General Fiction posted December 19, 2014 Chapters:  ...18 19 -20- 21... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Equipment drop

A chapter in the book Wilderness Encounter

20

by Catherin Elizabet Belle

Over the next month Pebbles works diligently, her concentration on the task at hand soon tempered her emotions. They continue the hand to hand combat; and add the use of both knives and guns to the exercise. She’s quite proficient, becoming more and more deadly with both.

Bo-peep forces her to test her endurance and expertise on a daily basis. They have just completed firing at the established range; and to her pleasure Pebbles is most accurate with a fixed target. Watching as Pebbles inserts a new clip. It’s time to see how she does with moving targets; I’ll have to contact Viper, we’ll need the paint guns. “Hey, let’s talk.”

Placing the pistol in the shoulder holster Pebbles turns facing Peep. “What about?”

“It’s time to see how much you have learned; and we need equipment we don’t have. We need the paint guns I mentioned earlier.” Pausing to observe Pebbles reaction; and seeing no change in her expression she continues. “That will necessitate contacting Viper.”

Without moving an inch from where she is standing, she simply nods understanding and turns to police her brass.

Peep thinks. Well! Well! Well! Scanning the area she is sure that no one would find any evidence of the range if they should wander into the area. Pebbles says she has rarely seen anyone here with the exception of Viper.

Standing in the shade slightly to the left of the firing range Peep puts in a call to Viper on the encrypted phone. When he doesn’t pick up she wonders why. Checking to see if she had the correct frequency. Nope she is on the one Viper gave her. She calls headquarters, “Bo-peep for King Pin.”

The reply. “On assignment.”

HUM! What’s going on. “Can’t reach Viper?”

“On assignment.”

“When and where?” Silence on the other end told her there would be no reply.

“Put Jammer on. He is there, right?”

“Hold.”

“Yeah, whatcha want?”

“Bo-peep.”

“Hey, you’re on a special assignment. What’s up?”

 “Damn the whole crew is off somewhere. Jammer, I need a drop at Viper’s. You have the coordinates. Can you handle the drop?”

“What you need?”

“I need paint guns, a supply of 2 colors of paint, ammo for P230’s, and a generous supply of MRE’s.

Pondering her request.  “Are you still babysitting?”

“Roger.”

“I’ll get back to you.”  Breaking the connection.

Bo-peep stands holding the phone in her hand wondering what the hell’s going on. Viper should be at his cabin; he’s retired. Why is he on assignment? Well, maybe it’s just as well, Pebbles is secretive, especially where Viper is concerned. She turns toward the cabin. “I need a cup of coffee, Pebbles; you game?”

Picking up the last piece of brass and removing the paper target from the bale Pebbles moves toward the cabin right behind Peep. “Sounds good to me. What’s next?”

Bo-peep turns attacking Pebbles who immediately responds. The two combatants are equally matched. Pebbles giving as good as her trainer.  Each combatant moving with deliberate and deadly calm each move calculated to take the other down. Jab. Cross, upper cut, move out. Move in, jab, cross, uppercut; constantly moving each perfection in defense and aggression.  Even on this cool November day high in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains sweat pours off the two who know that this melee can only end one way. One of them unconscious. In each of their minds the question hovers. Which one?  

Secretly, Bo-peep is pleased at the way Pebbles handles herself, but doesn’t have time for reflection or she will be the one on the ground.

Pebbles in deep concentration is determined to put her opponent on the ground. I have worked toward this end, I have to succeed. Watching her opponent, anticipating every move, she senses her opening and in a wink she has Peep completely subdued.

As Bo-peep signals defeat she gradually lets up on the strangle hold alert to any sudden move she might try. Quickly Peep moves to reverse their positions; instantly Pebbles clamps down on the throat and this time Peep goes limp.

Releasing her hold Pebbles steps away just as Peep leaps to her feet. “Well, done! Then continues her way to the cabin as though nothing had happened.

Pebbles where she released Peep watching her walk away.  “Hey Peeps, What was that all about?” When she doesn’t halt her motion, Pebbles follows her to the cabin.

