General Fiction posted March 2, 2015


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The doorbell looks like the death knell.

The Doorbell or The Death Knell!

by RPSaxena


“The silence, filled with hope, was shattered by the doorbell's long and earsplitting sound, Tring…Tring…Tri…………ng!”

John, with tearful eyes, narrated to his old friend, how his house's doorbell had become the death knell for his happy life and wife. It happened four years ago, but that forenoon's tragic incident seemed to have stuck fast to his memory.

Last Sunday John was roaming on the beach, facing Swami Vivekananda Memorial in India. It was a pleasant dusk with colorful sky. While he was walking engrossed in sweet memories of his pleasant time, he felt somebody affectionately patting his right shoulder. At once he stopped, turned back and saw his childhood close friend.

John gave the man a bear hug and smiled. "Hey, Raja," he said, "What a pleasant surprise!"

“Yes, I wanted to give you a surprise, for I was expecting you here on Sunday,as usual,"  ardently embracing him, he said.
 
“But, where have you been for such a long time? No message and not any information of your whereabouts, why?”  John asked.

 “All of a sudden, I had to go to Dubai with some pieces of my company’s work. It was a small project for a few days, but I had to stay there for five years and returned only some days back. Several times I tried to contact you, but all in vain.” Raja said, looking into his eyes.

Seeing John’s shabby condition, Raju was shocked and said, " But, what is this?” 

“What has happened to you? Where is ‘Bhabhi’, I mean your sweetheart?” casting a worried glance from head to feet at him, Raju uttered.

“Wait, wait, my friend; relax for a while; so many questions in a breath?” John spoke, trying to make the atmosphere congenial. 

“No, No!,” he continued, “Don’t try to evade my questions. I met both of you at this spot just about five years ago. I found you quite hale and hearty with your wife. You were often seen together, almost everywhere, but today you are alone and in such a melancholy mood. There is certainly something which you are concealing from me.” 

Holding him with the right hand, Raju took him to a somewhat secluded spot. When both the friends had sat down on the beach, Raja took a water-bottle out of his bag and gave it to him.  Both of them drank some water and felt sufficiently relaxed.

"Yes, brave, warrior!" coaxing him to speak, Raju said, “Now tell me in detail. We have been close friends since our childhood. Both of us know each other’s family very well. Nothing and never anything was hidden between us. I am familiar with your cunning brothers and their wives. As usual, they must have taken some undue advantage of your generosity.”

Making unsuccessful attempts to hide his tears, John began to disclose the whole story, “I had been on the north-western border of India since late nineties. My wife and children lived in our parental house on the outskirts of Chennai. My three brothers and their families also lived there, as you know.”

“Yes, yes, carry on,” Raju encouraged him.

“Whenever I came home on leave”, he continued, “I often remained busy with my family problems such as children’s studies, jobs and marriages etc. I never bothered about parental fields, gardens and palatial house. I only gave monetary help or my due share to my brothers for such things when I was asked to do so."

He  paused for a moment and went on, "I got voluntary retirement from the army in 2008 and with it I got all of my due money also. I and my wife were very happy. Our children were well settled and enjoying their lives. We also sometimes went to stay with them. 

We often went to religious places or the places of natural beauty. Days, months and years were passing smoothly, bestowing on us all the desired happiness in life.”

While narrating the story, John got a little emotional. Soon Raja came to his help and comforted him.

“No, no. It’s Okay.” John tried to be normal and then said, “It was about 10.30 am on 8 March, 2011. There was pin-drop silence in our portion of the house. Having taken breakfast, I was relaxing with closed eyes on the bed in my room. Lots of pleasant thoughts were passing on my mental screen such as the money, the borrowers had promised to return by that time; plans of going to worth seeing places of India and the world; equal distribution of my present and would-be wealth amongst the children. Above all, I was hoping for my sweet dreams to be materialized very soon.  

Both of us were absolutely satisfied with our life and enjoying the heavenly pleasures on this earth.”

“Alas!” John paused for some moments and then continued, “During those serene moments, the doorbell rang - Tring……Tring……Tri…………….ng!” 

He couldn’t control himself and started crying like a toddler. At once, Raja took him in his arms and began to console him. 

“Okay! My Friend,” collecting himself, John related the climax of this tragic story, “Hearing the sound of doorbell, I hurriedly went to the main door and opened it. I saw my seventy-year-old eldest brother standing there. Quite strange and unexpected! 

My intuition started hinting at some bad omen because he had been a self-centered person and never went anywhere without some ulterior motives. 

Anyways, I took him to my room, asked him to sit on the couch and feel at ease. Soon my wife also came there, greeted him, offered a glass of water, tea, some snack and went back to her room. Within a few moments, I understood that he had come to me with some specific object. Hence, without beating about the bush, I asked him the reason of his coming and he reacted promptly.

Putting a copy of all the property papers on to the center table and narrating the cooked-up story, he expressed his miserable condition and helplessness. In fact, he was trying to defend himself using the younger brothers - Hilton, Milton & their wives - as his shield. You know all of them as birds of the same feathers.”

“Yes, yes, go on,” giving him some water, Raja said.

Sipping some water and with heavy heart, John continued, “In connivance with our family lawyer, these cheaters had manipulated the documents and deprived me of every paternal thing whether it was house, land or any other valuable item. While saying ‘Sorry’, he was about to go, just then my wife entered the room and said to him: ‘Sorry, really? Please don't spoil the word - Sorry. Sir, we are extremely sad. Not because we have been cheated, but because we have been betrayed by those whom we cared more than our own lives. I have heard your each and every word.’ 

On realizing that we had been stabbed into the back so brazenly, my wife was badly shocked and fell down onto the nearby bed. Soon she slipped into coma and died the next day.”

“What!” exclaimed Raja.

“Yes, my friend,” John could hardly speak and burst into tears, saying, “All my peace, pleasures and hopes have been shattered. I am completely ruined. I have suffered an utter loss, the loss of my wife - an irreparable loss! 
Now everywhere the doorbell’s shrill sound reminds me of my everlasting devastation. The doorbell looks like the death knell! 

Likewise, a long, loud, piercing sound of the doorbell starts echoing in my mind whenever I think of my foxy brothers’ conspiracy and the tragic incident which quite unexpectedly snatched my loving and ever smiling wife from my hands.” 

Thus he, with teary eyes, completed his sad, but true story. Raja was watching him while he was looking at the sun which was gradually slipping down into the sea.

 



This Sentence Starts The Story contest entry

Recognized


The silence, filled with hope, was shattered by shrill sound of doorbell.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. RPSaxena All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
RPSaxena has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.