General Fiction posted December 10, 2014 Chapters:  ...55 56 -57- 58... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The Oracle receives help as the others make plans.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Meetings and Manueverings

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other
Previously, the arrows meant for Julia struck Leopold as he pursued her. He fell dead. Julia and Valerius escaped into the forest. Trellitia and the Oracle were nearing escape when two of the soldiers began to pursue them. Petrus and Abramus rushed to the village seeking help. Cervantes left to find re-inforcements for Cicero. Cicero had no awareness that Cervantes had no loyalty to Cicero and his obsession with demons. We continue now as the Oracle, having seen to Trellitia's escape, now plans to face the soldiers in pursuit. He is too weary to continue.




~~~~~~~~The Oracle and the wolf
 

The Oracle's lungs burned and he staggered now as he tried to lift his legs to run. He could run no more. He turned to await the soldiers who pursued him. A calm came over him. She is safe now. I have done what I set out to do. My honor is restored. Lord … remember me standing here now.
 
He stood peering into the trees. He closed his eyes for a moment as a breeze cooled his face. He opened his eyes to see a wolf before him. He tensed at the sight. The wolf made no move but to cock its head a bit to the right. It slowly turned and walked a few paces, stopped and looked back. The Oracle now cocked his head in like fashion, almost comically, if one had been there to witness the exchange. The Oracle was unsure of where Trellitia lived. Was she indeed a witch? He laughed out loud at his foolish thought. The wolf walked a few more paces, stopped and looked back.
 
"Yes, I see, my friend. I am to follow you. Have you cubs to feed?" The Oracle laughed again. "Very well, I'm sure there are stranger things in the world. I once thought I might be amongst them. Now … I'm not so sure."
 
Trellitia heard footsteps behind her and turned quickly. She smiled broadly. "I knew they stood no chance against the mystical powers of the Oracle." She rushed forth to greet him.
 
He noticed that the wolf was nowhere to be found. "Shall I tell you of my great bumbling luck or make up a grand tale of spells, incantations, soldiers turned to winged doves and wolves who guide mystics through the enchanted forest?"
 
"That sounds perfectly believable to me. But, these are the things a witch is familiar with." Within a few minutes, they were having tea and enjoying life in a manner people who have nearly lost it do.
 

~~~~~~~~Cassius and Travis come upon the shelter
 

Cassius looked to the shelter as well as Trellitia's home nearby. "I can only hope all have made it here, let us inquire."
 
Cassius knocked softly on Trellitia's door. "Problem's with your leg? I thought I instructed you to let it rest. You look as though you have been using it considerably." Trellitia stood back from the door in invitation.
 
Cassius smiled seeing the Oracle with a cup of tea in his hand. "A nice day for a cup of tea, indeed."
 
Pleasantries were exchanged for a brief moment.
 
Cassius spoke, "We must return now. Everyone here is safe, My sister and Valerius remain at risk. They know the forest, but Cicero is quite fervent in his quest. He is not one to give up."
 
The Oracle rose, "Of course, I will accompany you."
 
Cassius responded, "That will not be necessary, there is still the need for a presence here should this place be discovered. I'm sure all would rest easier here with your presence."
 
"Nonsense, I come with you. The battle is out there. That is where we stop them. They need never come close to this place. It ends far from here." The Oracle spoke with clarity. His tone was clear.
 
Cassius nodded and turned to leave with Travis and the Oracle close behind. "If there is a spell or incantation in your satchel, now would be a good time to invoke it."
 