Just as she reaches the steps she turns. “Testing your awareness and readiness.” With a slight grin.  “You passed.”

Just as they sit down to dinner, Bo-peeps phone clicks. “Bo-Peep”.

“Jammer here.  Drop will be at 0400 hundred two days from now.”

“Will you need a flare?”

“Appreciate it, Bo-Peep.”

Replying. “Can do.” She clicks off. “We’re set on the equipment drop. Rendezvous in two days.”

“Peeps. Where?”

Looking up to watch her response. “Viper’s cabin.” Seeing a slight tension in her jaw she waits for her reaction.

Pebbles thinks for a moment. “Should be okay, you said they were on assignment.” Then goes back to her dinner.

Pleased with her response Bo-peep realizes that one day in the not too distant future she just might qualify for their elite organization. Now, wouldn’t that be a kick in the pants; especially to Viper! Hum, I kinda like the idea. Wonder how Pebbles would feel? Of course, there is still a lot for her to learn. Yup, that might change the direction of the training.

“Whatcha you thinking, Peeps?

Knowing she has been caught she replies with a partial truth. “Just going over some of things we still have to cover to be sure you accomplish your goal.” Not wishing to explain further. “Let’s clean up this mess and call it a night.”

As they move to do just that a whinny is heard from the direction of the barn. “That’s Paddy, not much disturbs her I’ll take a look.” Picking up the shotgun in the corner she steps out on the porch and sees a puma lurking around the corral. Not wanting to kill the cat, she fires hitting the ground just in front of him; watching as he races into the cover of the trees.  With Peeps on her heels she continues to the barn quieting the restless horses. Making sure the door is secure she returns to the cabin.

“Will the cat return, Pebbles?”

“Probably not, but I’ll be sleeping with one eye open the rest of the night.” Pebbles lays on her bed the shotgun close at hand her eyes riveted to the ceiling and her ears cocked to every tiny sound emanating from the surrounding forest. As the moon reaches its peak in the ebony sky shattered by a million glittering stars, a lone coyote’s howl echoes through the pale glow of the globe orbiting the earth. She soon dozes off in spite of her declaration. Across the room, Bo-peep also aware of the coyote’s nightly escapade smiles into the darkness as she too dozes.

The equipment drop Bo-peep requested is delivered exactly on scheduled.  And the two women hide in the surrounding woods outfitted with night vision goggles. As the helicopter moves off into the distance, they venture into the opening to retrieve the packages. In a whisper Pebbles asks. “Will they have bugged these?”

Pondering the question Bo-peep responds. “If we were in a dangerous situation, yes; but since it is not I doubt that they would.’

“But how will we know?”

“We don’t know for sure; so we’ll exam each package thoroughly.” Pausing as she approaches the downed chutes. “With the team on assignment, I doubt we have to be concerned. However, since we don’t want Viper to know what we are doing, we’ll check.” She doesn’t tell Pebbles that she has a tracker embedded like all of the team; and if they want to locate her they can.

Not far from the clearing behind Viper’s cabin the hoot of an owl rends the air as he returns from his nightly hunt. The slight breeze rippling the upper branches of the aspen whispers an enchanting melody spawned from nature’s mellow side. Taking the boxes apart and checking each item for any form of transmitter that would disclose their location, the ladies once satisfied that there is none, load their packs and start back over the mountain just as a faint yellow glow lightens the eastern horizon.

Like all of their hikes silence is maintained. The sky brightens with the coming of dawn; and the serenading larks remind Pebbles of one of the many reasons she loves her mountain home. It will be past noon before they reach her little piece of paradise. She once again feels safe in her forest haven. With each day of training she is more and more confident in her ability to protect herself. Now training will be serious, and I am ready. I must devote all my concentration to perfection with whatever challenge Bo-peep assigns.

Observing Pebbles as they move toward their destination Bo-peep recognizes her progress; and surprisingly finds that she looks forward to her complete success. Aware that they are about an hour from the cabin she considers a stop; then decides to press on. Why, it’s just a walk in the park.
 
 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Catherin Elizabet Belle All rights reserved.
Catherin Elizabet Belle has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.