Romance Fiction posted January 18, 2015 Chapters:  ...27 28 -29- 30... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
More problems for Soni.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Once; Part Cinco

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

The man raised his hands. Jim glanced at Soni as he rubbed his left shoulder. "What took you so long?"

"I stopped to eat lunch," snapped Soni. "You just can't stay out of trouble, can you? How's your shoulder? Is it bleeding?"

From a distance, Jim and Soni heard a chuckle and both turned.


TODAY'S POST:

"You two still can't get along!" said Alex. He had roped one and another man he aimed his six-shooter at. "These two tried to get away."

"That's a total of five. Think that's it?" asked Soni.

"Five? I only see four." Alex scanned the area.

"There's one in the corral, shot between the eyes. Jim's a former Marine sniper."

Alex tipped his hat. "Glad to be on your good side." He grinned from ear to ear. "What should we do with these scumbags?"

"Let's get them inside the shack, tie them up, and then decide." Jim studied the man Butkus still had down. "What do we do with him?"

"Butkus." Soni tapped her side and Butkus sat beside her.

The man attempted to sneak away. Butkus snarled and showed his teeth.

"I wouldn't do that. I'm sure he can outrun you, and he won't be as friendly the next time." Soni aimed at rifle at him. "Neither will I."

*****
Inside the shack, Jim, Alex, and Soni tied up the first three men. Butkus, Goliath, and Mack stood guard. The fourth man still had the rope around him that Alex had used to snare him and was positioned against a wall.

When Soni stepped to her right side, he stretched his leg out in an attempt to trip her.

Soni caught herself, but glared in his eyes. I know you from somewhere. But where?

"Indian Squaw, usted estar muerto al final de la semana." The short black haired man spit in Soni's face and laughed.

All three dogs growled and stepped closer.

Using her body weight, Soni pressed him against the wooden wall, positioned her left forearm against his throat, and put the tip of her knife under his chin. "I may be dead by the end of the week, but you could die now."

Alex grabbed Soni's arm. "He's not worth it."

Soni released her hold but not without drawing blood from his chin. Why is he taunting me? Where have I seen him? Who wants me dead and why?

"Alex's right. I have a plan." Jim eyed the one remaining untied man. "Alex, you got this? I need to make a phone call. When I finish, I'll bring in the dead guy." He walked to the corner of the one-room shack.

Soni's glare studied the man as he grinned at her. I've never done anything to you. She released a deep breath. I'm overreacting. Fresh air will clear my head. She walked outside.

Mack walked beside her. Soni adjusted her hat to shield her eyes from the bright sunlight and stared at the solid blue sky. Not a cloud in sight. She looked over her shoulder at the shack. Alex and Jim can handle things. I won't be long.

A short distance from the shack, Soni sat on the ground and leaned her back against a mesquite tree. Mack lay beside her. She closed her eyes and whispered, "Grandfather, I know you were here earlier and helped free Midnight. Thank you for that. I need you now. A man told me I'd be dead by the end of the week. I know he was taunting me, but I can't get a grip on it. I need help putting it in perspective."

As Mack stood and growled, Soni opened her eyes.

A wolf-hybrid came out of nowhere and attacked Mack.

A dark haired man aimed a six-shooter at Soni, and with an accent said, "We finally meet. Soni Alder, I'm El Amarillo. I'm sure you've heard of me." When Soni didn't answer, he continued, "I wanted you to know my name before I kill you."

Growls, snares, and yelps filled the air.






Recognized


Thank you google images for an image of a wolf-hybrid. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.