General Fiction posted December 13, 2014 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Good
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Break down

A chapter in the book Wilderness Encounter

Plying her with whiskey

by Catherin Elizabet Belle

The trek to the crest of the mountain is laborious even in the cool early morning breeze.  Bo-peep maintains a steady pace but less vigorous than the trip over the day before. Silence is maintained as Pebbles keeps in stride with ‘peep’ remembering to keep her breathing regular. Traversing the mountain trail she is more aware of the path and the sounds around her.  Even noticing the quieting of the birds as they near the nesting trees.
Even so it is hard not to let her mind wander. What did Viper say to Bo-peep and what was her response? I know they had words, even though the sound was barely above a whisper. It was the look in ‘peep’s eyes when I came out of the cabin that was revealing.

As they top the crest, Bo-peep halts under an oak not saying a word. The two hikers sip from their canteens listening to the pine needles swaying in the breeze; overhead soaring against the blue sky is a magnificent Bald Eagle that garners their attention. Glancing at ‘Peep’ a smile turns up the corners of Pebbles lips but ‘peep’ just motions for them to move on.

The downward part of the hike is easier going yet Pebbles remembers how quickly a miss step can send one plummeting out of control and maintains constant vigil as to where she is planting her feet. The pack is beginning to take its toll on her shoulders and back; gripping her jaw firmly with determination she refuses to slow down or give in to the ache.
How does she do it: how does Peep sustain the stride without seemingly to tire?

While Bo-peep is alert to Pebbles tiring, she pushes on. How much can she endure before throwing in the towel; this is just the beginning. Although she is very alert she can’t help thinking of the last conversation with Viper. Damn! He is really hooked on this woman. And, why is she so determined he is not to know what she has asked of me. Damn! Damn! Damn! I don’t like keeping things from Viper or King Pin.

The sun is slowly sinking behind the acme and as the shadows lengthen bringing a gray tone to the sky, the radiant glow in the west highlights the summit. Pebbles scans the landscape realizing that they are only about a couple of miles from the cave. Good! It will be good to see Diablo and Paddy. They’re the only ones I can really trust.

Suddenly Bo-peep stops dropping down in the shadow of a pinon motioning for Pebbles to do the same. Without hesitation she does, listening, wondering what prompted the action. Moving deeper into the shadows Bo-peep waits; she doesn’t have long to wait. Ah, so he did follow. I’m not surprised. I really expected it. Well, he wants me to know that he will follow through on his promise; or I would have never heard him. He is a top notch operative but right now he is a number one rat!

As she hears him move off into the forest, she stands moving forward; Pebbles right behind her. Not long after they arrive outside the cave and for the first time since their departure, Bo-peep speaks. “Let’s get these packs off and in the cave. Then I’ll show you how to treat your aching muscles.” 

Removing her pack and laying it by the entrance she responds, “I wanta check on the horses first.”  Opening the door to the shed, she brings both of her mounts out into the makeshift corral; mounting Diablo bareback circles the corral leading Paddy. As she picks up the pace she is one with the mustangs and everything else ceases to exist outside the fence.

Bo-peep stands in awe as she watches the trio’s interaction, seeing Pebbles face aglow and her eyes dancing with joy as she quietly coos to the horses. Leaving Pebbles to her riding, she drags the packs into the cave unloading them on the small table.

Soon Pebbles enters the cave “The horses are taken care of for the night and secure in the shed. I heard a coyote off in the distance; his howl sounds so lonesome, yet I find pleasure in the sound.”  Moving to the table to help put the items away she asks, “What did you want to show me?”

Smiling Peep says, “You seemed to have taken care of stretching your aching muscles by riding bareback.” Pebbles beams with the compliment, but says nothing. “Okay, let’s get something to eat and plan what we are going to do until Viper brings the requested equipment.”

Looking at Peep, “Okay.”

