Romance Fiction posted March 19, 2015 Chapters:  ...36 37 -38- 39... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Soni and Jim arrive at the ranch.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Catorce; Part Uno

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"I'll get some firewood." Jim turned, but when Soni placed her hand on his arm, he paused and asked, "What's wrong?"

"I don't know. We need to leave, now!" As Soni mounted her horse, she whistled for the dogs to return. They came running.

Jim followed. "Care to fill me in?"

"I can't. I don't know. It's a gut feeling." Soni hesitated. "Something isn't right, but I don't know who or where."

TODAY'S POST:


CHAPTER FOURTEEN


As Soni and Jim stopped at the stables of the Rockin' A ranch, the house front door swung open. Alex and Tatiana hurried out to welcome their return. The older couple were followed by Mack and Diego. Diego wagged his tail and limped to Midnight. The large stallion and the German Shepard noses nuzzled together. Soni dismounted, hugged Midnight, and petted Diego's head. "I'm glad you're feeling better." She glanced at the knife wound. "You're healing fast. It won't be long before you're protecting the horses again."

Tatiana hugged Soni. "I'm glad you're home. Are you hungry?"

"I just want a long hot bath."

Jim dismounted. "I'm hungry. Once Soni got it in her head to come home, she didn't stop. Her version of resting the horses was to go at a slower pace."

Gus stood beside Alex, but turned to Soni. "Welcome back. I'll bed down the horses." He took all the reins. "Any plans to keep Midnight safe?"

"Soni, The 7 Lobos Ranch asked to use Midnight for stud service. I thought we might hide him there for a while." Alex rubbed the stallion's neck.

"That's over by the Louisiana border, isn't it?" Soni hit her hat against her thigh. "I'll let you know in the morning." She walked off by herself and stared at the stars. Grandfather, I'm home. What did you want to tell me? She paused and watched a falling star. Yes, Grandfather, I'll wait 'til morning.

Tatiana walked to Soni and put her arms around her shoulders. "Come inside, dear. Gus and Alex are taking care of the horses."

Soni nodded and walked toward the house with Tatiana. Butkus, Goliath, Mack, and Diego followed. Jim trailed behind the dogs.

*****
Inside the ranch house, Tatiana went straight to the kitchen. "Jim, give me ten minutes and you'll have something to eat. Soni, are you sure you don't want anything?"

"I'm sure. All I need is a bubble bath." Soni went to her room.

While sitting at the table, Jim told Alex about the young Mexican lady and her baby they'd rescued. "Soni wants to hire them to help out around the house."

"That sounds like Soni." Tatiana continued, "I could use some help."

"I'm pretty sure the Sinaloa Cartel murdered her husband and left them to die. If Soni helps them, she could bring the cartel after her."

"Soni will do what she thinks is right. She won't worry about the danger it might cause. How will the cartel know they survived the desert?" Alex picked up his lemonade glass and took a drink.

"Only if somebody tells them. It seems you have a leak of information leaving here." Jim took another bite of turkey sandwich.

"I wish I knew who it was. I'd sure put an end to it."

Jim set the sandwich on his plate. "On the trail, Soni accused me. I guarantee it's not me."

Tatiana stepped into the dining room. "I know it's not you. I can feel it in my bones. It's somebody evil."

"I agree with my wife. Whoever this is, he, or maybe it's a she, is pure evil."



Recognized


Thank you google images for an example of the Texas stars. I really appreciate the reviews and assistance you give me. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.