Romance Fiction posted February 8, 2015 Chapters:  ...104 105 -10000- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Soni and Jim make it to the shack.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Doce; part Tres

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"What's going on?" asked Jim. He stood beside her.

"It's out of our way, but maybe we can make it to that shack Dad and Opa Alder used over by Pine Mountain." Soni listened and then added, "It's a solid two hour ride, but I don't see another choice." She shoved the phone in her pocket.

"I'd like to know what's going on." Jim's eyes met Soni's.


TODAY'S POST:

"It seems a major storm's headed in our direction. If it stays on course, it should hit in about an hour." Soni lifted Smoky's saddle and placed it on the pad already setting on the horse's back. "You need to resaddle Paco. We're leaving. If this area gets the amount of rain predicted, there's a danger of flash flooding."

"How far out of the way is this shack?" Jim asked as he tightened the saddle's front cinch.

"If things go good, we might make it in an hour and a half. They probably won't. We'll be heading west and south. We need to go east and north." Soni studied Midnight. "Butkus, bring the reins." The mastiff did as he was told. "I'm relieving you of duty." She rubbed his head. "You did a good job."

Jim climbed on Paco. "Ready?"

"Yep. The faster we get moving, the drier we'll stay. Did you think to pack a rain poncho?"

"Of course. Marines are always ready for anything." Jim tapped the saddlebag.

"I thought that was the Boy Scouts." Soni led the way. "I'm pretty sure you're no Boy Scout."

Jim pulled Paco alongside of Smokey. "How do you know a cougar's following?"

"He's not following. He's staying parallel."

"That's not really the point. How do you know?"

"I can feel him eying us. He's stayed far enough away and downwind so the dogs and horses don't catch his scent." Soni pointed to her left. "He's probably old, wise, and hungry."

"You used the word 'opa'. I thought your grandfather was Apache."

"You sure ask a lot of questions for somebody who doesn't like answering them. Grandfather is Apache. But my paternal grandpa's parents were from Germany." Soni gently clicked her heels. "The wind's picking up. We'd better move faster."

*****
As the rain beat down, Soni called out and pointed. "The shack should be about a half mile straight ahead!"

Lightning crackled. Midnight reared up, almost knocking Soni from the saddle. She dropped Midnight's reins. Butkus ran and grabbed them.

"You all right?" Jim yelled.

"I'm glad Smoky doesn't get excited about anything." Soni bent over and reached for the dropped reins. Butkus glared at her. "Okay, boy, you take care of him." She faced Jim. "Did you see the look he gave me? I think I was overruled by a dog."

"He knows you almost fell and feels it's his job to take care of you."

Soni nodded and then pointed. "See the shack? It's not fancy, but it should be dry."

*****
It wasn't long before Soni opened the shack's door and led Smoky inside.

"You allowing the horses in?" Jim hesitated, standing outside.

"Remember the mountain lion? You want to walk back?"

Jim led Paco inside and then the two dogs entered with Midnight in tow. "This should be fun." He eyed the fireplace. "I'll start a fire."

"Good idea. I'll take care of the horses and maybe the saddles will dry a little by morning."

"I saw a small stable off to the right. Maybe it'll have some dry fire wood inside." Jim raised the poncho hood over his head and went outside.

After a few moments, Soni glanced up and grinned.

"You knew it was an outhouse, didn't you?" Jim studied her. "You could've told me before I fought the wind and rain."

"True, but the look on your face is priceless." Soni failed at concealing her laugh.

"The wood won't start. It's too wet."

Soni walked over and opened a small door at the left of the fireplace. "Dry firewood."

"Ha, Ha, Ha. Make fun of the new guy." Jim knelt to spread old ashes around the bottom bricks.

Soni handed him some wood. "The matches are in that table drawer beside you."

Lightning struck! Thunder boomed! The shack shook from the noise! The door blew open. Soni jumped! The dogs growled and the hair on their back bristled. The horses jerked their tied reins in an attempt to back away. Jim grabbed his Glock .40 cal.



Recognized


Thank you google images for an image of a thunder storm rolling into West Texas. I really appreciate the reviews and assistance you give me. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.