Romance Fiction posted April 12, 2015 Chapters:  ...39 40 -41- 42... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The lawyer arrives.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Catorce; Part Cuatro

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Soni removed her cell phone. "I'm calling our lawyer."

"You'd better ask if he can recommend a good criminal lawyer," said Jim.

"My Grandfather is NOT a criminal." Soni turned her back to Jim and continued her call.

Jim used his cell to make a call.

As Soni put her phone away, she stood face to face with the head agent. "You need to call off your men until Grandfather's lawyer arrives. He wants to see both warrants."

TODAY'S POST:

Soni stood and waited for the lead agent to respond. When he didn't, she said, "Your warrants aren't any good here. Call the men off. Grandfather's lawyer is on his way."

The moment Soni finished talking; the man's cell phone rang. She listened as he did. She heard mumbling but couldn't make out the words. Soni watched as he put the phone away and said, "Men, stand down. We need to wait for further instructions."

Jim looked out the front door. Soni walked over to him and asked, "You appear to have some inside information. Does it have something to do with your phone call and this call?

After shrugging his shoulders, Jim's eyes met Soni's. "I don't know what you're talking about. My mother called to check on me because she hadn't heard from me for a little over a week." He walked away.

He knows more than he's telling me.

Kuruk stood beside his granddaughter. "Let it go, my child."

"How can you remain so calm?"

"I'm innocent." Kuruk smiled.

"I know that, but sometimes..."

"Naiyenesgani will take care of me." Kuruk kissed her cheek. "Sonsee-array, have you doubts?"

"No. I know the Great Creator will take care of us, but ..."

Grandfather interrupted, "There aren't any buts, my child."

An uncomfortable silence filled the air, as everybody stood around and waited.

Tatiana nodded to Soni, who nodded back, and then said to Grandfather, "I need to help Tatiana in the kitchen. We'll supply sandwiches."

Kuruk smiled approval. "Shoodii tsiyiiltsego dayadee ntooe tsidiitse doodago ntooeii. Tsiiltse shii shoodii tsiiltsego ge miichi keshdiidlii kadndin mee. Keshdiidliigo ntooe nowochigo ayiile."

It's very bad to see or hear a coyote. If you should see or hear one, pray to him with an offering of pollen. Praying to him will make the evil go away. Yes, Grandfather, I understand.

*****
About an hour after the snacks were served, Gray Garrison arrived. He walked up to Kuruk and shook his hand. "It's a pleasure to represent a man of your stature. Let's begin. Where are those warrants?"

Soni handed them to Mr. Garrison. He was pointed to a comfortable chair, accepted a cup of coffee, and gave Jim a quick nod.

The agent-in-charge wiped his brow.

"I'm not as young as I once was." Gray chuckled as he removed his reading glasses from his shirt's front pocket. "The type on these warrants is mighty small. I wouldn't want to miss anything." He ritually placed the glasses in position and smoothed the warrants before beginning to read.

Again, silence filled the room as everyone waited for Mr. Garrison to finish reading. Jim walked out the front door and stood on the porch. Soni watched. I wonder what he's up to now.

Soon Jim came back inside, went into his room, and walked back outside holding something black in his hand.

This time Soni followed. "What are you doing?"

Jim glanced at the sky, waited, and then pointed. "See that helicopter?"

"I do." Soni shielded her eyes from the noon sun's glare. "Helicopters go over us all the time. They're looking for speeders on I35 and immigrants crossing."

"This one's spending time checking out something or someone north west of here." Jim put the binoculars to his eyes and stared.

"What do you see? Let me look."

Jim handed her the binoculars. "About a thousand yards that way looks like about eight men on horseback."

"It's awfully small, but I think you're right."

"Do you recognize them?"

"I don't think so. It's hard to tell for sure. That one horse looks like a pinto. I don't know anybody who rides one. What are they doing there?"

"I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it's not good."

"I think I'll take a ride and ask?"

"Not now. We'll track them later."






Recognized


Thank you google images for a coyote. I'm sorry I didn't get posted last week. My oldest son and his family are PCSing to Germany. I spent Easter with my youngest grandchild. She's two and extremely busy. I loved every second of it. I really appreciate the reviews and assistance you give me. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.