Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted March 3, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
word count 175

Haibun (the sun continues)

by michaelcahill



the sun continues
burning even as it sets
metaphor
 
She's pregnant and stumbling towards the sliding doors. Emergency! Yes, the oxygen tank's near empty. Priority is given to new life. Dead bodies are everywhere. The emergency room is full but it isn't busy. A lone masked attendant staggers forward. He escorts her to the hyperbolic chamber. She reclines and it is sealed. Oxygen flows in, the last of the oxygen. The attendant breathes his last.
 
A man swings a sledgehammer smashing the glass of chamber after chamber. The occupants quickly succumb to the toxic air. His own air tank runs dry and he dies. One chamber remains, containing the pregnant woman. She and her baby are all that remains of humanity. One question remains: Will the mother outlive the child or will the child outlive the mother.
 
Earth spins
in peaceful orbit
man's not missed
 
 
As she died, the pregnant woman daydreamed: A barren blue planet spins around a dwarf star. An emergency room in a hospital houses evidence there was once life.


 



Haibun Style Mixed Prose/Poetry writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Please write a mixture of prose and poetry on the theme of A SINGLE DAY in an 'ACCIDENT & EMERGENCY' HOSPITAL DEPARTMENT.

Terse fragmented prose is preferred, with as little word wastage as possible.

You MUST include at least TWO 3-lined senryu (up to seventeen syllables in each) that reflect the theme and blend into the story.

NO ARTWORK OR SOUND EFFECTS.

NO AUTHOR NOTES.

MIN 150, MAX 250 WORDS.

'DEFINITION' ABOVE TITLE MUST INCLUDE A CLEARLY VISIBLE WORD COUNT, BUT NOTHING ELSE.

BLACK TYPE ON WHITE BACKGROUND ONLY.


Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.