalized her senses, and invoked poignant seasonal memories, but with each step she took towards her goal, the more intense and angry the snowstorm grew. Now, standing there with a stranger, it was all she could do to see two inches in front of her.

"I can't give the package to him, I don't have it," the man said, shivering visibly. "Those jerks who jumped me took it with them when they ran. Man, they hit me pretty hard. I don't usually go down that easily."

"I'm sure you don't," Cadence said. "What's your name?"

"I've had several over the years," he said, "but at the shelter, they call me, C-Daddy."

"C-Daddy?"

"It's a long story."

"I'm sure it is. Well, C-Daddy, how about if I drive you to the hospital myself? They have to treat you whether you have the money to pay or not."

"No, thank you. As I said, I'm happy you stopped to help, and I appreciate the concern, but I really don't need your help. I don't like doctors any more than I do police or ambulances."

"They ask too many questions?"

"No, they don't know what they're doing."

"Right... " Cadence shook her head and pulled out a small coin purse. With an audible snap, she opened it. "You can at least let me pay for your bus fare. How much is it?"

"Two dollars and forty five cents with my senior discount," he said, "but I won't take it from you. I insist on earning my money."

"Great." Cadence sighed and snapped her purse shut. "You aren't going to make this easy, are you?"
 




A special thanks for the artwork, "Ice Queen" by angelina onofrio


This is a fantasy novel about a high school chemistry teacher who is also the sponsor of the Student Council at Benjamin Franklin High School in inner city Baltimore. She and her officers receive an offer of a substantial sum of money earmarked to help her group fulfill Christmas dreams. Fighting against a group of immortals who are trying to take over the world by sowing hate and despair, they seek to reach their protect their vision of hope.

Baltimore .....Setting of most of the story
Ellicott City ..... A quaint shopping district outside Baltimore where part of the story takes place
Benjamin Franklin High School .....School Cadence where Cadence teaches
Destiny's Angel ..... Store in Ellicott City owned by Nick Collins
Time and Time Again ..... Charles' store next door to Destiny's Angel
American Rescue Workers .....Shelter where C-Daddy lives

Serpents ..... Bad Guys made up of gods and humans
Henry/Hypnos .....Twin of Thantos: one of the bad gods - god of hypnosis and sleep
Bram/Thantos ..... Twin of Hypnos: one of the bad gods - god of death
Ares: Evil sister goddess

C-Daddy ..... Homeless man who ends up being at the center of the adventure
Nick Collins ..... Mysterious Angel Donor. Owns store, "Destiny's Angel"
Charles ..... Nick's son
Alvin ..... Young man who works at the mall
Barkley: Cab driver

Cadence Uriel ..... 30 year old Chemistry teacher
Shanice ..... Student Council president
Leonardo (Leo) ..... Student Council Vice President
Mia ..... Student Council Secretary
Sarah ..... Student Council Treasurer


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.