Horror and Thriller Fiction posted January 18, 2015


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Beware the windows

Big Brown Eyes

by lancellot


The moon was full and it was raining cats and dogs. Karen squinted in vain trying to see through the water, and dozens of streaks left by her worn wipers. Understanding caution, she sighed and reluctantly eased her foot off the gas. She stole her eyes away from the road for a second and watched the red accelerator needle fall.

“It’ll be forever before…”

A heavy jolt rocked the car and Karen slammed on the brakes. The Buick skidded to a stop but her heart raced on.

“Please God.” She struggled to see through the foggy back window.  “Relax, relax. It was probably just a pot hole. Oh God please let it be a pot hole.”

Karen quickly looked around but saw no other cars. She held her breath and focused but couldn’t hear anything over the radio.

“… State and local police are still baffled by the savage and unimaginable murders of six young…”

Karen killed the annoying noise and rolled down her window. Through the rain she caught the unmistakable sound of whimpering. Her blood froze and her mouth went dry. The thought of driving away flashed through her mind, but then the specter of spending the next ten years in prison washing her cell-mate’s underwear, amongst other nasty things, forced her to open the door and get out.

Wiping rain out of her eyes, Karen walked several yards back down the road. She was about to fault her over-active imagination when on the side of the road she saw a small form shuddering in the grass. Her stomach instantly knotted and she dashed through the puddles.

Reaching the body, she quickly fell to one knee and gasped as a pair of large brown eyes stared up at her.

“Oh no, I hit a puppy.” She reached out with soaking wet hands and stroked equally drenched fur. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t see you. Are you hurt?”

The animal seemed to whimper in reply and Karen slowly ran her hands over the animal’s limbs searching for breaks.

“It’s too dark. I can’t tell how bad you’re hurt.” She looked down into a pair of big brown eyes and felt her heart go out. Any thoughts of leaving the animal fled from her mind. “I’ll take you home tonight and then to a shelter in the morning.”  She picked up the small beast and quickly walked back to her car.
***

Five days later Sammy, that is what she now called ‘her’ dog was still with her. Karen had originally found a small space for him in her laundry room, but each morning when she awoke Sammy would be sleeping in the bed with her. Karen was clueless as to how he got through her closed door, but convinced herself she left it cracked open during a bathroom run.

Karen didn’t think too hard about her dog’s presence. She actually liked having him there. The puppy gave her a sense of protection. For the past three nights she had been haunted by sexually violent nightmares.

When she closed her eyes on the sixth night she saw herself running through a dark forest at night. She was nearly naked with only the thinnest white silk covering her body. She was fleeing something terrible, something not-human. She fell to the ground. There she felt claws rip away her coverings and exposed her warm flesh to the cool night air. She tried to rise but he was upon her in an instant. His hot breath was on her neck and she shuddered as his rancid tongue probed her ear above and something larger probed her below.

“Do not resist, my love. You are my chosen mate and will bare our brood. You are stronger than the others. Through you, we will live.”

The voice was deep, menacing but somehow familiar.  She wanted to flee or fight, but his weight was too much.  She felt her body opening and then finally she screamed.

She awoke covered in sweat and wet sheets. She instinctively reached down and checked herself. Her short curly hair was soaked and her panties were gone. She did not remember taking them off but figured she must have wriggled out of them in her sleep.

Hanging her head in frustration her gaze fell on large soft brown eyes staring up at her.  They were eyes so soulful, so old, almost as if they had seen the world when it was young and new. Immediately she felt herself calming.

“Oh, Sammy, don’t look so worried. I’m okay; it’s just a silly dream.”  She opened her arms and he quickly snuggled between her moist breasts. “You’ll protect me from the big bad monster, won’t you, Sammy?”

Sammy doesn’t reply, only wagged his stiff tail into her body.

“Oh!” Karen giggled. “Easy, boy, your tail is hitting my… well… maybe I should put my panties back on.”

Karen looked around her but saw only damp sheets. “Never mind, let’s just get some sleep.”

As she drifted off a single question floats through her tired mind. Where are my panties?

For the most part Karen was pleased with her dog. He was house trained, ate table food with no issues and was always there when she needed company. Karen often found herself speaking with her dog, rather than talking to it.

“So, Sammy, what should we watch tonight?” Karen flopped down on the sofa and Sammy hopped up and settled in next her. She held the remote with one hand and absently stroked the puppy’s fur with her other.  “How about American Idol?” she looked down at her dog who merely lowered its head.

Karen cycled through several channels when suddenly Sammy barked.

“This one?” she asked and he barked again in response. “Okay, what movie is this?” Karen pressed the info button. “Stephen King’s Cujo; umm strange choice but okay, I guess you like dog movies. We’ll watch for a while but…”

Karen stopped in mid-sentence as the phone rang. She walked into the kitchen and picked up the phone.

“Hi, Mom,” she answered.

“Hello, dear, I just called to see if you wanted to come over for dinner?”

“No thanks, Mom.  Sammy and I are just going to cuddle on the sofa and watch movies.”

“Sammy? You’ve got new guy and you haven’t told me. With all those young girls being murdered by some crazy man, I’m worried about…”

“Ha, don’t be. Sammy is not a man, he’s my puppy and…”

“Wait… wait… you mean puppy as in… a dog?”

“Yeah, though I’m not sure what breed he is. I keep meaning to take him to the vet, but something always comes up. Maybe tomorrow…”

“Karen, you can’t have a dog. Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, and I’m an adult, mom. I know you hate dogs but this is my life and…”

“Honey, I don’t hate dogs. I love them.”

“But you never let me have …”

“Karen, that’s because you’re allergic to dogs.  You can’t be near them. How long have you had it? Karen? Karen?”

Karen didn’t hear her mother’s last question. Even if she had, she wouldn’t have been able to answer. The phone was quickly removed from her hand and the line yanked from the wall.

For the first time in days Karen found herself staring up into a pair of big brown eyes instead of down.  Unlike before she didn’t have a soothing feeling and saw no signs of wisdom. This time she felt shock, horror and fear, and in those large eyes saw only madness.

“I had hoped to do this with care this time.  I am sorry, but I have no choice.” Karen felt something large press against her stomach. “My species has a right to survive too.” One huge clawed hand grasped Karen’s neck and effortlessly lifted her off the ground, while a second claw cut through her pajamas. “No, don’t struggle, my love. It’s still me; still your little Sammy. Perhaps the gods will be kind and this time it will work.”

 A long black claw traced up her smooth trembling white skin and gently wiped away a tear from her face. "Don't cry... yet."
***

Flashing red and blue lights filled the night as men in uniform whispered in low tones and desperately tried to restrain rumbling stomachs.  A tired detective Williams walked past one of three body bags containing the remains of Karen Sines and approached a young female officer sitting on a chair.

“Your shift ended an hour ago, Ramos. Why are you still here?” asked the detective.

The woman looked up, while her hands absently stroked soft fur. “I’ve been waiting for animal control, but they’re a no-show. I guess I’ll just take this little guy home with me. He has the cutest big brown eyes.”

“Whatever, women are powerless to a pair of big brown eyes.” The detective leaves for an odd conversation with a grieving mother.
 



Create a New Horror Star writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Tired of werewolves, vampires, witches, zombies and the rest of the traditional horror story stars? Let's have a new star. Write a story (not just a description) introducing your new monster and showcasing its horrific powers and nasty nature.

Rules:
1. Only ONE picture, at the top.
2. Only ONE font, of your choice, in standard black.
3. Between 500 and 1500 words.
4. No author notes.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. lancellot All rights reserved.
lancellot has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.