Romance Fiction posted March 29, 2015 Chapters:  ...38 39 -40- 41... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Feds arrest Grandfather.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Catorce; Part Tres

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"It's ridiculous. I can't believe it's happening." Soni watched Butkus, Goliath, Mack, and Diego stand and stalk to the front door. "What's wrong, boys?"

The hair on the dogs' back bristled as a thump was heard on the door, and then a voice, "This is Homeland Security. We're Federal Agents. We have the house surrounded. Slowly open the door and come out with your hands up."

"What the shit!" Jim threw his napkin on his plate. "This is harassment!"

TODAY'S POST:

Alex cautiously opened the door and stepped out with his hands raised to his shoulders. "What's the problem?"

Jim brushed Alex aside. His hands were by his side. "There aren't any fugitives inside. Where's the warrant?" As he glanced at the weapons aimed in his direction, Jim reluctantly raised hands. "This is ridiculous."

The four large dogs preceded Tatiana and Soni. Their lips were raised, showing their teeth and the hair on their backs were still bristled as they growled.

"Lady, call off your dogs or I'll shoot them!" yelled a tall older man apparently in charge.

Soni motioned with her arm and the dogs lay on the porch beside her. Even though they were lying down, they were still alert and prepared to attack.

With her hands shielding her eyes from the Eastern morning glare, Soni said, "I'm the owner of the Rockin' A. Why don't you come inside? We can discuss this as civilized humans." She glanced at the horse stables and noticed they were also surrounded by Federal agents. "What do you expect to find? We have nothing to hide."

"There's another person inside the house. Come out!" called the agent-in-charge.

As Kuruk stepped from the house, three armed agents, holding weapons at the ready position, ran to him. One of them grabbed Kuruk's wrists and started to handcuff him. "What's the meaning of this?" asked the elderly Lipan Apache. "I've done nothing wrong."

"You're under arrest for the murder of Robert Hughes," said the agent-in-charge. He held the arrest warrant in front of Kuruk.

"Mr. Hughes is dead? He can't be. We talked last night." Kuruk's eyes widened.

"Don't say anymore," advised Jim.

"Grandfather didn't kill anybody. He isn't capable of hurting anyone."

Two agents stepped closer to Soni.

"Why are you accusing Kuruk of this?" Jim glared eye-to-eye with the head agent.

"Hughes had one of Kuruk's throwing knives in his back."

"That's impossible." Kuruk stood firm.

"We already know how many competitions you've won with your skills and the knife used was one of your homemade specialties. It had the carved bear head on the handle." The agent handed Soni a piece of paper. "Here's a warrant for a property search." He motioned for the men to enter the house.

"There'll find nothing." Kuruk's eyes met the agent's. "Leave my granddaughter out of this."

"Can't, old man. You'd do anything to protect your granddaughter. It's your motive for murdering Hughes. I'm sure she'd do anything for you." The agent-in-charge started reading Kuruk his rights, using Kuruk's full name and title: Chief Kuruk Four-Bear.

"Ms. Adler, give me the key to the gun cabinet or we'll break the glass," said a shorter agent.

"My grandfather Adler built that cabinet. Some of those guns date back to 1845. You said Hughes died from a knife not a gun."

Soni removed her cell phone. "I'm calling our lawyer."

"You'd better ask if he can recommend a good criminal lawyer," said Jim.

"My Grandfather is NOT a criminal." Soni turned her back to Jim and continued her call.

Jim used his cell to make a call.

As Soni put her phone away, she stood face to face with the head agent. "You need to call off your men until Grandfather's lawyer arrives. He wants to see both warrants."





Recognized


Thank you google images for a gun cabinet; maybe like the one in Soni's ranch style home. I really appreciate the reviews and assistance you give me. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.