Trellitia smiled slightly as the three of them made haste to the forest.
 

~~~~~~~Cervantes encounters Abramus and the others
 

Cervantes pulled up hard on his reigns as he encountered the small group of villagers led by Abramus and Petrus.
 
Abramus dismounted and approached the carriage. Two of the villagers, former soldiers, drew their bows. "Cervantes, where is your destination?"
 
Cervantes saw Thurston and addressed him, "Father, all is as you have said. Both Leopold and Rastavius are dead. Cicero leads soldiers in search of Valerius, Julia and the others. I beg your forgiveness. I would not have believed the madness had I not seen it for myself. I don't know how the name of God can be spoken in such evil circumstances. It is blasphemy for those men to even utter His name."
 
Thurston had a look of relief come over him. "Praise God, son. You let the Lord guide you to the truth. We will discuss these matters at another time. Tell us all you know and tell us where we go to rescue our friends."
 
Cervantes seemed to be on the verge of collapse, but he had much to tell. "Rastavius and Leopold have met their demise. I believe Rastavius may have sought redemption at the very end, I pray so. Leopold received the arrows aimed at Julia. I believe the hand of justice dealt a timely blow to him. He spit in the face of kindness, I could scarcely believe his venom. In spite of his cruelty to them, those people did not hesitate to offer him aid."
 
Cervantes seemed to slump in the saddle. He looked up with tears in his eyes. "I don't know how to right myself with you and these fine people. The Lord will forgive me, I know this. How can I do his work when I have failed so piteously?"
 
Thurston dismounted and came to his side. "Forgiveness is the truth of our faith, son. Through our forgiveness in you, your hope will grow and you will earn trust. We have no time for this now, my friend. Where are Julia and Valerius?"
 
"They escaped into the forest … Trellitia and a man you do not know, as well. Two soldiers pursued Trellitia, but came back with naught. Cicero gathered his soldiers and pursues Julia and Valerius. They believe I am recruiting reinforcements from the village. I have deceived him into believing my support for his doings. I don't know…."
 
Abramus dismounted and hurried to the two priests. "That may be useful. Cicero would never trust Thurston or myself and Petrus, but most of these men here are unknown to him. You could ride in with them and join the search. Ha! You'd be Cicero's hero!"
 
Petrus had joined them. "Yes, it would be much like the great wooden horse that was delivered onto Troy. Well, the crux of it in any case." He turned to the others. "You will follow Father Cervantes. Cicero believes him to be an ally. You will be there side by side with the soldiers should they find my son and Julia. What better place for a surprise attack!"
 
A sense of excitement came over the group. Cervantes mounted his carriage.
 
Abramus mounted his horse and rode up to the young priest. "We will be nearby, but out of view. The soldiers are given to battle by their nature. They will be no easy conquest. You are giving us our best chance. Thank you."
 
Cervantes nodded his head in gratitude and urged his horses forward. The others followed close behind. Abramus, Petrus and Father Thurston followed at some distance.
 

~~~~~~~Cicero and the soldiers search
 

"This forest is too large and we are too few." Cicero spoke to the soldier in charge, Quintus.
 
"We search for a hare in a field of burrows. We have time as our ally. Surely they don't intend a life in the forest." Quintus wiped his brow and shielded his eyes from the sun. "This only becomes more tedious with each hour that passes."
 
"We need more men. It is that simple. Send an envoy to request additional soldiers. We will guard the roadways. We will keep them trapped and then we will flush them out. We cannot allow their escape. There are two dead priests on that field. Surely such news will not sit well with the state. The church's favor can be an asset in many ways." Cicero looked with a steady gaze for a response.
 
Quintus had no trouble understanding his meaning. It would be a mark against him to go against his orders and cause ill will with the church. He turned wearily towards his men. "Arthur, return with what you have heard discussed here. Emphasize the wonton murders of two priests and the concern of the church in these matters. You do catch my meaning?"
 
Arthur answered, "As you command". He had no other words and no expression on his face. He turned his mount and set off at a gallop as ordered.




 




There is an end to this section coming soon. Two or three segments at the most. (I hope) I love the input and suggestions and help you all have been giving me as well. Thank you so very much!

List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Bishop Julius Brosius- A Bishop in the hiearchy of the church.

Father Cervantes- a young priest that Leopold has taken under his wing.

Winslow-husband/Adeline-wife/Noreen-daughter/Grenadier-disturbed son-- a family cast out of a nearby village when their son was accused of demon possession. The family fled to save their son's life. New patient for Valerius.

The Oracle- A strange man that Julia and the others meet in the forest and invite to join them.

Father Cicero-A priest from a nearby village that had been performing prayer and other rites on Grenadier to drive out the demon he believes the child has inside him. He is searching for Winslow and his family.

Father Travis-Valerius travels to treat him and finds him to be at odds with Father Cicero over demon possesion.



The story takes place after 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her. Other patients come to Valerius and they are in danger as well.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.