Essay Non-Fiction posted December 15, 2014


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Venice of the North

BURGGE/BRUGES BELGIUM

by Marisa3


At the ungodly hour of 3:00 a.m., I arose and groped around for the alarm that was sounding somewhere in the dark. All the while trying hard to shake off the deep sleep I was in, and recall exactly what possessed me to set an alarm for the dead of night. Suddenly I remembered that I was scheduled for a day trip to Belgium.

It must be the "Dracula" express, as it will be pulling out promptly at 4:00 a.m. I could understand the unholy hour of departure if we were touring graveyards in Transylvania, but this tour includes cathedrals and other religious artifacts. I make the sign of the cross before boarding the bus just for a little extra insurance. (If they start to serve Bloody Marys' from IV bags, I'm out of there!).

Once on board we are allowed to nod back off, if possible, until our rest stop somewhere in France. There we disembark. I allow a minute or two for my eyes to adjust to the interrogation style lighting surrounding the facility; so intense it is as if it were a landing sight for an alien spaceship. I'm certain this establishment could be seen from outer space.

After putting on my sunglasses, I finally make my way to the cafe inside, where I order a cup of tea and a croissant ... aaah yes, this is definitely France, because I have just taken a bite of that obscenely butter laden and flakey pastry the French are known for (to add insult to injury it is stuffed with chocolate). They are as addictive as crack cocaine, but with more subtle side effects. If fed a steady diet of these deadly little buggers, one could end up with arteries that resemble steel rebar.

After a few more hours we finally entered Belgium. The first city we passed through was Brussels. It looked just like the corporate and financial mecca it is known to be. It is also the seat of the European Union and NATO.

We arrive in Burgge (Dutch spelling), Bruges (English/French spelling) by mid-morning.
What a fantastic place. Old Bruges is a medieval city that came into being in the tenth century. It is one of the few cities, which has architecture that was not influenced by the Romans.

During the fifteenth century Bruges flourished as a major trading center in Europe. Today it is a lovely, quaint tourist attraction. There are a number of beautiful cathedrals set in among the old buildings and little shops.

Canals meander through the entire city, where graceful white swans glide along the waterways, and houses, with bay windows that overlook the canals, are situated in cozy proximity to one another.

Bruges is the capital and largest city of the province of West Flanders in the Flemish region of Belgium. Its historic city center is a prominent World Heritage site of UNESCO. Being a canal based city it is sometimes referred to as "The Venice of the North."

Bruges' most famous landmark is its 13th Century belfry, housing a municipal Carillon comprising 48 bells. It is an imposing and most beautiful structure that can be seen from various vantage points throughout the city.

There are so many wonderful sights to take in and there are endless photo ops. I recommend seeing the sculpture Madonna and Child, which can be seen in the transept. It is believed to be Michelangelo's only sculpture to have left Italy within his lifetime.

Additionally, the Basilica of the Holy Blood is something you don't want to miss. The Relic of the Holy Blood, which was brought back to the city after the Second Crusade by Thierry of Alsace, is said to be Christ's blood.

There are numerous shops to explore and many great eating-places. However, Belgium is famous for its chocolate, so there are tons of shops dedicated to this marvelous treat. They have even devoted a museum to this wonderful confection.

"So noble a confection, more than nectar & ambrosia, the true food of the gods."
- Dr. Bachot, 1662

Bruges is known for its fine handmade lace, and while it is rather pricey, it is well worth it based on the quality.

I spent the day seeing this lovely old city on foot and by boat. There are also horse drawn carriages that will take you on a tour, as well.

After a full day of seeing the sights and shopping, we at last climbed back aboard our motor coach and made for home. Once again, darkness enveloped us, but it was great to sit back, relax and partake of a nice glass of champagne.

The return trip found us stopping a second time at the 'alien' outpost (sans the Star Wars bar) for dinner. Believe it or not this place employed actual chefs and the food was excellent. Not like anything you would find on the Greyhound circuit in the states. Bus travelers there have to be hearty folks. They take their lives in their hands when it comes to eating-places on their stops ("Ptomaine Tommy's"). Trust me, these places will never make Zagat and there are no Michelin stars in their future. If you see 'special of the day' on the menu in one of these joints, it is code for fresh road kill. Yes, your mystery meat will come complete with tread marks, compliments of the eighteen wheeler that just ran over it; no extra charge for the interstate 'tenderizing' process. They will even supply you with free toothpicks to remove the blacktop from your teeth. Thoughtful folks at your local bus stop/greasy spoon. Americans, we are a tough bunch, I gotta say.

Fr., Apres des siecles d'esclavage, Le Belge sortant du tombeau, A reconquis par son courage, Son nom, ses droits et son drapeau, Et ta main souveraine et fiere, Peuple desormais indompte, Grava sur ta vieille banniere, Le Roi, la loi, la liberte. --

Translation: "The years of slavery are past,
The Belgian rejoices once more;
Courage restores to him at last
The rights he held of yore.
Strong and firm his grasp will be--
Keeping the ancient flag unfurled
To fling its message on the watchful world:
For king, for right, for liberty.

If you ever find yourself in Belgium, I highly recommend a trip to Bruges.




Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Marisa3 All rights reserved.
Marisa3 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.