General Fiction posted February 28, 2015


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Fiction sentence starter contest

Sometimes Love Comes Quickly

by patcelaw




























The silence, filled with hope, was shattered by the stomping boots of soldiers. The soldiers were all excited  about the coming weekend, when they would get the first night away from the rigors of basic training. This was a time for them to see ladies at the USO club off base, to dance a few dances and hold a lovely perfumed lady. And maybe with a bit of luck there would be a sweet kiss or two.

The soldiers were all lined up to get their Friday night passes to go the dance at the USO.

The ladies of the city, close to the base knew that Friday nights were when the soldiers were allowed to go off base.  They were looking to find a clean-cut soldier with whom they might make a connection. There was a mystique in the minds of the ladies about soldiers in uniform.

After hours of talking the ladies hurried to gather at the USO to greet the soldiers. Ready for the chase and the flirting. All the ladies made sure their hair and makeup were exquisite.  The perfumes they had applied to their necks were so sweet.

As the soldiers arrived at the club, they immediately began to size up the girls. When the music started, the soldiers began to ask the ladies to dance. There were some who were rather shy and held back, not asking for a dance from any of the ladies.

Thomas Harold was one of the guys who was shy about asking for a dance.  He found the lovely clad, Nancy Pitt in the corner, she was not dancing. She was just sitting at a table alone, sipping her soft drink.

As Thomas approached Nancy, he said, "I am not a very good dancer, but I would love to sit here and talk if that would be okay with you."

Nancy smiled her prettiest smile, which radiated like a moonbeam on a beautifully clear night.
"I would love to talk with you too. My name is Nancy. What is your name?"

"Thomas, I am from the southwest desert in New Mexico and grew up on a farm."

"I grew up on a farm too, in Iowa where we grew corn. Life was good on the farm. But, I wanted to be away from the farm.  That's why after I got out of high school I moved here to  go to the small community college."

"What are you studying at the college, Nancy?"

"I am studying to become an educator and would like one day to teach children with learning disabilities."

Touched almost to the point of tears, Thomas said, "Nancy, that is so wonderful that you want to be a teacher for these children. I have a brother who is autistic and he needs an understanding teacher like you."

Just as the evening was drawing to an end.  Nancy and Thomas exchanged e-mail addresses so they could stay in touch.

Even though they never danced that evening their hearts were dancing with the joy of the young, who have just found a possible mate. Love can come so quickly.

Thomas and Nancy e-mailed as time allowed. Thomas had three more weeks to complete his basic training.  He would soon receive orders to go somewhere else.

On the day of his graduation, Nancy met Thomas and they had a pleasant dinner that evening. They talked at length about their feelings for each other.

Thomas said, "Nancy, I really think I have fallen in love with you. I am not sure where I will be stationed yet but, I do not want to lose you. You are just the kind of lady I have always dreamed of marrying one day."

Lowering himself to one knee Thomas said, "will you marry me?"

Without even pausing Nancy grinned and said, "My dear, Thomas, you are the kind of man I have always dreamed of being married to, so yes, I will marry you"

When Thomas received his orders, they were for a base in Hawaii. He was excited about where he would be stationed, but knew it was not possible for Nancy to travel there to be with him.

Thomas called Nancy, so they could decide when they would marry. Since Thomas didn't have to be to the base in Hawaii for two more weeks, they hurriedly put together a wedding for the following weekend.

It was not the big wedding Nancy had once dreamed of, but this one thing she knew, this  indeed was the man she should marry.

After they were married, Nancy arranged to have her school credits transferred to a college in Hawaii.

Thomas went ahead of Nancy to his station in the islands. While she completed the final six weeks of her second year in college.

In July, Nancy flew to Hawaii to be with Thomas to settle into their life as newlyweds.

Nancy finished her education and got her degree so she could become the teacher which she so long desired.

With the demands of their jobs, they would spend weekends walking the sandy beaches, holding hands and enjoying being with each other. The rolling surf showered them with salty spray.  The smells of the ocean delighted their senses.  Often they would stop to look at all the beauty of this wonderful place and steal a kiss. 

Nancy so loved her work at the public school teaching the special ed classes and found her work very rewarding.  Since her brother-in-law was autistic, Nancy was especially patient with her autistic students and was often heard praising them for each of their new accomplishments.

Thomas was a very good soldier and moved up in rank quickly to sergeant.

Indeed love had come quickly for them. Their marriage was true bliss and life was so good.

 



This Sentence Starts The Story contest entry


Photo from Google images
967 words
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. patcelaw All rights reserved.
patcelaw has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.