General Fiction posted December 29, 2014 Chapters:  ...27 28 -29- 30... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Arthur follows his instincts

A chapter in the book Framed

Arthur Goes It Alone

by bob cullen



Background
Calin Roberts is an operative with Homeland Securities. While his name appears on no official documentation his reputation is known and feared throughout the hallways of Washington
"We need to contact Spellman," said Kennedy Lyons who had replaced her grieving superior as lead investigator. They were in an unmarked car heading east.

"I'd say, you've more chance of arranging a face-to-face with the good Lord himself," said the former tennis player. "Spellman is more invisible than a shadow on the blackest night."

"He needs us as much as we need him."

"You're only half right, Kenni, we do need him. But his very survival proves he can survive without us."

"How well do you know him?"

"Socially, not at all, though I have shared assignments with him," Ashe replied. "Actually I lie, I attended a meeting with a number of colleagues about four months ago, and he was there. We spoke briefly. I do however recall him expressing his anger at the appointment of the new Assistant Director."

"Is that new AD still around?"

"No. He was murdered by a sniper within a week of his appointment."

"Spellman's work?" she surmised.

"He was blamed, but he denied it. He claimed he was overseas at the time."

"Do you believe him?"

"I want to. He was one of my predecessors as Calin Roberts and I'd like to think we shared similar values. But then he disappeared and I must confess I had my doubts, I believed what I was told, Tyler Spellman had gone rogue and he had to be silenced." Arthur fell silent as he thought about his colleague.

"Then I got involved," he continued. "I was assigned the task of locating him. The more I learned, the more I discovered inconsistencies. So many lies were being told, Tyler hadn't gone AWOL. He was, I've since learned, placed under house arrest and subjected to intensive interrogation. They tried to break him, with drugs and torture just to get a confession and when that didn't work they set him up at the farmhouse. The one thing they didn't count on was his ability to survive.

"In treating him as enemy, they created a monster beyond their control."

"But we're not his enemies."

"He doesn't know that. In his mind as this moment I would think he sees us as the deadliest enemy. And after what's he's been through this past month, that thinking is more than justified."

"Are you suggesting one of our secret Pentagon organisations would do that to one of their own operatives?"

"In the interest of National security they'll do whatever they consider necessary."

"Who determines what constitutes a national risk?"

"There lies the problem."

Her phone rang. "Lyons." She listened to the caller then, in a tone bordering on disbelief asked. "Where? And, when?" The short response to her two questions ended the call.

"Bad news?" asked Arthur.

"Tell me about Thomas?" The pre-call conversation of polite enquiry had taken on the sharpness of blunt interrogation of a suspect.

"He's dead, isn't he?"

"Yes, found shot dead by a prostitute who then suicided."

"That means I'm next." Fear had long ceased being a concern to Arthur Ashe. He worried about factors external to his circle of control. As an operative, he preferred that word to assassin he surveyed his surrounds, studied his target and planned to the second the hit and his escape route. Now, as a target, someone else was doing precisely that. And, judging on performance to date, the General and Rodwell's wife, Arthur realised that that someone was both efficient and capable. Circumstances were beyond his influence. Arthur switched onto high alert. The killer could be anyone. Perhaps even a police officer. How well did he know Kennedy Lyons?

"It wasn't a suicide, I can guarantee that," said Arthur. "General Thomas had outlived his usefulness."

"Are you suggesting he was somehow involved in all of this?"

"Not suggesting, Detective, downright stating it as fact, unproven at this time, but believe me, fact nonetheless."

"Why Detective, Arthur, I thought we'd agreed to forgo formalities?"

"We had, but now this involves the Military and I am by way of sworn duty torn between my obligations as a soldier and my duty as a citizen and at this point I'm more inclined to lean towards my loyalties to the Military."

"Didn't you just say you'll be the next target? I can provide you with protection."

"Kennedy, no one can promise protection against a committed assassin."

"So what do you plan to do? I don't see you as the type to go into hiding. And after what happened to the General I can't see you reporting back for duty.""

"I'm going to find Tyler Spellman."

"If the police can't find him, what makes you think you can? Maybe for your own safety, I should place you under arrest?"

"Do that and you'll discover the real meaning of ruthless?"

"Are you threatening me, Arthur?"

"Officer Lyons, there are a couple of things you should know about me," said the passenger. "I don't scare easy and I don't give up on my friends."

"Where do you want me to drop you?"

"The next town we pass through will be fine."

"May I ask one question?"

"You can ask, but I can't answer what I don't know. What I do know however is the truth. Sadly I also know there are times when that truth becomes irrelevant."

"That's the hardest part of policing," she answered. "And it's happening here. Your late friend, the General made it clear. There would be no police investigation. We will however continue to look into what has taken place and it would make our job easier if you could assist us particularly in regard to the death of Mrs Rodwell."

"I'll do what I can."

"Appreciate that. And one last thing, Arthur," she said as she slowed the car and pulled off the road. "If there is any way I can assist in your future enquiries, just let me know." She passed a business card across. "It might be simpler if you call me on my cell.

"I'll drop you at this gas station. You should be able to get yourself a ride into town. Good hunting, soldier."

"Thanks, Kenni. I will be in contact." It was a statement he had no intention of honouring.


Arthur had long believed instinct was one step beyond intuition. While it had no scientific or logical basis the belief had served him well both on the tennis court and in his military duties. It came from within often drawing an obscure fact from the circumstances surrounding him. More often than not it lacked reason yet it had, on more than one occasion ensured survival.

Arthur found himself now confronted by dilemma. Reality argued he knew neither the facts nor the person, Tyler Spellman. Sure he'd read the reports detailing the man's activities, but reports were skeletal and insufficient when it came to forming an accurate assessment. Nor was there any way of establishing the existence of a corrupt source within the Pentagon. Suspicion wasn't fact. Yet he knew, lies and liars had spun their web of deceit. Arthur sensed the impossibility of the task he faced. Yet, the prospect of taking no action insulted his every ethical principle. Tyler Spellman was a victim, a colleague and a man who had risked his life for his country. He was no traitor. Why then was he being pursued with such vigour? What knowledge had he uncovered?

What did Arthur know of his superiors? The General, his immediate Commanding Officer was dead and in all probability implicated in whatever was going on. Another potential source had been silenced. His thoughts turned to Tyler Spellman. What did he know of him? History recorded his ruthlessness, he was a killing machine. Could he now be trusted?

Arthur needed time to think and to analyse. But he didn't have time. He too was being hunted. For the first time in his life Arthur Ashe realised he needed help, he was no longer involved in a singles event. Was there anyone he could trust? His fingers located the business card of Kenni.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. bob cullen All rights reserved.
bob cullen has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.