Bo-peep sketches a plan for the next week that includes several five mile hikes with sixty pound packs; calisthenics to promote strength, endurance, flexibility and increase the cardiovascular system due to regular and consistent demands. Their days start at dawn continuing throughout the day. Pebbles is improving daily, but something about the stature of her body bothers Peep, something she can’t quite recognize. Late afternoon on the sixth day it becomes clear, Pebbles is always very tense and not getting the full benefit of the workout routine. She needs to loosen up. Wonder how much booze is in the cave. Viper should be arriving any day with the supplies I asked for; and I included a case of scotch in the request.

   Finishing up the ten mile hike they approach the cave only to see Viper standing in the shade of the barn. Bo-peep notices the tension increase in Pebbles shoulders as they near the corral. Damn I gotta find out what is going on in that girls head.  Drawing near Bo-peep hails him, “Howdy, Viper, Did you bring the stuff I requested?” She is surprised to see Pebbles move on by without stopping, remove her pack and enter the cave without a word.

In what becomes an angry stance Viper demands, “Bo-peep, what the hell is that all about?” As he waits for a response he watches every step that Pebbles takes, the stiffness in her spine and the haughty glare in those sparking green eyes he knows so well. “Damn it are you going to answer me?”

Not sure she likes his attitude Bo-peep stiffens her spine and glares at him, “Buster!  Back off now!”

Two sets of eyes ablaze like fire breathing dragons then with a low but firm voice, “Viper, I’m not sure, but if you brought the case of scotch I asked for I intend to find out.”

“You gonna get her drunk?”

“Well, now if you know a better way to loosen her tongue other than smothering her inhibitions with booze I’ll listen, that is short of torture.”  Removing her pack, “The attitude has been building ever since we left your cabin. I have an idea what is bothering her, but I need to know for sure before it goes any further.”

Looking at her with concern radiating from his blue eyes, “Wanta share?”

Pondering the question she hesitates briefly, “No, if it’s what I think telling you would only complicated the matter.”

Puzzled by her statement he replies, “Okay, I put everything you asked for in the cave. Let me know it you need anything else.” He turns to walk away.

Hesitating only a minute but not giving him time to move away, “Viper, I know you are tracking our movements and that you will continue. So I have one request, don’t let Pebbles know.  Her awareness of things around her is improving every time we move through the forest. And if what I suspect is true, her trust will be even more tenuous.”

Looking intent at the seriousness in her face and the tone of her voice, “Okay, Bo-peep I’ll make sure.” Without another word he disappears into the forest.

As she enters the cave Pebbles ask, “What did he want?”

“He told me he put the supplies I asked him to get in the cave and asked if there was anything else we needed. I also told him I would let him know if there was.” Moving toward the back of the cave where the new packs of equipment were laying she reaches into one of the packs holding up a bottle of scotch, “Hey Pebbles, Let’s reward ourselves; have an early dinner and relax with a glass or two of scotch.” Wagging the bottle in the air, “Whatcha say?”

Grinning, “Hell yeah.”

Laughter echoes through the cave, hysterical laughter. The two ladies have been drinking for several hours with dinner dishes still on the table and two empty scotch bottles laying among them.  Bo-peep seems drunk as she intends; however Pebbles is soused. “Pebbles what were you saying?”

Taking a swallow of her drink she looks through half closed eyes, “I don’t know; what were we talking about?”

That was just the opening Bo-peep had been angling for, “What’s with you and Viper? Don’t you like him?”

Slurring her words, “What’s it to you?” She sits her glass down and reaches for the bottle but finds it empty. “Any more of this stuff?”

Bo-peep goes to the pack removes the bottle; and returning to the table opens it pouring Pebbles glass full this time. Sitting across from her she replies, “Nothing really. You grew hostile after we got to his cabin. Just curious.”

Settling down listening to the still of the night and the rhythmic breathing of Pebbles she ponders how to get beyond the distrust expressed; and the hangover she knows she will have in the morning.

