General Fiction posted January 18, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Daddy honored

The Wildcats

by patcelaw

Charlie Contest Winner 



The Wildcats


The last time I saw Charlie, he and his dear wife were on their honeymoon. I was caught by surprise to find out Charlie was even getting married. I knew he and Flora were dating, but he assured me it was just casual dating and he was in no way ready for marriage.

I stopped dead in my track when I saw him at the baseball game. Going to a baseball game on your honeymoon seemed a bit odd to me so I said, "Charlie, What would possess you to take a new wife to a ball game?"

He replied, "It was Flora's idea."

I then asked " Why would she want to spend time on your honeymoon going to a ball game?"

"Flora, had a father who played shortstop for the Brooklyn Wildcats several years before."

"Who are the Brooklyn Wildcats?"

"Jerry, the Brooklyn Wildcats were the first engine company to respond on 9-11 and lost seventy-five percent of their crew that day." Flora's, father could not walk her down the aisle, this was her way of honoring her father, who was one of the firemen that perished on 9-11.

"After the game we are going to the firehouse of his company to have our first dance, and then share the cake with the firemen."

This wedding was July 4, 2002



Writing Prompt
Write a story that begins with the line: The last time I saw Charlie ... (continue the sentence and story)

Charlie
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. patcelaw All rights reserved.
patcelaw has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.