Humor Fiction posted March 29, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
total confusion

Journeys and Mind Trips

by Cindy Warren

Jose searched the airport, looking for the family he'd be staying with. An exchange student from Mexico, this was his first time in such a big and busy place. He'd been nervous already, and now he was getting scared. He considered turning around and getting back on the plane. Was it even possible to do that? He was beginning to panic when he spotted a boy about his own age, waving a sign with his name on it.

"You Jose?" the boy asked.

"Yes."

"You look a little surprised to see me. My folks were supposed to pick you up, but there's been a bit of an emergency. I'm Russ. Let's get your luggage to the car and then we can talk."

Jose's nerves began to settle. Now that he was no longer alone in this imposing place, he feIt much better, and it was nice having someone his own age to talk to. The boys collected Jose's rather battered luggage and loaded it into the car.

"I'm sorry I arrived when you have an emergency," said Jose.

"Don't worry about it. Great Uncle Saul ain't had all his players on the field in years. This morning the home where he lives called Dad. Seems the ones he has left ain't in their right positions today."

Jose was impressed. His new friend's uncle was a great man with a sports team. Jose could hardly contain his excitement at the prospect of meeting him.

"I hope you don't mind, but we have to stop and check on my grandma on the way home. She's Uncle Saul's sister. He's always been a few bricks short of a load, but she was always as sharp as a tack. Last couple of months, though, her elevator ain't going all the way to the top. Mom thinks she's on a one way trip to Lala land. But don't worry, she still has most of her marbles."

"Why would your uncle cheat people?"

"What? I didn't say that! Where did you get that idea?" Russ asked.

"Why didn't he deliver the full load of bricks?"

"Oh," Russ said, laughing. "It's just an expression. It means he doesn't always have his wits about him. There are no bricks."

"Oh. Maybe he's worried because his players aren't on the field."

"That must be it."

Jose suddenly had the feeling he'd said something wrong. Russ must really be worried about his uncle. He decided it was best to change the subject.

"How do you ever find your way around? I don't know how I'm going to keep myself from getting lost."

"I think you got that right," Russ muttered as he pulled into the underground parking below his grandmother's apartment.

Jose had never seen anything like it. "There are three floors just for parking?"

"Of course. What did you expect? Don't they have cars where you came from?"

"I don't think there are this many in the whole town," said Jose. Secretly he wondered how they were ever going to find it again. "We just park them on the road."

"There'd be no room to drive if we did that here," said Russ. "Come on, let's get this over with."

Jose followed Russ to the elevator. An elevator in a parking lot was something new to him, a fact he decided was best kept to himself. He stepped in behind Russ and watched him press the button for the ninth floor. He decided that since she didn't live at the top, it didn't matter if the elevator didn't go all the way up. Briefly he wondered if anyone lived up there.

"Grandma, this is Jose. He's going to be staying with us for a while," said Russ.

"I'm very happy to meet you, Madam," said Jose. "I've never met a grandmother who liked to play marbles before." Then, seeing her confused look, he added "Russ says you still have them."

The old woman burst out laughing. "I'm so glad you think so, Russ," she said.

Between the grandmother's laughter and the horrified look on Russ's face, Jose was totally confused. "Did I say something wrong? I study very hard to learn English, but sometimes I don't understand."

"It's ok, Jose," said Grandma. "It's very good to know my grandson doesn't think I've lost my marbles."

"Sometimes I get confused," said Jose. "Russ said you had marbles and you were sharp as a tack. I didn't know what he meant."

Russ glared at him, but Grandma looked pleased. Jose couldn't have been more confused.

"Where's your mother today?" asked Grandma.

"She went with Dad to see Uncle Saul," said Russ.

"Uncle Saul's players weren't all on the field today, and they weren't in their correct positions, so Russ picked me up at the airport so they could help him," said Jose.

Grandma looked slightly confused for a moment, then smiled. "I haven't heard it put quite like that before. The poor man does have his problems.

"I have to get Jose home so he can unpack," said Russ. "We just stopped by to say hi."

"Thanks for stopping by, and thank you, Russ. I know some people in this family think my gears are slipping, and your vote of confidence means the world to me."

"Madam, please don't travel if your gears are slipping," said Jose. "Russ said you were taking a trip. Let me fix those gears before you go. I'm very good at fixing cars."

"I don't know how you found out about the trip," said Grandma. "I didn't say anything because I didn't want anyone trying to stop me. Jose, you needn't worry. I'll be taking a taxi to the airport and getting on an airplane."

"Where will you go?" asked Russ.

"I'm taking an African safari."

"I hope you will enjoy your trip," said Jose as Russ shoved him out the door.

Later, seated around the dinner table, Russ shared the details of his visit with Grandma with his parents.

"There's no way she can go to Africa alone," said Mom, looking directly at Russ.

"No! No way!"

end of part one









Recognized


What do you think? Does this deserve a part two? Should I send these two boys to Africa with a slightly loopy Grandma?
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Cindy Warren All rights reserved.
Cindy Warren has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.