Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted January 25, 2015 Chapters:  ...61 62 -63- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The first political T.V. add that was a big fat lie.

A chapter in the book The Never Starting Story

The Great Society

by michaelcahill


THIS STANDS ALONE-DON'T NEED TO READ THE WHOLE BOOK


Background
This is a collection of stories and essays generally from my perspective at whatever age I happened to be at the time. I include poetry from the time, if I happen to have any that seems relevant.








The 1964 presidential campaign featured the incumbent Lyndon Baines Johnson versus Mister Republican, Barry Goldwater. President Johnson had the considerable ghost of John Kennedy looming over his shoulder and the American people stood behind it. This worked to his advantage as far as getting elected, but it must have galled him as far as the policies he had to pursue.

Johnson was not the liberal Kennedy was and victory in southern states stood as the main motivation for including LBJ on the ticket. As a strategy, it worked and helped Kennedy win a narrow victory over Richard M. Nixon in 1960.

As a twelve-year-old it surprises me I felt the need to follow the election at all. I've always thought my interest in politics began in high school as the Vietnam War became an elephant in every room in which I walked. No, now that I think about it, I followed the 64 election with great interest. I think the assassination of John Kennedy awakened me to the world and what existed in it. Television sat in the living room as a window through which I saw a dangerous world and its potential effect on me.
 
Johnson ran an outrageous political advertisement that year. To my knowledge, it was the very first negative political television ad. It stands out in my memory for its outlandish rabble rousing tone. It depicted Goldwater as a war monger with his finger poised over THEE button, which would launch a nuclear attack. Now, in 1964, we believed nuclear destruction of the entire world to be a possibility. The cold war between the super powers, The United States and The Soviet Union, was at its zenith. The ad ended with an image of a nuclear explosion. It implied, or stated in most opinions, Barry Goldwater couldn't wait to get his insane war mongering self into office, begin World War Three and facilitate the destruction of the world.
 
Sure enough, in spite of justified outrage, the ad proved effective. Goldwater acquired this warmonger aura and it certainly helped send him to a landslide defeat. Now, politically I'm somewhat to the left of a folk singer sitting on the back of a caboose even though it isn't attached to a train. Yet, I had no question in my mind Barry Goldwater possessed fine qualities as a human being. Though we no doubt disagreed completely on political issues, I would never say he was a warmonger or a monster of any kind. He was a decent honorable man who loved his country and wished to serve it.
 
It wouldn't be the last time my fellow bleeding hearts would embarrass me. I must admit, I couldn't have been more shocked by the fervor in which the liberal left embraced the notion that Goldwater meant the end of the world. Really? You actually believe that? For God's sake, are you all idiots?
 
Of course, nowadays, thirty-second political ads are the norm. They're all meaningless drivel and say nothing other than the other guy is a monster who will destroy the world. Yep, they work. Yep, everyone seems to believe every word. I wonder if it has anything to do with the miserable lot we have representing us?
 
So, Johnson ran his add, defeated Goldwater in a landslide and then had to pass all of Kennedy's liberal social and civil rights bills. Well, at least he managed to escalate the Vietnam War, get the draft going and make me live in fear for my life for several years. Too bad Goldwater didn't run an ad with Johnson presiding over the funeral of 50,000 young American Soldiers. But, of course, that would be the truth and we're not looking for that.
 
I suppose I can't help but color my perspective with my current mindset. I obviously didn't realize in 1964 that Johnson's actions would lead to our futile efforts and loss of life in Vietnam. At the time, This seventh grader didn't care too much for Johnson and I realize one of the main reasons was, he wasn't John Kennedy. I didn't like a man who picked his cute beagle dogs up by their ears. I didn't care if it supposedly didn't harm them or not. I had no doubt the dogs didn't appreciate it and he was a jackass for doing it. I felt like that then and I still do.
 
The funny thing is, it isn't likely, had Kennedy lived, all of his civil rights and social programs would have passed through Congress. It would have been a mighty struggle indeed. With his death, it became a tribute to our fallen leader. Johnson had no choice but to go along with it. I find it amusing given Johnson's senate record that he was the President in office when all of these liberal reforms passed.
 
That aside, the next four years saw the war in Vietnam escalate rapidly. The sentiment against it was vociferous and we young people with the threat of death ahead of us were the loudest protestors.
 

 
Sure, I'm fit with arms of steel and eagle eyes
you've your enemy whom you despise
yet, that office holds such great appeal
an oval room where you shout with zeal
 
but you wouldn't think of leaving
to honor those who are grieving
not when you can stamp our fate with your seal
the plastic soldiers on your desk aren't real
 
it's your fight, but our might
in your head, but we're dead
you who want this damn war
what are we fighting for?
 

Well, LBJ, you are long gone. But, your legacy lives on. It isn't always simple politics. Sometimes it might be best to vote for the better man. Of course, those aren't choices we have anymore.



 



Recognized


The political television ad Johnson ran pictured a little girl looking at daisies. In the background a nuclear bomb goes off wiping everything off the screen. It implied that this would be the result of voting for Goldwater.

"The Great Society" was the title of the Johnson campaign in 1964.

This is an ongoing book of my own experiences. I am not putting it in any order per se. These are events that occur to me and my perspective of them at the time. Of course, I can't help but comment from my current vantage point. But, I recall my feelings at the time pretty well. In general, what I thought when I was young are still my views. I'm always open to topics that might occur to you or suggestions, so feel free. Anything from the fifties until now is fair game. I usually concentrate on my school years. But, this has no format, so anything goes.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.