General Fiction posted January 22, 2015


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
How distraction might help

Inspiration

by Ulla

This sentence starts the story.


"Hell Found Me" .....Sue looked at the words she'd just written, leaning slightly forward, but then what? She honestly didn't have a clue. Nothing, absolutely nothing came to her. She really didn't know what to do, but she needed to find some inspiration and pronto! She had had such a brilliant idea, maybe something with a monster or some other disasters lurking in the shadows. But now, when she sat down putting pen to paper so to speak there was nothing! Her brain felt empty. Nothing, zilch, zero!

She had been so geared up for it, looking forward to get started. Writing her piece for the contest she so wanted to participate in. And now this. Nothing...It was more than frustrating!

Sue had joined a writing club not that long ago and so far she was quite happy to be part of it. It all looked very promising. She had submitted some work, a few short stories and got some very encouraging feedback and a good deal of useful hints. Also, some well deserved criticism, exactly what she was looking for. Her ultimate goal was to write a book, but that was still a long long way away. Yeah, today it looked as if it would be away forever.

"Hell Found Me"! Sue looked at the words yet again. The story HAD to start with those three words. If it didn't, she could not enter the contest. It was as simple as that.
Well, she still had a few days to go, so there was still hope she reckoned.

She looked out of the window. What a beautiful day it had turned into. Early this morning had been grey and rather windy, drizzles of rain running down the window panes. A perfect day for settling in with the computer, working on the story.

She stretched, putting her arms above her head thinking about what to do next. Well, a cup of tea could be nice but then again, not really. Oh she just didn't feel like anything really.

Ugh, to the hanks with it, it was not going to work and the day out there was begging her. Maybe some fresh air would give her inspiration.

She had heard about the term, a writers block. It had a nice sound to it didn't it? But come on, get real will you! She couldn't even write yet, let alone have a writers block. Actually, who did she think she was kidding?
She closed the computer with a bang and stood up. Enough of this!

Sue stretched and went to the clock on the mantelpiece. It was still only just after 11 in the morning, so she decided to give Mark a ring. For some time now, he had wanted her to go horse riding with him, but she had always put it off, saying maybe some other time. This being Sunday he might just be free. Now though, she really fancied to take him up on his offer. A hack would be lovely in this weather and it would certainly take her mind off things. With any luck it might even clear the cobwebs.


And she was in luck. He answered on the second ring and yes he would love to take her for a ride, so they agreed that he would pick up half an hour later.
While changing into the riding gear, Sue reflected on Mark. They had known each other a couple of years. Had met at a mutual friend's party starting talking and spent the rest of the evening chatting away. They had agreed on meeting up again, and from there they had struck up a friendship.

It had been quiet funny actually the way they got to talk that evening. The drinks had been flowing. Trays of canapes had been carried around by some hired staff. But, at one point, one of the girls with the canapes stumbled, pouring all the contents over Mark who in turn trying to avoid it had poured the whole glass of his wine over Sue. She had cried out loud, when she felt the liquid running down the back. At the time she had been chatting to a friend, her back turned to Mark.

The whole back of her dress had been soaked in wine! Actually, at that very moment it was not so funny, but poor Mark had looked so utterly helpless and so remorseful, that she had taken pity on him and had ended up laughing it off, never stopping as he was patting her down with kitchen roll, all the time begging him to stop. By then her whole dress was covered in fluffy paper bits, but a friendship had been sealed.

Did she fancy him? No, not really. Did he fancy her? She didn't think so. She didn't hope so. That would really complicate things. Their easy way with each other, their laughs and well, their
friendship, it would just all change She really didn't want to jeopardize any of that.

A car could be heard on the gravel outside. Sue jumped down the stairs and there was Mark in the little Fiat of his, waiting for her. A peck on the cheek and they were off.
The stables were some 500 yards down the road, the buildings simmering in the early spring sun. What a marvellous day it had turned into.

"Well, what were you up to when you called" Mark inquired turning slightly towards her. She looked at him, sighed, and thought she might as well tell him the truth.

"Oh well, I was only trying to get a story together. You know, I have just joined this website called FanStory. It sounds really promising and now they have put on this contest for a story to be written. OK, all that appears fairly straight forward, but the trouble is it has to start with a specific sentence. I thought I had a few ideas but now it seems that I am totally stuck. Another complication is that the deadline for handing it in is only a few days away." Mark looked thoughtful.
"Don't worry about it though, I'll come up with something."