The rest of the night passes slowly with the sound of drunken snoring emanating from the other cot, Bo-peep places her hands under her head and smiles. Yes, the day is going to prove very interesting. Hearing the bats return to the inner depths of the cave, she rises being deliberately noisy in preparation for the days hike.  Shortly, she hears sounds of Pebbles moving on the floor of the cave and bangs on the canteen insuring an angry retort from her.

“OOOOHHHH! Stop that infernal racket!” Holding her head and trying to stand at the same time proves fruitless as she stumbles back to a sitting position beside the cot.

Bo-peep hands her a steaming cup of coffee, “Get a move on gal. We have a ten mile hike today with sixty pound packs, with clouds moving in from the west.” She isn’t surprised when Pebbles groans in protest.

Still cradling her head, “We can’t hike in the rain, it’s too dangerous. I’m going back to sleep.

Not understanding her admonition of the danger, “Get a move on! We leave in ten minute and we are hiking in the rain or snow, make no difference to me.”

“Looking at Bo-peep with eyes shooting darts she manages to get to her feet. Placing her hands on her hips in a defiant stance slurring her words yells, “I’m not hiking in the rain!”

Bo-peep halts what she is doing matches her stance to the one Pebbles maintains, “Is that your final word?”

Without hesitating, “Hell yes!"

Shaking her head she starts picking up her personal items placing them in the pack she had when she arrived at Viper’s request. And here she had stayed at the request of the angry woman standing defiant in front of her. “Well, Pebbles, I never figured you for a quitter. Guess I was wrong.  Laying the loaded pack by the entrance, “I’ll let Viper know I’m leaving.”

Defiance still ringing in her voice, “What the hell you mean you’re leaving. We had a deal!”

“Yeah, we did, but DID is the operative word. You were to do what I said no exceptions. You have just refused to make the scheduled hike across the mountain today because of the prospect of rain.” Sneering, “That breaks the verbal agreement we had, Pebbles.”

At that final declaration from Bo-peep, she collapses on the floor of the cave burying her head on the cot convulsive sobs roaring through the emptiness. Bo-peep continues to stand near the exit not sure what caused the melt down, but letting it play out of its own accord. Although her words are muffled Pebbles speaks, “Hiking in the rain is how Viper found me.  I would be dead now if he had not.” She is interrupted by a siege of hiccups. Raising her head her eyes bloodshot from a night of drinking and her face red and swollen from the heaving sobs, “Peep, I was a fool trying to catch him sneaking around my place; and in spite of my hiking experience I still slipped and cascaded down the mountain stopped from going over a hundred foot cliff by wrapping around a tree. Hiccup! That’s where he found me.”

Moving to a chair near her, Bo-peep gazes into eyes full of fear. “Pebbles, you have survived greater trauma than sliding down a rain soaked mountain. You have escaped the drug cartel and a dishonest greedy federal officer who traded your safety for money.”
Watching a new awareness peeking through the red swollen tear soaked eyes she continues, “You wanted to learn how to defend yourself so you would never have to be afraid again. What has changed?”  As she waits for Pebbles to answer, she acknowledges that the break down was well over due. Now, we can really get to work; as soon as she realizes the running and fear is behind her.

Sniffles and a series of hiccups followed by a slight smile turning up the corners of her mouth, “I really lost it, Peep. What’s wrong with me?”

Grinning as she stands, “Pebbles, not a damn thing. Get your ass in gear we’re late with ten miles of rough terrain ahead of us. You got five minutes. Move it?

Jumping, no stumbling to her feet, Pebbles dresses quickly grabs her pack and crawls out the door in the allotted time. Stepping into the clearing she feeds the horses, then straps on her pack as a slight mist begins to layer a thin film of moisture across the land.  

Moving down the mountain Bo-peep pauses to catch a glimpse of Pebbles and isn’t surprised to see her step livelier and her face aglow with what she believes to be peace enhanced by determination. She really is carrying a lighter load……It’s gonna be alright.
 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Catherin Elizabet Belle All rights reserved.
Catherin Elizabet Belle has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.