General Fiction posted March 26, 2015


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Seeing a parent in an unfavorable light.,

Unpleasant revelation (391 words)

by DALLAS01

I don't know why I always have to answer the door. Now, if I'm not ready on time, Momma will be yelling at me again, and it's all her fault.

"For God's sake, who is it Amanda?" A high-pitched voice bounces down the staircase.

Oh boy, sounds like she's in another really bad mood. "It's Mr. Reed from next door, Momma."

"What the hell does he want? I'm trying to get dressed, and we're running late."

"He says he has your petition ready, whatever that is!"

Mr. Reed shifts back and forth like he has to pee or something. That's okay, Amanda. Just give it to her. She's not going to be any too happy about it. We only got about ten signatures in a four block area."

"What's a petition, Mr. Reed?"

Mr. Reed cleared his voice. " Well, young lady. It's when a bunch of people get together and make their voices heard by signing their name to a piece of paper, like this one, in order to keep undesirables from moving into the neighborhood."

"What's undesirable?"

" Oh, you know. Someone who doesn't look like the rest of us. Someone who doesn't exactly blend in. Take the Jefferson's, for instance; the ones who live next door to your grandparents up on Cherry Hill."

"You mean Uncle Ezra and Aunt Clady?"

Mr. Reed looked like his eyes were going to pop out of their sockets. "They aren't your Aunt and Uncle, Amanda. You shouldn't be calling them that."

"But they are my best friends. And Gramps and Nanna don't care." Pretty soon I will get to see them every day. They are going to buy the Jenson's house across the Street."

Mr. Reed shook his head. " Not if your mom has anything to do with it, they're not."

"I think you ought to go home now, Mr. Reed."

My stomach was churning as I slammed the door behind him.

"Amanda," Mom appeared out of nowhere. When she put her arms around my shoulder, I flinched.

"Hurry on upstairs now and put your good coat on." All of a sudden her soft momma's smile turned into an ugly, unfamiliar smirk. "When we enter the Lord's house, we must look our best."

"We might want to pass this Sunday, Momma. The sermon is going to be love your neighbor."








 



Through the eyes of a child writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short story (100-500 words). The story must include a child's perspective of an object or situation. The story may be told from the viewpoint of the child, or an adult.


Thanks to angel 4451 for the artwork.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. DALLAS01 All rights reserved.
DALLAS01 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.