He still looked, well skeptical, but then, seemed to think better of it. Turning again towards Sue he said," Well lets get the horses saddled and we can be off. That will take things off your mind. Oh, and by the way I have decided that you should ride the bay gelding you like so much. Is that OK"

"That's absolutely fine. Oh, Mark that is great. I am really looking forward to ride him and I bet you he will be lively in this weather! Just hope that I can handle him!"

"Not to worry. I am sure you'll be fine. Besides I will be there just next to you. So lets get going!"

Half an hour later they were trotting along the edge of the wood their minds wholly on the horses. They were indeed pretty frisky as the weather had suddenly turned quite cool, with a stiff breeze, but it was still a bright day.
"Let's go for a canter Sue shouted spurring her horse on. They need some exercise and so do we!" She was laughing as she passed Mark, but he soon followed seeming to have understood.

Oh, she enjoyed this. She could feel every muscle of her mount and the excitement that went through him. He was enjoying it as much as she did. They were now galloping down a rather narrow path meandering in the woods, and she loved it as much as her horse. She could hear Mark galloping not far behind her.

What happened next she would never know, but suddenly her horse got the bit between its teeth and now he really took off. She was totally out of control, the reins had been pulled out of her hands and all she got was the mane to hold on to. And holding onto it she was, hanging on for dear life. So far so good she was still in the saddle, but for how much longer? Oh God, she prayed, please, please don't unseat me, not at this speed!

She still hung on to the mane and amazingly managed to keep on board. A huge rain puddle suddenly appeared in front of them. As she knew horses are afraid of getting their legs hurt she expected her mount to jump the puddle to avoid it. So she made herself ready to jump it with her horse. Please, please let me make this, she managed to think, still fighting to get hold of the reins trying to get some control of the beast!

The next thing that happened would forever be unclear. All she could sense was that the horse stopped dead, but she was standing up in the stirrups all poised to jump with her horse, ready for the big puddle.

Well, she jumped right enough, but the horse didn't!! Sue could feel herself flying through the air. Somehow, she landed on her back not a breath left in her body. As she was lying there looking straight up into the horse's eyes it equally looked straight down on her as if to say:" what the heck are you doing down there? We just had so much fun and now you have deserted me!"

To her last day, she would swear that was what she read in that horse's eyes.

Mark finally caught up with her looking down at her as if he was afraid of what he might find. The last thing he had expected was that Sue was shaking from laughter. She just looked up at him and shouted: "Hell found me!"

Mark looked down at her frowning. He looked as if he thought she might have lost her mind or maybe worse, had been brain damaged.
"What the hell are you on about woman! You scare the blinking daylight out of me and all you can do is lying there laughing like a madwoman screaming out that Hell has found you. What are you on about? "

"Oh Mark, please help me up and I will try to explain. It's just so funny really. But I'm still not completely sure that I an I am in one piece."

Poor Mark, did as he was told. She was all right it seemed, but very badly bruised. Sue agreed that he would lead the horses back to the stables and that she would be limping along as best as she could.
At least nothing seemed to be broken.

When they finally got back at the stables Mark settled their horses in, leaving them with some hay. He then suggested a visit to the local pub, if she thought she could manage that. Yeah, Sue thought so, and after that, back home for a hot soak.
A lovely fire was on in the pub and after settling in with their drinks Mark turned towards Sue with an inquiring look.

"Now missus, what was all that about? Shouting about Hell had found you, and what not?" Mark looked quite stern and she realised she couldn't escape that one.

Sue looked him straight in the eye and repeated: "Hell Found Me!!!!!!"

Mark leaned back and roared with laughter.
What the hell was so funny now? A minute ago he didn't know what she was on about and now he was laughing his head off!

" You are just so funny. What is this all about? Now, Sue you do need to tell me."

"Well Mark you see, it's this writing competition. I have to hand it in, in a few days time. The piece also has to start with those exact words: Hell found me. I just couldn't find anything to write. And I needed inspiration, but I think today has given me me just that. Thanks to your frisky horse!"

"A hot bath and I will be all set and ready for writing my piece. Sue raised her class." Thanks to you and your lovely horse, I have just got the inspiration I needed. Lets drink to that and again, thanks for a lovely day Mark. Cheers!"



















New Arrival Contest contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Ulla All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Ulla has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.