General Fiction posted January 15, 2015 Chapters:  ...2 2 -2- 2 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
~The Final Battle~

A chapter in the book "OUT OF THE BLUE"

~The Awakening~ part 5

by write hand blue



             The reconstructed face of ≈ King Richard III ≈  1452 ~ 1485

"I lived as a Christian King and died, slaughtered by the swords of traitors.
© Richard III 2014



                                                             PART FIVE

                                                                   OF

                                      ~ The Awakening ~


                                    

Background...

King Richard's voice talks from the grave; where he describes his final battle to Dr Carol Buckley and Dr Julia Appleby. He was the last Warrior King of England to die in combat defending his title.


I would humbly suggest that you read the first part A, of the writers notes before continuing to read the story...


                                        The Final Battle.


King Richard speaks...

♦♦
With no escape possible from this mire we were quickly overrun by the sheer numbers of that rabble. Many of whom had no stomach for fighting true, and, did stab and run. This caused me to laugh and shout forth.

"Come closer and feel my blade you products of whoring mothers and fathers of poor issue."

I have taken certain comfort in the fact that Squire George Ellis although having been hard pressed, did help me onto my feet and offered his horse. This I declined  and shouted--"May God forbid, that I retreat one step--I will either win the battle as a king--or die as one."

Perhaps I should have taken the horse. Would history have taken another course? We'll never know.

I allowed all my energy to flow into the sword. I felt no fear, perhaps I should have.

I, with my small surviving guard stood alone. Where were all my men? Positioned just a half cannon shot away. Troops rewarded so well to fight for their King. Perhaps in the melee, sight of me was lost.--Then Stanley's men swarmed against our ranks--it bears well for them that I be slain--for had I not been, then the Stanleys and others would have paid an expensive price, commiserate with their treachery.

♦♦

At this point we felt his sense of his anger and frustration as if still fresh, after all this time. I did point out to Carol that the temper was not there as before. As the story unfolded this was crucial because Richard was now fighting on foot and as he said it would have been difficult to see the rest of his army. He described with scorn the quality of some of his adversaries.

♦♦
"Come on you traitors of England," I taunted all those cowards that hung back...
Still, do I remember the foreign tongues of Henry Tudor's rabble. Then disaster--a cowardly blow delivered from behind by a halberd penetrated my bascinet (helmet) and the top of my head. Wracked by an agony I can't describe, I still remember the warm feeling of that stream--as blood flowed over my right eye and down my face. With my left arm curiously weakened I regained my feet and ever forward I struck out with my sword. My damaged helmet cast aside.

"God still favours our cause," I shouted as a rally to my men.


My personal guard were valiant in their stance and by then much reduced in numbers they fought on. Slowed down a little and unable to grasp my dagger with my left hand. Still the enemy swarmed to us. With my grievous head wound I knew that all was lost. Tis most true I gave good account of myself. This I know has been recorded in certain accounts.

Meanwhile a pathetic Henry Tudor stayed safe yards away 'cowering' behind the traitors that surrounded him.

I exercised my trusty well balanced main sword in the manner taught to me by Dino Alffeti the Italian master swords man. My right arm moved by intention to save me, no thought was needed, my blade lived out a life and death dance of its own. And did provide danger to anyone brave.

Left and right I inflicted terrible injuries. With my restricted movement, most of the rabble behind me escaped my thirsty sword.

Alas I was taken again from behind, by those cowards--to be butchered like a dog. My unprotected head invited some mighty sword strokes of terrible force, the agony I cannot describe. From all directions blows came this way--that way--at last I succumbed to a slicing blow to my lower head. It was in this fashion, unfit for a warrior trained for battle that I was put to death. In my last moments on earth I did scream my final words ...


"Traitors, traitors, traitors."

♦♦

We thought it appropriate to mention, that Richard was screaming on the recording as he re-lived those last moments. Our hearts went out to this articulate and sensitive man who was merely defending himself and his crown. The session ended.

♦♦

No great credit was due to Henry for having allowed such cowardly indignities to be performed upon my still warm corpse. Nor, for the public display of my body, so mutilated, my shame covered by not so much as a clout, then dumped callously in an unmarked grave in Grayfriars Church. Hallowed ground though it was...

Why was I treated so?--Did I not defend my crown in honourable fashion? Was any recognition and expression of decency just too embarrassing for him? For he be the one who did nothing--but ready himself for cowardly flight.

Through time my name has been sullied so. To become as if history errant; so devoid of truth, as to be like some macabre fairytale for all to behold. Believed by the unquestioning and a travesty of any sense, or honour.

I became regarded by many as an ogre.--That demented murderous cripple as described by Shakespeare. His performances--those nasty presentations,--so deeply influenced by political fantasy and required for the survival of the author under the reign of Queen Elizabeth I.

It has pained me deeply to be despised by all--imagined to be so deformed in body and mind. This be untrue and unfair, I have a celestial want--a compulsion perhaps,  to put these matters right.

We all be born, created to the Lord's wishes. Despite having but a slight frame, and an infirmity now so well shown in my grave, I trained in special ways and fought on occasions as well as any knight in the saddle. T'was only on foot that my strength was limited for reasons I well know. Pain was my penance and did tire me most, that was why I worked hard to become fast with [the]sword.


During my mortal life I followed certain Christian virtues. Perhaps at times I did behave with a soft and sometimes too forgiving heart. Especially concerning my dealings with that traitor Sir William Stanley.--For, tis a fact that my kindness in allowing him to live, even, after his earlier traitorous conduct, was the reason for my untimely demise.

