Family Flash Fiction posted March 26, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
How does a child see rejection?

Bitten

by RodG


"Crybaby!"

"Lilly, that's enough!  You bit him and it hurts.  Can't you see that?"

It wasn't 'sposed  to hurt.  Just a love bite like Tally Cat gives me when she wants attention.

"And don't you think it's time you told Ricky you're sorry?"

Why's Miss Cannon looking at me so mean?  Where'd her smile go?  She--she looks like Mommy.  Is she going to slap me, too?

"Well?"

"i--I'm not sorry."

Her mean look went away, but I don't think she likes me anymore.  Her mouth's open . . . like Ricky's.  And he hates me.

"Lilly, explain . . . to both of us."

I can't.  If I do, I'll cry.  Then you'll slap me.  Like Mommy who hates crybabies.

"What did I ever do to you, Lilly Cisek?  You're a bully!"

"No, I'm not.  I'm nice.  I really am.  Why can't--?"

"Oh, Lilly.  Come here, honey.  Don't you cry, too.  I only have two arms."

Ohhh . . . she's hugging me!  And she's smiling again!

"So why did you bite, Ricky?  Can you tell us now?"

"Be--because he didn't send me one."

"What, Lilly?"

"A valentine.  I made him a big one."

When Mommy was sleeping.  She hates anything lovey since Daddy left us.

"Ricky, our class agreed each of us would send everyone a valentine, or there would be no party.  Did you break your promise?"

He did!  He did!  He can't even look at me.

"Well, young man, I think you should apologize, too.  Don't you?"

"Y--yes.  I'm sorry, Lilly.  I really like you . . . a lot.  But if I had given you a--a valentine, the guys would have laughed me off the playground."

He--he likes me!  A lot!

"And you, young lady.  What do you want to say?"

"I--I'm sorry, Ricky.  And that was a love bite 'cause I like you . . . lots."

Why is Miss Cannon grinning that way . . . and Ricky, too?



Through the eyes of a child writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short story (100-500 words). The story must include a child's perspective of an object or situation. The story may be told from the viewpoint of the child, or an adult.


The clip-art is courtesy of Google images.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. RodG All rights reserved.
RodG has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.