Perhaps you may be interested to know that King Henry eventually had him executed in 1495.

Born from a line started by a bastard of John of Gaunt; Henry Tudor usurped my rightful title and became King Henry VII. During his reign he slaughtered many of his subjects, including all excepting one female of the remaining members of my Plantagenet family.

Henry VII proved to be a miser, unloved throughout England, a King who died with his coffers full and mourned not, by his subjects.


***


With their father's marriage declared invalid, the two princes Edward and Richard were charged as bastards and forfeited of any claim to the throne of England. Thus they became no longer any threat to my crown.

The assumed murder of the two princes in the tower, Edward and Richard, and so long charged against me was the only sully against my name.

In August 1483, I allowed myself to be influenced by my chief advisor. I commanded my two young cousins be sent far away from English shores in secret. Had it not been in secret it would have been pointless. Because they would forever be the focus for rebellion. I wanted nothing more than peace in my reign.

During my extensive travels I came across a certain monastery in Tuscany, Italy. Well impressed with the life there and the fact that they welcomed new converts, refuges, etc. I considered this a perfect place to send them. Ample monies were provided to give them a good new life in the service of God, and to want for nothing.

To this end I entrusted Sir James Tyrell who smuggled the boys out of the tower and the country disguised as two peasant girls. He escorted them eventually reaching safety in Italy, this took forty eight days.

He made a personal oath to me never to speak of this matter. He was loyal to me, and only revealed the truth to King Henry VII while under torture on the rack. He did not confess to any murders, as reported by Henry.

If, anything happened to the two princes, then I must ask you. Who would have had a hand in harming them?--Henry knew where they were living not long after my death...

Did the Tudors have any interest in murdering them? Would he have allowed the two last Plantagenets to live. Shifting the blame by sullying my name? It was so important to them that Shakespeare was commissioned by Queen Elizabeth I to write that odious play about me. Words that seemed to gain credence with time, the more repeated the more believed.


So pleased am I to see my true form shown to all. Though tis a strange feeling to have my bones examined, in such manner. In my times only witches were interested in human bones.

If there could be flesh upon my bones once again then I would show myself in combat and on the chess board the equal of any man.

I believe it to be my time to thank my dear Ladies, 'Julia and Claire'  for this opportunity to turn a little part of history back onto the rightful course to truth. Had I the means then they would be titled. I can only communicate my many thanks...

Although your world has many wonders, tis not now the place for me, though tis true, I could wish for the chance of mortal life. My estates, large forests where I hunted during my time on earth, are now nearly all gone, used in so many ways.

I have learned that I'm soon to be put to rest in Leicester Cathedral as befitting a King.

But may I now rest in PEACE? Or perhaps there be more to tell; I did have an eventful life, little of which has so far been preserved for posterity.

With time for discourse to soothe my tragic soul ~ time ~ time, this I have in abundance, an eternity, of ~ time.

♦♦

We have kept in touch with Richard and are in the process of writing a book to include his earlier life. If all this seems unbelievable, then just remember that truth is stranger than fiction. He indicated that all profits are to go to the Richard III society. He has pledged that if able, he will make donations to certain descendants of his subjects in the future.

A note from the editor Violet May.

When we receive a story like this one, if the writer has heard the words directly from source and without proof, then we generally question the need for psychiatric evaluation. In this case the nearly inaudible voice was recorded on electronic equipment, and verified by witnesses.

I have been privy to a playback of the main part of this story. This has shocked me to the core; my preconceptions have changed in a similar fashion to the co-writers of this article Miss Carol Buckley and Mrs Julia Appleby.

It is impossible to over estimate the importance of this contact with the past. Much is to be learned about this largely unknown period of history ~ 'THE DARK AGES'.


                                                      ~~ # ~~






 



Recognized


PART A...

First of all my apologies for a story of this length and the delay between the parts.

You may find it worthwhile to look up episode one, if you have not already read it. Available on my front page.

During my studies of this man I felt a certain compulsion to put right some of the unfair criticism that has been leveled at him over the centuries. He was no saint, but my studies show him to have been of a better behaved character than his usurper Henry VII.

I'm offering an incentive to those who spend the time and review this final part.

Finally as always I humbly thank you for reading my work, this is always appreciated.



PART B...

I have assumed that the pointed weapon that failed to penetrate through the top of the skull missed damaging the central corpus callosum and affected only the right hemisphere of the brain. This controls the left side of the body.

The slicing sword, or halberd wound to the lower rear head, is believed most likely to have been delivered while Richard was on his feet. This took a four inch slice out of Richard's brain and has been described as non-survivable. I have described this as Richard's death wound. There is another stab wound that penetrated right through the side of his brain. My feelings are that he was prone on the ground at the time but we can't be sure.


It's believed that Richard's body was treated no different to the way any other royal person would have been treated. No hearses or coffins were used at battles, all but Kings were usually buried where they fell. He was carried on the back of a horse ridden by his personal servant. It was important for Henry to preserve Richards facial features so he could be identified and to prove that he was dead. So certain orders must have been given to guard the body.

I have much more to write about this subject but space forbids.

I acknowledge the two books as being my main source of inspiration but there are others to a smaller degree.

'The Last Days of Richard III and the fate of his DNA.' by John Ashdown Hill.

'THE KING'S GRAVE' by Philippa Langley and Michael Jones.

Once again many thanks for reading this far...


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. write hand blue All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
write hand blue has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.